About Jort Veen
I’m a PhD student in Sport Science. In 2016 I obtained my MSc in Sport Science at the University of Worcester UK with a specialisation in postactivation and pacing in cyclists. After my graduation I worked as a sessional lecturer in exercise physiology and biomechanics at this same university.
In 2018 I started my PhD in physical activity and aging as part of the Newbreed Successful Aging Program co-funded by the European Commission through the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, Co-funding of Regional, National and International Programmes (MSCA COFUND).
My research is focussed on the influence of physical activity and nutrition on physical function, muscle mass and muscle strength in older adults.
Articles in journals
- Veen, J. , Montiel Rojas, D. , Kadi, F. & Nilsson, A. (2022). Effects of Reallocating Time Spent in Different Physical Activity Intensities on Sarcopenia Risk in Older Adults: An Isotemporal Substitution Analysis. Biology, 11 (1).
- Veen, J. , Montiel Rojas, D. , Nilsson, A. & Kadi, F. (2021). Engagement in Muscle-Strengthening Activities Lowers Sarcopenia Risk in Older Adults Already Adhering to the Aerobic Physical Activity Guidelines. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18 (3).
- Edholm, P. , Veen, J. , Kadi, F. & Nilsson, A. (2021). Muscle mass and aerobic capacity in older women: Impact of regular exercise at middle age. Experimental Gerontology, 147.
- Bergens, O. , Veen, J. , Montiel Rojas, D. , Edholm, P. , Kadi, F. & Nilsson, A. (2020). Impact of healthy diet and physical activity on metabolic health in men and women: Study Protocol Clinical Trial (SPIRIT Compliant). Medicine, 99 (16).
- Veen, J. , Corbett, M. A. & Renfree, A. (2020). Maximal sprints within the warm-up does not affect pacing or performance in a 10 km cycle time trial. Journal of Human Sport and Exercise, 15 (2), 319-329.
- Veen, J. , Edholm, P. , Nilsson, A. & Kadi, F. (2019). The Effect of Past and Present Physical Activity on Physical Function in Older Women: Do Physical Activity Guidelines Matter?. In: Scientific Program. Paper presented at International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics European Region Congress, Gothenburg, Sweden, May 23-25, 2019..
- Veen, J. , Corbett, M. A. & Renfree, A. (2017). Inclusion of maximal sprints within the warm up does not effect pacing and performance during a 10km cycle time trial. In: Ferrauti, A., Platen, P., Grimminger-Seidensticker, E., Jaitner, T., Bartmus, U., Becher, L., De Marées, M., Mühlbauer, T., Schauerte, A., Wiewelhove, T., Tsolakidis, E., Book of abstracts. Paper presented at 22nd Annual Congress of the European College of Sport Science (ECSS), Essen, Germany, July 5-8, 2017. (pp. 457-458).
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Veen, J. (2022). Physical activity, muscle mass and physical function in older adults. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro University.
- Veen, J. , Edholm, P. , Rodriguez-Zamora, L. , Folkesson, M. , Nilsson, A. & Kadi, F. Adherence to the MVPA guideline beyond the recommended minimum weekly amount : impacts on indicators of physical function in older adults.
- Edholm, P. , Veen, J. , Kadi, F. & Nilsson, A. Muscle Mass and Aerobic Capacity at Old Age : Impact of Regular Exercise at Middle Age.