Yiren ZhaoTjänstetitel: Doktorand Organisation: Musikhögskolan
Telefon: 019 303432
Om Yiren Zhao
Yiren Zhao is a doctoral candidate in musicology. She is affiliated with the research projects Music and Human Bejings and ACCLAIM (Aesthetic, Culture and Media). The topic of her dissertation is Shaping the Meaning of Chinese Music Subcultures. In this research, she aims to figure out what are the meanings attached to music subcultures, such as metal, rap, rock, and punk, in the Chinese context and how are these shaped? As conclusions, she proposes the contextual, individual and musical meanings of Chinese music subcultures in Beijing.
- Zhao, Y. (2023). Shaping the Meaning of Chinese Music Subcultures. (Doctoral dissertation). Örebro: Örebro University.
- Zhao, Y. (2022). "Punk lifts me up!": Shaping the meaning of Chinese punk subculture. Konferensbidrag vid Punk Scholars Network 9th Conference & Postgraduate Symposium, London, December 2-3, 2022.
- Zhao, Y. (2022). Shaping the meaning of Chinese music subcultures: Myth, modernity and identification. Konferensbidrag vid The Annual Plenary Conference of the Society for Musicology in Ireland, June 24-26, 2022.
- Zhao, Y. (2021). How can you not be rebellious? Chinese rock, context and modernity. Konferensbidrag vid The British Forum for Ethnomusicology Autumn Conference: Ethnomusicology in 2022 and Beyond, [DIGITAL], November 12-13,2021.
- Zhao, Y. (2021). The self-positioning of Chinese metal music. Konferensbidrag vid The International Conference Keep It Simple, Make It Fast! DIY Cultures and Global Challenges (KISMIF Conference 2021), Porto, July 6-10, 2021.
- Zhao, Y. (2020). Shaping the meaning of music subculture: A comparative study in Beijing and Stockholm. Konferensbidrag vid Musikforskning idag 2020 Conference, Lund, June 10, 2020.
- Zhao, Y. (2019). Music Subcultures and the Mainstream in China, 1979-2019. Konferensbidrag vid IASPM-CSTM Joint Conference 2019, Montréal, May 24-26, 2019.
- Zhao, Y. (2019). The embodiments of Chinese identity in Chinese black metal. Konferensbidrag vid The International Black Metal Theory Symposium, Ljubljana, April 18-19, 2019.