James WhiteTitle: Researcher School/office: School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
Phone: +46 19 301312
About James White
James Merricks White is a postdoctoral researcher in Sociology, where he is studying the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services. His research interests include environmental expertise, standardisation and governance.
James completed his PhD research at Maynooth University in Ireland. His thesis explored the work of 'ISO/TC 268 Sustainable cities and communities', the principal city standards technical committee of the International Organization for Standardization.
Articles in journals
- Lidskog, R. , Standring, A. & White, J. M. (2022). Environmental expertise for social transformation: Roles and responsibilities for social science. Environmental Sociology, 8 (3), 255-266.
- White, J. M. & Lidskog, R. (2022). Ignorance and the regulation of artificial intelligence. Journal of Risk Research, 25 (4), 488-500.
- White, J. M. & Kitchin, R. (2021). For or Against 'The Business of Benchmarking'?. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 45 (2), 385-388.
- White, J. M. (2021). Standardising the city as an object of comparison: The promise, limits and perceived benefits of ISO 37120. Telematics and informatics, 57.
- Hulme, M. , Lidskog, R. , White, J. M. & Standring, A. (2020). Social scientific knowledge in times of crisis: What climate change can learn from coronavirus (and vice versa). Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change, 11 (4).
- White, J. M. (2019). On the Difficulty of Agreeing upon a Universal Logic for City Standards: A Response to Schindler and Marvin. City, 23 (2), 245-255.
- White, J. M. (2017). Rethinking the Spaces of Standardisation through the Concept of Site. Tecnoscienza: Italian Journal of Science & Technology Studies, 8 (2), 151-174.
- White, J. M. (2016). Anticipatory Logics of the Smart City’s Global Imaginary. Urban geography, 37 (4), 572-589.
Chapters in books
- White, J. M. (2019). Politicising Smart City Standards. In: Coletta, Claudio; Evans, Leighton; Heaphy, Liam; Kitchin, Rob, Creating Smart Cities (pp. 33-48). London: Routledge.
- White, J. M. (2017). Following Data Threads. In: Kitchin, Rob; Lauriault, Tracey P; McArdle, Gavin, Data and the City (pp. 85-97). London: Routledge.
- White, J. M. (2016). Moving Applications: A Multilayered Approach to Mobile Computing. In: Kitchin, Rob; Perng, Sung-Yueh, Code and the City (pp. 130-145). New York: Routledge.