Symposium on Language and Prejudice
13 november 2019 10:00 — 15 november 2019 13:00 Hörsal BIO, Forumhuset, Örebro universitet
The focus of this symposium will be “Language and Prejudice”.
Prejudice is typically based on socially constructed ideas of identity, such as ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class, etc. Language bias and stereotyping (negative or positive) is a key component in this practice.
We invite educators and researchers to submit abstracts including, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Language discrimination/bias
- Language diversity and pedagogy
- Dialect/Accent Bias
- Language and immigration
- Cross-cultural aspects and language bias
- Intersectionality of identities and language
- Inherent bias built into language structures
- Language bias in policies and legislation.
Read more about the about the symposium at www.oru.se/humes/LanguagePrejudice