Swedish Tax Agency

Personal identity number/Civic registration

Persons who have a residence permit valid for one year or more can register in Sweden at the Swedish Tax Agency and receive a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). The personal identity number consists of 10 digits; birth date and four check digits. This is important in Sweden as it is used for all official transactions, such as opening a bank account, the health system, car registration etc. The application is made at the local Tax Office in person, processing time is about 3 to 5 weeks.

If you have a residence permit valid for less than a year you will be given a coordination number (samordningsnummer). The coordination number can be used when opening a bank account or get a Swedish driving licence. Please note that a coordination number does not entitle you to the healthcare benefits connected to the personal identity number.
The application for a coordination number can only be done by the University and not by an individual person.

More information at the Swedish Tax Agency

Updated: 2015-05-08

Editor: Linnea Sundström