Ajay PradhanTitle: Researcher School/office: School of Science and Technology
Phone: +46 19 303735
About Ajay Pradhan
Ajay Pradhan (Docent/Associate Prof.) is an Associate Senior Lecturer at the School of Science and Technology. Dr. Pradhan has a background in Biotechnology, Developmental Biology, Molecular Biology and Toxicology. He performed his doctoral studies at Örebro University and Post-doctoral studies at the University of Southern California.
Ajay Pradhan's research focuses on understanding how male and female brains develop to show sex specific differences. Brain sex differentiation is a complex yet fascinating research area. Sex differences in the brain not only regulate reproductive functions, but also impacts cognitive abilities and susceptibility to neurological diseases. In his research, Dr. Pradhan tries to understand how steroid hormones and genes are involved in the regulation of brain sex differentiation. Different tools including CRISPR/Cas9, transcriptomics, proteomics, behaviour and imaging are used to understand the enigma of brain sex differentiation. Model systems including zebrafish, primary neuronal cultures and cell lines are used in his research.
Apart from understanding brain sex differentiation, Dr. Pradhan is also involved in understanding the impact of pollutants on the health and physiology of living organisms. The increase in environmental pollution has resulted in the emergence of several health related problems. Pollution has been suggested to have a positive correlation with the increasing cases of neurological diseases, obesity and infertility. However, it is not clearly understood how pollutants such as plasticizers trigger different diseases. His research focuses on understanding the mechanisms of action of different pollutants in the onset of neurological, metabolism and reproductive defects.
Dr. Pradhan is actively involved in teaching activities and course co-ordination in biology courses. His teaching area includes Molecular biology, Genetics, Toxicology and Developmental Biology. He teaches students from different academic levels such as masters, bachelors and high school.
Articles in journals
- Zhai, G. , Jia, J. , Bereketoglu, C. , Yin, Z. & Pradhan, A. (2022). Sex-specific differences in zebrafish brains. Biology of Sex Differences, 13 (1).
- Saad, N. , Bereketoglu, C. & Pradhan, A. (2021). Di(isononyl) cyclohexane-1,2-dicarboxylate (DINCH) alters transcriptional profiles, lipid metabolism and behavior in zebrafish larvae. Heliyon, 7 (9).
- Serçinoğlu, O. , Bereketoglu, C. , Olsson, P. & Pradhan, A. (2021). In silico and in vitro assessment of androgen receptor antagonists. Computational biology and chemistry (Print), 92.
- Bereketoglu, C. , Modig, C. , Pradhan, A. , Andersson, P. L. , Stasinopoulou, S. , Mitsiou, D. J. , Alexis, M. N. & Olsson, P. (2021). The brominated flame retardants TBECH and DPTE alter prostate growth, histology and gene expression patterns in the mouse. Reproductive Toxicology, 102, 43-55.
- Bereketoglu, C. , Nacar, G. , Sari, T. , Mertoglu, B. & Pradhan, A. (2021). Transcriptomic analysis of nonylphenol effect on Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PeerJ, 9.
- Bereketoglu, C. , Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2020). Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) cause male-biased sex differentiation in zebrafish. Aquatic Toxicology, 223.
- Seyoum, A. , Pradhan, A. , Jass, J. & Olsson, P. (2020). Perfluorinated alkyl substances impede growth, reproduction, lipid metabolism and lifespan in Daphnia magna. Science of the Total Environment, 737.
- Pradhan, A. , Bereketoglu, C. , Martin, L. , Duhagon, J. & Olsson, P. (2020). The food preservative ethoxyquin impairs zebrafish development, behavior and alters gene expression profile. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 135.
- Shu, T. , Zhai, G. , Pradhan, A. , Olsson, P. & Yin, Z. (2020). Zebrafish cyp17a1 Knockout Reveals that Androgen-Mediated Signaling is Important for Male Brain Sex Differentiation. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 295.
- Bereketoglu, C. & Pradhan, A. (2019). Comparative transcriptional analysis of methylparaben and propylparaben in zebrafish. Science of the Total Environment, 671, 129-139.
- Kharlyngdoh, J. B. , Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2018). Androgen receptor modulation following combination exposure to brominated flame-retardants. Scientific Reports, 8 (1).
- Pradhan, A. , Olsson, P. & Jass, J. (2018). Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate and diethyl phthalate disrupt lipid metabolism, reduce fecundity and shortens lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans. Chemosphere, 190, 375-382.
- Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2018). Germ cell depletion in zebrafish leads to incomplete masculinization of the brain. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 265 (SI), 15-21.
- Saju, J. M. , Hossain, M. S. , Liew, W. C. , Pradhan, A. , Thevasagayam, N. M. , Tan, L. S. E. , Anand, A. , Olsson, P. & et al. (2018). Heat Shock Factor 5 Is Essential for Spermatogenesis in Zebrafish. Cell reports, 25 (12), 3252-3261.
- Pradhan, A. , Ivarsson, P. , Ragnvaldsson, D. , Berg, H. , Jass, J. & Olsson, P. (2017). Transcriptional responses of zebrafish to complex metal mixtures in laboratory studies overestimates the responses observed with environmental water. Science of the Total Environment, 584-585, 1138-1146.
