Michiel van NieuwenhovenTitle: Affiliated Researcher School/office: School of Medical Sciences
Phone: +46 19 303000
Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Centre
About Michiel van Nieuwenhoven
Being both a medical biologist with a PhD with years of experience within the university, as well as a gastroenterologist/internist with broad clinical experience, Michiel van Nieuwenhoven wants to be a bridge between basic science and clinical practice. He is interested in health-related and scientific questions regarding diseases/disorders with a major impact on public health.
IBS is a very common functional gastrointestinal disorder, which is associated with a decreased quality of life and a high economic burden. The absence of an organic explanation for the IBS symptoms makes it difficult for the physician to make a diagnosis. Frequently, the diagnosis IBS is made after exclusion of all other possible diseases; a so-called negative diagnosis. This is associated with high and unnecessary cost and leads to frustration for both the doctor and the patient. IBS is a multifactorial disorder and for this reason, it is difficult to treat it effectively. There are three different treatment options: 1: pharmacological, 2: nutritional, 3: psychological.
The problem is that it is not know which treatment will work for which patient, and Michiel's research interest lies in unraveling this question.
At least as common as IBS is obesity. In the USA, 38% of the adults suffer from obesity. In the UK, it is 28% and in Sweden the number are a little lower. However, the numbers are increasing and within a short time, obesity will be the leading cause for liver cirrhosis. The economic burden, related to health issues associated with obesity, is enormous.
The most effective treatment is surgery. However, it is impossible to operate all patients with obesity and besides that; the majority of obesity patients are not interested in surgery. There is a strong need for alternative treatments and for this reason, Michiel's other area of interest comprises basic and clinical studies on bariatric endoscopy.
- Assessment of anorectal function in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
- The effect of low energy diet in combination with cognitive behavioral therapy and intragastric balloons on weight loss and weight maintenance: a randomized controlled trial
- Irritable bowel syndrome in primary health care
- Phenotyping and treatment of primary health care IBS patients
- Psychological and physiological factors predicting tolerability and weight loss of intragastric balloon in combination with low energy diet and group treatment in adults with obesity
Articles in journals
- Söderberg, S. , Nyhlin, N. , Moro, A. , Figaro, C. , Fransson, E. , Stefansdotter, J. , Schagerström, M. , Lindblad, M. & et al. (2023). Time and Motion at the Endoscopy Unit-A University Hospital Experience. Health services research and managerial epidemiology, 10.
- Shahed, Q. , Baranowska, K. , Galavazi, M. , Cao, Y. & van Nieuwenhoven, M. A. (2022). Doctors and patients' perspectives on obesity: A Q-methodology study. Family Practice, 39 (4), 694-700.
- Räsänen, N. & van Nieuwenhoven, M. A. (2021). Gastroscopy in younger patients: an analysis of referrals and pathologies. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepathology, 33 (10), 1266-1273.
- Andersson, E. , Nyhlin, N. & van Nieuwenhoven, M. A. (2021). The effectiveness of the colorectal cancer referral pathway: identification of colorectal cancer in a Swedish region. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, 56 (5), 552-558.
- Rossi, O. , Karczewski, J. , Stolte, E. H. , Brummer, R. J. M. , van Nieuwenhoven, M. A. , Meijerink, M. , van Neerven, J. R. J. , van Ijzendoorn, S. C. D. & et al. (2013). Vectorial secretion of interleukin-8 mediates autocrine signalling in intestinal epithelial cells via apically located CXCR1. BMC research notes, 6, 431.
- Labus, J. S. , Mayer, E. A. , Jarcho, J. , Kilpatrick, L. A. , Kilkens, T. O. C. , Evers, E. A. T. , Backes, W. H. , Brummer, R. J. & et al. (2011). Acute tryptophan depletion alters the effective connectivity of emotional arousal circuitry during visceral stimuli in healthy women. Gut, 60 (9), 1196-1203.
- Zhulina, Y. , Lindberg, E. , Sjöberg, M. , Nyhlin, N. , Wickbom, A. , Eriksson, C. , Johansson, I. , van Nieuwenhoven, M. A. & et al. (2011). Inflammatorisk tarmsjukdom i Örebro 2010: en epidemiologisk uppdatering. Gastrokuriren, 16 (29), PO-10-PO-10.