About Neziha Akalin
Neziha Akalin is a Ph.D. student in the Centre for Applied Autonomous Sensor Systems (AASS). She is also a researcher in the EU MSCA-ITN project SOCRATES. Neziha Akalin received her MSc degree in Computer Engineering from Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Neziha Akalin's research interests include social and assistive robots. Exploring how humans interact with technology is becoming more and more important with the emergence of new technologies, especially with robots. Her current research is focused on understanding factors that affect the perceived safety of individuals during their interactions with robots using qualitative and quantitative measures.
She has worked as a teaching and research assistant in the Computer Engineering Department of Istanbul Technical University. During this period, she also worked as a researcher on several research projects. In one of these projects, she used humanoid robots for teaching sign language to deaf children.
Articles in journals
- Akalin, N. , Kiselev, A. , Kristoffersson, A. & Loutfi, A. (2023). A Taxonomy of Factors Influencing Perceived Safety in Human-Robot Interaction. International Journal of Social Robotics.
- Akalin, N. , Kristoffersson, A. & Loutfi, A. (2022). Do you feel safe with your robot? Factors influencing perceived safety in human-robot interaction based on subjective and objective measures. International journal of human-computer studies, 158.
- Korn, O. , Akalin, N. & Gouveia, R. (2021). Understanding Cultural Preferences for Social Robots: A Study in German and Arab Communities. ACM Transactions on Human-Robot Interaction, 10 (2).
- Gürpinar, C. , Uluer, P. , Akalin, N. & Köse, H. (2020). Sign Recognition System for an Assistive Robot Sign Tutor for Children. International Journal of Social Robotics, 12 (2), 355-369.
- Akalin, N. , Kristoffersson, A. & Loutfi, A. (2019). The Influence of Feedback Type in Robot-Assisted Training. Multimodal Technologies and Interaction, 3 (4).
- Akalin, N. & Loutfi, A. (2021). Reinforcement Learning Approaches in Social Robotics. Sensors, 21 (4).
Chapters in books
- Akalin, N. , Kristoffersson, A. & Loutfi, A. (2019). Evaluating the Sense of Safety and Security in Human - Robot Interaction with Older People. In: Oliver Korn, Social Robots: Technological, Societal and Ethical Aspects of Human-Robot Interaction (pp. 237-264). . Springer.
- Akalin, N. , Krakovsky, M. , Avioz-Sarig, O. , Loutfi, A. & Edan, Y. (2021). Robot-Assisted Training with Swedish and Israeli Older Adults. In: Haizhou Li; Shuzhi Sam Ge; Yan Wu; Agnieszka Wykowska; Hongsheng He; Xiaorui Liu; Dongyu Li; Jairo Perez-Osorio, Social Robotics 13th International Conference, ICSR 2021, Singapore, Singapore, November 10–13, 2021, Proceedings. Paper presented at 13th International Conference on Social Robotics (ICSR 2021), Singapore, Singapore, November 10–13, 2021. (pp. 487-496). Springer.
- Akalin, N. , Kiselev, A. , Kristoffersson, A. & Loutfi, A. (2018). Enhancing Social Human-Robot Interaction with Deep Reinforcement Learning.. In: Proc. FAIM/ISCA Workshop on Artificial Intelligence for Multimodal Human Robot Interaction, 2018. Paper presented at FAIM/ISCA Workshop on Artificial Intelligence for Multimodal Human Robot Interaction (AI-MHRI), Stockholm, Sweden 14-15 July, 2018. (pp. 48-50). MHRI.
- Akalin, N. , Kiselev, A. , Kristoffersson, A. & Loutfi, A. (2018). The Relevance of Social Cues in Assistive Training with a Social Robot. In: Ge, S.S., Cabibihan, J.-J., Salichs, M.A., Broadbent, E., He, H., Wagner, A., Castro-González, Á., 10th International Conference on Social Robotics, ICSR 2018, Proceedings. Paper presented at 10th International Conference on Social Robotics (ICSR 2018), Qingdao, China, November 28-30, 2018. (pp. 462-471). Springer.
- Akalin, N. , Kiselev, A. , Kristoffersson, A. & Loutfi, A. (2017). An Evaluation Tool of the Effect of Robots in Eldercare on the Sense of Safety and Security. In: Kheddar, Abderrahmane; Yoshida, Eiichi; Ge, Shuzhi Sam; Suzuki, Kenji; Cabibihan, John-John; Eyssel, Friederike; He, Hongsheng, Social Robotics 9th International Conference, ICSR 2017, Tsukuba, Japan, November 22-24, 2017, Proceedings. Paper presented at 9th International Conference on Social Robotics (ICSR 2017), Tsukuba, Japan, November 22-24, 2017. (pp. 628-637). Springer International Publishing.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Akalin, N. (2022). Perceived Safety in Social Human-Robot Interaction. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro University.
- Akalin, N. , Kristoffersson, A. , Kiselev, A. & Loutfi, A. Guidelines for Identifying Factors Influencing Perceived Safety in Human-Robot Interaction.