Vladimir Cotal San MartinTitle: Lecturer School/office: School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
Phone: +46 19 303808
About Vladimir Cotal San Martin
Ph.D. Media and Communication studies, Örebro University
M.A. Sociology, Umeå University
Research project and areas of research interests
Works on his PhD thesis in which he analyses mediated representations of working class working conditions in traditional and independent media as well as in social media. His research interests also include global media and transformations, media and globalization, global journalism, world news, critical theory, and critical discourse analysis.
Earlier studies he has conducted has focused on news medias representations of the (working)class, swedish immigrant suburbs and ethnicity. Social movements and union organization in a globalized world has also been part of his earlier research studies and interests.
- Media and Communication, basic level (Media history, Media Ownership. Course Coordinator for Media history, media structure and convergence)
- Media and Communication, Intermediate level (Qualitative Method, Critical Discourse Studies)
- Media and Communication, candidate level (Supervision of bachelor thesis)
- Sociology, basic level (Class and Stratification)
- Sociology, candidate level (Qualitative Methods, Sociological Theory and Supervision of bachelor thesis)
Accepted papers and/or Presentations
-2018: ECREA, Lugano, Schweiz. "Representing Workers' Conditions in Developing Countries. A Cross-National Comparison of Mainstream Newspapers"
-2017: IAMCR, Cartagena, Colombia. "How Newspapers in Five Countries Represent Working Conditions in 'Developing Countries'"
-2015: LSE (London School of Economics) Media and Communications PhD Symposium, Struggle and Resistance in Media and Communications: Structure versus Agency? Presentation: "It's Not You and Me!: Labour Media on the Web and the representation of Workers' Working Conditions"