About Lotte Wellton
Lotte Wellton is a senior lecturer at the School of Hospitality, Culinary Arts & Meal Science, Campus Grythyttan and has a Phd in Culinary arts and Meal Science. She also has a long practical experience of work and entrepreneurship in the hospitality industry.
Overall research agenda
Research with a sociological perspective on de professional producers of meals, the meal-makers in the restaurant industry, that as yet have been little investigated.
Research on how food becomes a meal experience
Research on how professionalism is conceived and enacted in the restaurant industry
Focus is on daily practices in kitchens and dining rooms: work methods and routines, that contain knowledge transfer, work organization and leadership.
Work conditions and social sustainability in the restaurant industry.
Qualitative methods with an insider perspective.
Lottes´ current research is an examination of the daily work of young hospitality leaders (chefs, maitre d´s, food and beverage managers etc.) to contribute to new strategies regarding knowledge transfer and motivation in order to deviate from the industry's focus on normativity and fostering in daily leadership. The research is focused on understanding the young workers´ process of going from "novice to expert" to become a leader, by interpreting the relationship between organizational structures, time use, the physical and psychosocial work environment using practice theoretical perspectives.
Lotte is part of a new research group at SHCAMS: "Sustainable working life in the hospitality industry" and is faculty financed for a project on Young leadership in the restaurant industry
Articles in journals
- Wellton, L. & Öström, Å. (2022). Mutton – from unappreciated local food to delicious tourist attraction in a Swedish destination. Journal of Gastronomy and Tourism, 6 (3), 135-153.
- Wellton, L. & Lainpelto, J. (2021). The intertwinement of professional knowledge culture, leadership practices and sustainability in the restaurant industry. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 21 (5), 550-566.
- Carrillo Ocampo, J. C. , Marshall, M. , Wellton, L. & Jonsson, I. M. (2021). When sustainable cuisine imaginaries become unsustainable: Storage and preservation practices in Swedish restaurants. International Journal of Gastronomy and Food Science, 24.
- Wellton, L. , Jonsson, I. M. & Svingstedt, A. (2019). “Just trained to be a chef, not a leader”: A study of head chef practices. International Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Administration, 20 (4), 400-422.
- Wellton, L. , Jonsson, I. M. & Walter, U. (2018). Making Meals in Small Seasonal Restaurants. Journal of Culinary Science & Technology, 16 (1), 1-17.
- Wellton, L. , Jonsson, I. M. & Svingstedt, A. (2018). "We are service people, and we stay until the job is done": enactments of professionalism in restaurants. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 18 (4), 265-283.
- Wellton, L. , Jonsson, I. M. , Walter, U. & Svingstedt, A. (2017). Restaurant practices: time, planning, knowledge and dreams. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 17 (3), 297-311.
Chapters in books
- Wellton, L. , Jonsson, I. M. & Walter, U. (2016). Culinary collisions: the vision of local food use collides with daily restaurant practice. In: C Michael Hall & Stefan Gössling, Food Tourism and Regional Development: Networks, products and trajectories (pp. 273-284). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Hult, K. (ed.) , Scander, H. (ed.) , Sundqvist, J. (ed.) & Wellton, L. (ed.) (2023). Tore Wretman Symposiet: Svensk måltidsforskning i ett internationellt perspektiv. Örebro: Örebro universitet (Måltidskunskap 9).
- Hult, K. (ed.) , Jonsson, I. M. (ed.) , Scander, H. (ed.) & Wellton, L. (ed.) (2022). Nordic Association for Food Studies Workshop 2021: Communicating and presenting food from the past to the future: Historical, contemporary and evolving perspectives: NAFS Workshop 2021: Grythyttan, November 25th. Örebro: Örebro University (Måltidskunskap 6).
- Carrillo, J. (ed.) , Hult, K. (ed.) , Jonsson, I. M. (ed.) , Scander, H. (ed.) & Wellton, L. (ed.) (2021). Nordic Association for Food Studies Workshop 2020: Foodways at a crossroads: Sustainability, Gastronomy and Rethinking the traditions of how to Eat. Örebro: Örebro University (Måltidskunskap 5).
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Wellton, L. (2017). Making Meals in Restaurants: Daily Practices and Professional Ideals. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro University.
Licentiate theses, comprehensive summaries
- Wellton, L. (2015). Improved Meal Offerings in Tourist Destinations Provided by Professional Practitioners. Lic. (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro Universitet.
- Wellton, L. , Jonsson, I. M. & Walter, U. Professionalization of practitioners in rural restaurants.
- Wellton, L. , Jonsson, I. M. & Walter, U. Restaurant race and seasonal stress : the double impact on workload.
- Wellton, L. , Jonsson, I. M. & Svingstedt, A. ‘We are service people and we stay until the job is done’ : Enactments of Professionalism in Restaurants and the Role of Workplace Training.