- Kharlyngdoh, J. B. , Asnake, S. , Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2016). TBECH, 1,2-dibromo-4-(1,2 dibromoethyl) cyclohexane, alters androgen receptor regulation in response to mutations associated with prostate cancer. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 307, 91-101.
- Kumar, R. , Pradhan, A. , Khan, F. A. , Lindström, P. , Ragnvaldsson, D. , Ivarsson, P. , Olsson, P. & Jass, J. (2015). Comparative analysis of stress induced gene expression in caenorhabditis elegans following exposure to environmental and lab reconstituted complex metal mixture. PLOS ONE, 10 (7).
- Banjop-Kharlygdoh, J. , Pradhan, A. , Asnake, S. , Walstad, A. , Ivarsson, P. & Olsson, P. (2015). Identification of a group of brominated flame retardants as novel androgen receptor antagonists and potential neuronal and endocrine disrupters. Environment International, 74, 60-70.
- Pradhan, A. , Asnake, S. , Kharlyngdoh, J. B. , Modig, C. & Olsson, P. (2015). In silico and biological analysis of anti-androgen activity of the brominated flame retardants ATE, BATE and DPTE in zebrafish. Chemico-Biological Interactions, 233, 35-45.
- Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2015). Inhibition of retinoic acid synthesis disrupts spermatogenesis and fecundity in zebrafish. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 217, 81-91.
- Asnake, S. , Pradhan, A. , Kharlyngdoh, J. B. , Modig, C. & Olsson, P. (2015). The brominated flame retardants TBP-AE and TBP-DBPE antagonize the chicken androgen receptor and act as potential endocrine disrupters in chicken LMH cells. Toxicology in Vitro, 29 (8), 1993-2000.
- Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2015). Zebrafish sexual behavior: role of sex steroid hormones and prostaglandins. Behavioral and Brain Functions, 11.
- Asnake, S. , Pradhan, A. , Banjop-Kharlyngdoh, J. , Modig, C. & Olsson, P. (2014). 1,2-dibromo-4-(1,2 dibromoethyl) cyclohexane (TBECH)-mediated steroid hormone receptor activation and gene regulation in chicken LMH cells. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 33 (4), 891-899.
- Elmarghani, A. , Pradhan, A. , Seyoum, A. , Khalaf, H. , Ros, T. , Forsberg, L. , Nermark, T. , Osterman, L. & et al. (2014). Contribution of pharmaceuticals, fecal bacteria and endotoxin to the inflammatory responses to inland waters. Science of the Total Environment, 488-489, 228-235.
- Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2014). Juvenile Ovary to Testis Transition in Zebrafish Involves Inhibition of Ptges. Biology of Reproduction, 91 (2), 1-15.
- Pradhan, A. , Kharlyngdoh, J. B. , Asnake, S. & Olsson, P. (2013). The brominated flame retardant TBECH activates the zebrafish (Danio rerio) androgen receptor, alters gene transcription and causes developmental disturbances. Aquatic Toxicology, 142, 63-72.
- Pradhan, A. , Khalaf, H. , Ochsner, S. A. , Sreenivasan, R. , Koskinen, J. , Karlsson, M. , Karlsson, J. , McKenna, N. J. & et al. (2012). Activation of NF-kappa B Protein Prevents the Transition from Juvenile Ovary to Testis and Promotes Ovarian Development in Zebrafish. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 287 (45), 37926-37938.
- Bereketoglu, C. & Pradhan, A. (2022). Plasticizers: negative impacts on the thyroid hormone system. Environmental Science and Pollution Research.
- Baksi, S. & Pradhan, A. (2021). Thyroid hormone: sex-dependent role in nervous system regulation and disease. Biology of Sex Differences, 12 (1).
- Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2020). Sex differences in severity and mortality from COVID-19: are males more vulnerable?. Biology of Sex Differences, 11 (1).
- Seyoum, A. & Pradhan, A. (2019). Effect of phthalates on development, reproduction, fat metabolism and lifespan in Daphnia magna. Science of the Total Environment, 654, 969-977.
- Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. (2016). Regulation of zebrafish gonadal sex differentiation. AIMS Molecular Science, 3 (4), 567-584.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Pradhan, A. (2015). Molecular mechanisms of zebrafish sex differentiation and sexual behavior. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro university.
- Banjop Kharlyngdoh, J. , Pradhan, A. , Asnake, S. & Olsson, P. Androgen receptor mutations associated with prostate cancer lead to differential activation by DBE-DBCH diastereomers.
- Pradhan, A. , Asnake, S. , Kharlyngdoh, J. B. , Modig, C. & Olsson, P. In silico and biological analysis of anti-androgen activity of the brominated flame retardants ATE, BATE and DPTE in zebrafish.
- Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. Inhibition of Retinoic Acid Synthesis Disrupts Spermatogenesis and Fecundity in Zebrafish.
- Asnake, S. , Pradhan, A. , Kharlyngdoh, J. B. & Olsson, P. The brominated flame retardants TBP-AE and TBP-DBPE antagonize the chicken androgen receptor and alter gene expression in chicken LMH cells.
- Pradhan, A. & Olsson, P. Zebrafish Sexual Behavior : role of sex steroid hormones and prostaglandins.