About Lena Blomgren
Lena Blomgren is a consultant vascular and general surgeon at Karlskoga Vein Centre and Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Örebro University Hospital, and associate professor of surgery at the School of Medical Sciences, Örebro University.
Her overall goal with current research activities is to improve the care of patients with venous insufficiency (varicose veins or impaired vein function after blood clots), especially those with venous leg ulcers, and to improve pathways of care for these patients. The current situation is unsatisfactory with many leg ulcer patients treated only with local dressings for years where a simple varicose veinintervention could lead to permanent healing, the regional guidelines are arbitrary and differ significantly between regions for patients with varicose veins with or without leg ulcers, new surgical methods are introduced uncritically and complications are not reported to the National Board of Health and Welfare.
The studies focus on priorities, methods of investigations and treatment strategies, as well as long-term treatment results. In ongoing projects, the use of patient-reported outcome measures is studied, both for prioritization and treatment results, as well as how quality registers can improve quality of care in the long term for the patient group. The impact of socio-economic status on the referral of leg ulcer patients to a vascular surgeon is studied in an interview study. A new minimally invasive treatment of varicose veins is now being studied prospectively with regard to safety and later a randomized study is planned against an established method. A risk factor for developing leg ulcers is a previous blood clot in the veins of the leg, and since Covid-19 can cause blood clots, a study is now planned where people with a previous mild to moderate Covid-19 infection are examined with ultrasound of the deep veins of the legs for signs of previous blood clots, as these patients have not received anticoagulant drugs to protect against blood clots, as patients hospitalized for severe hospitalized Covid-19 have.
Lena Blomgren gives lectures about vascular surgery, venous insufficiency and wound care for medical staff and nurses, students and residents, in international workshops and for the public.
Collaboration and assignments
- Chair of the national working committee for national guidelines for varicose veins and venous ulcers in The Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR).
- Member of the steering committe of Swedvasc, The Swedish National Registry for Vascular Surgery.
- Member of the scientific board of RiksSår, the Swedish national quality Registry for Ulcer Treatment.
- Member of the working committee for the guidelines on chronic venous disease by ESVS, the European Society for Vascular and endovascular Surgery.
- Referee for European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Phlebology and Läkartidningen.