About Igor Bazov
Igor Bazov is postdoctoral research fellow in the group of Functional Bioinformatics. He holds a PhD in Pharmaceutical Biosciences from Uppsala University (2016) where he analyzed gene expression in the brain of human alcoholics and epigenetic and transcriptional mechanisms of neuronal gene expression with the focus on the endogenous opioid system.
He previously studied Biophysics (Msc, Moscow State University 1995) and took part in the search for tumor suppressor genes on human chromosome 3p (PhD, National Research Center “GosNII Genetika”, Moscow 2000).
Current research of Igor Bazov is on biomedicine with bioinformatics analyses at Örebro University. The focus is on the national project SSF BIOIBD, aiming at discovering biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis and therapy response of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Proteome profiles from blood of IBD patients are analyzed to find discriminatory biosignatures for diagnostic and therapy-monitoring purposes as well as to deduce functional implications for the different subtypes of this disease.
Articles in journals
- Kononenko, O. , Mityakina, I. , Galatenko, V. , Watanabe, H. , Bazov, I. , Gerashchenko, A. , Sarkisyan, D. , Iatsyshyna, A. & et al. (2018). Differential effects of left and right neuropathy on opioid gene expression in lumbar spinal cord. Brain Research, 1695, 78-83.
- Bazov, I. , Sarkisyan, D. , Kononenko, O. , Watanabe, H. , Karpyak, V. M. , Yakovleva, T. & Bakalkin, G. (2018). Downregulation of the neuronal opioid gene expression concomitantly with neuronal decline in dorsolateral prefrontal cortex of human alcoholics. Translational Psychiatry, 8 (1).
- Bazov, I. , Sarkisyan, D. , Kononenko, O. , Watanabe, H. , Yakovleva, T. , Hansson, A. C. , Sommer, W. H. , Spanagel, R. & et al. (2018). Dynorphin and κ-Opioid Receptor Dysregulation in the Dopaminergic Reward System of Human Alcoholics. Molecular Neurobiology, 55 (8), 7049-7061.
- Bazov, I. , Sarkisyan, D. , Kononenko, O. , Watanabe, H. , Taqi, M. M. , Stålhandske, L. , Verbeek, D. S. , Mulder, J. & et al. (2018). Neuronal Expression of Opioid Gene is Controlled by Dual Epigenetic and Transcriptional Mechanism in Human Brain. Cerebral Cortex, 28 (9), 3129-3142.
- Sarkisyan, D. , Bazov, I. , Watanabe, H. , Kononenko, O. , Syvänen, A. , Schumann, G. , Yakovleva, T. & Bakalkin, G. (2017). Damaged reward areas in human alcoholics: neuronal proportion decline and astrocyte activation. Acta Neuropathologica, 133 (3), 485-487.
- Kononenko, O. , Galatenko, V. , Andersson, M. , Bazov, I. , Watanabe, H. , Zhou, X. W. , Iatsyshyna, A. , Mityakina, I. & et al. (2017). Intra- and interregional coregulation of opioid genes: broken symmetry in spinal circuits. The FASEB Journal, 31 (5), 1953-1963.
- Kononenko, O. , Bazov, I. , Watanabe, H. , Gerashchenko, G. , Dyachok, O. , Verbeek, D. S. , Alkass, K. , Druid, H. & et al. (2017). Opioid precursor protein isoform is targeted to the cell nuclei in the human brain. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - General Subjects, 1861 (2), 246-255.
- Sarkisyan, D. , Hussain, M. Z. , Watanabe, H. , Kononenko, O. , Bazov, I. , Zhou, X. , Yamskova, O. , Krishtal, O. & et al. (2015). Downregulation of the endogenous opioid peptides in the dorsal striatum of human alcoholics. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 9.
- Maximyuk, O. , Khmyz, V. , Lindskog, C. , Vukojević, V. , Ivanova, T. , Bazov, I. , Hauser, K. F. , Bakalkin, G. & et al. (2015). Plasma membrane poration by opioid neuropeptides: a possible mechanism of pathological signal transduction. Cell Death and Disease, 6 (3).
- Jin, Z. , Bhandage, A. K. , Bazov, I. , Kononenko, O. , Bakalkin, G. , Korpi, E. R. & Birnir, B. (2014). Expression of specific ionotropic glutamate and GABA-A receptor subunits is decreased in central amygdala of alcoholics. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 8.
- Bhandage, A. K. , Jin, Z. , Bazov, I. , Kononenko, O. , Bakalkin, G. , Korpi, E. R. & Birnir, B. (2014). GABA-A and NMDA receptor subunit mRNA expression is altered in the caudate but not the putamen of the postmortem brains of alcoholics. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 8.
- Henriksson, R. , Bäckman, C. M. , Harvey, B. K. , Kadyrova, H. , Bazov, I. , Shippenberg, T. S. & Bakalkin, G. (2014). PDYN, a gene implicated in brain/mental disorders, is targeted by REST in the adult human brain. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1839 (11), 1226-1232.
- Jin, Z. , Bhandage, A. K. , Bazov, I. , Kononenko, O. , Bakalkin, G. , Korpi, E. R. & Birnir, B. (2014). Selective increases of AMPA, NMDA, and kainate receptor subunit mRNAs in the hippocampus and orbitofrontal cortex but not in prefrontal cortex of human alcoholics. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 8.
- Karpyak, V. M. , Winham, S. J. , Preuss, U. W. , Zill, P. , Cunningham, J. M. , Walker, D. L. , Lewis, K. A. , Geske, J. R. & et al. (2013). Association of the PDYN gene with alcohol dependence and the propensity to drink in negative emotional states. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, 16 (5), 975-985.
- Bazov, I. , Kononenko, O. , Watanabe, H. , Kuntić, V. , Sarkisyan, D. , Taqi, M. M. , Hussain, M. Z. , Nyberg, F. & et al. (2013). The endogenous opioid system in human alcoholics: molecular adaptations in brain areas involved in cognitive control of addiction. Addiction Biology, 18 (1), 161-169.
- Kuzmin, A. , Chefer, V. , Bazov, I. , Meis, J. , Ögren, S. O. , Shippenberg, T. & Bakalkin, G. (2013). Upregulated dynorphin opioid peptides mediate alcohol-induced learning and memory impairment. Translational Psychiatry, 3 (10).
Chapters in books
- Bazov, I. & Bakalkin, G. (2016). Prodynorphin Epialleles. In: Dietmar Spengler, Elisabeth Binder, Epigenetics and Neuroendocrinology: Clinical Focus on Psychiatry, Volume 2 (pp. 43-76). . Springer.