About Hans Englund
Hans Englund is professor in business administration and a member of the Centre for Empirical Research on Organizational Control (CEROC) at the School of business at Örebro university.
Hans Englund teaches mainly in management control and research methodology. He has experience from teaching at all levels, reaching from introductory courses to doctoral education. He also has considerable experience from commissioned education in management accounting and control.
Hans currently conducts research on performance management in the educational sector, with a particular focus on itsidentity effects on teachers and researchers.
Articles in journals
- Englund, H. & Stockhult, H. (2023). Authority-Boundness as a Constitutive Aspect of Syllabus-Boundness among Higher Education Students. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research, 67 (3), 406-418.
- Englund, H. , Stockhult, H. , Du Rietz, S. , Nilsson, A. & Wennblom, G. (2023). Learning-Environment Uncertainty and Students' Approaches to Learning: A Self-Determination Theory Perspective. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research, 67 (4), 559-573.
- Seger, K. , Englund, H. & Härström, M. (2023). Researchers' hate-love relationship to performance measurement systems in academia - a Foucauldian perspective. Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management/Emerald, 20 (1), 38-71.
- Gerdin, J. & Englund, H. (2022). Vertical, horizontal, and self control in academia: Survey evidence on their diverging effects on perceived researcher autonomy and identity. The British Accounting Review, 54 (5).
- Beime, K. S. , Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2021). Giving the invisible hand a helping hand: How 'Grants Offices' work to nourish neoliberal researchers. British Educational Research Journal, 47 (1), 1-22.
- Frostenson, M. & Englund, H. (2021). Styrteknologier och differentiering av den professionella praktiken: Exemplet lärare. Arbetsmarknad & Arbetsliv, 27 (4), 49-67.
- Englund, H. , Gerdin, J. & Burns, J. (2020). A structuration theory perspective on the interplay between strategy and accounting: Unpacking social continuity and transformation. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 73, 1-15.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2020). Contesting conformity: how and why academics may oppose the conforming influences of intra-organizational performance evaluations. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 33 (5), 913-938.
- Frostenson, M. & Englund, H. (2020). Teachers, performative techniques and professional values: How performativity becomes humanistic through interplay mechanisms. Cambridge Journal of Education, 50 (6), 695-710.
- Gerdin, J. & Englund, H. (2019). Contesting commensuration: Public response tactics to performance evaluation of academia. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 32 (4), 1098-1116.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2019). Performative technologies and teacher subjectivities: A conceptual framework. British Educational Research Journal, 45 (3), 502-517.
- Englund, H. , Frostenson, M. & Beime, K. S. (2019). Performative Technology Intensity and Teacher Subjectivities. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research, 63 (5), 725-743.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2018). Management accounting and the paradox of embedded agency: A framework for analyzing sources of structural change. Management Accounting Research, 38, 1-11.
- Englund, H. & Frostenson, M. (2017). Managing performance evaluation uncertainties in schools: When teachers become struggling performers. European Educational Research Journal, 16 (6), 885-906.
- Abrahamsson, G. , Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2016). On the (re)construction of numbers and operational reality: A study of face-to-face interactions. Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management/Emerald, 13 (2), 159-188.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2016). What can(not) a flat and local structuration ontology do for management accounting research?: A comment on Coad, Jack and Kholeif. Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management/Emerald, 13 (2), 252-263.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2015). Developing Enabling Performance Measurement Systems: On the Interplay Between Numbers and Operational Knowledge. The European Accounting Review, 24 (2), 277-303.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2014). Structuration theory in accounting research: applications and applicability. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 25 (2), 162-180.
- Englund, H. , Gerdin, J. & Abrahamsson, G. (2013). Accounting ambiguity and structural change. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 26 (3), 423-448.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2012). Micro-dynamics of emergent organizational identity change. Corporate Reputation Review, 15, 240-262.
- Englund, H. , Gerdin, J. & Burns, J. (2011). 25 Years of Giddens in accounting research: achievements, limitations and the future. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 36 (8), 494-513.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2011). Agency and structure in management accounting research: reflections and extensions of Kilfoyle and Richardson. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 22 (6), 581-592.
- Abrahamsson, G. , Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2011). Organizational identity and management accounting change. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 24 (3), 345-376.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2008). Structuration theory and mediating concepts: Pitfalls and implications for management accounting research. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 19 (8), 1122-1134.
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2008). Transferring knowledge across sub-genres of the ABC implementation literature . Management Accounting Research, 19 (2), 149-162.
Chapters in books
- Englund, H. & Gerdin, J. (2023). The Neoliberal University and Its Effects on Academic Researchers: Survey Evidence from Sweden. In: Mats Benner, Mikael Holmqvist, Universities under Neoliberalism: Ideologies, Discourses and Management Practices (pp. 86-109). . Routledge.
- Englund, H. & Stockhult, H. (2021). Learning environment uncertainty and students’ approaches to learning: A self-determination theory perspective. Paper presented at 2021 Konferens — Forskning om högre utbildning, Örebro, Sweden, (Digital konferens), May 19-20, 2021.
- Seger, K. , Englund, H. & Härström, M. Performance Measurement Systems and academic freedom : A bittersweet relationship?.