Ola NilssonTitle: Professor School/office: School of Medical Sciences
Phone: +46 707 327696
Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Centre
About Ola Nilsson
Ola Nilsson, MD, PhD is a professor of pediatrics at the Örebro University Hospital evaluating and treating children with endocrine disorders, growth disorders, skeletal diseases and disorders of mineral metabolism.
As a researcher, Ola Nilsson leads a research group focused on regulation of skeletal growth and maturation, as well as disorders of calcium and phosphate metabolism. He has been PI on several clinical studies on rare skeletal disorders and identified aggrecan mutations as a can cause of autosomal dominant short stature with advanced skeletal maturation.
He teaches at the medical school at Örebro University and member of the board for reproduction and development at the medical school program.
He has published more than 60 scientific articles, is an active member of national and international pediatric societies and an frequent lecturer at national and international meetings. He has received several awards from the Pediatric Endocrine Society and the European Society of Pediatric Endocrinology.
Articles in journals
- Zhao, S. , Zhang, Y. , Hallgrimsdottir, S. , Zuo, Y. , Li, X. , Batkovskyte, D. , Liu, S. , Lindelöf, H. & et al. (2022). Expanding the mutation and phenotype spectrum of MYH3-associated skeletal disorders. NPJ genomic medicine, 7 (1).
- Ward, L. M. , Glorieux, F. H. , Whyte, M. P. , Munns, C. F. , Portale, A. A. , Högler, W. , Simmons, J. H. , Gottesman, G. S. & et al. (2022). Impact of Burosumab Compared with Conventional Therapy in Younger Versus Older Children with X-Linked Hypophosphatemia.. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.
- Kvist, O. F. T. , Luiza Dallora, A. , Nilsson, O. , Anderberg, P. , Sanmartin Berglund, J. , Flodmark, C. & Diaz, S. (2021). A Cross-Sectional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study of Factors Influencing Growth Plate Closure in Adolescents and Young Adults. Acta Paediatrica, 110 (4), 1249-1256.
- Sandberg, J. T. , Ols, S. , Löfling, M. , Varnaitė, R. , Lindgren, G. , Nilsson, O. , Rombo, L. , Kalén, M. & et al. (2021). Activation and Kinetics of Circulating T Follicular Helper Cells, Specific Plasmablast Response, and Development of Neutralizing Antibodies following Yellow Fever Virus Vaccination. Journal of Immunology, 207 (4), 1033-1043.
- Nilsson, O. (2021). Behandling av akondroplasi är på väg – kan ge nya möjligheter: [New treatments for achondroplasia may be efficacious in other forms of short stature]. Läkartidningen, 118.
- Baroncelli, M. , Raimann, A. , Padidela, R. & Nilsson, O. (2021). Bone, Growth Plate and Mineral Metabolism. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 94 (Suppl. 1), 22-22.
- Padidela, R. , Cheung, M. , Allgrove, J. , Bacchetta, J. , Semler, O. , Heubner, A. , Schnabel, D. , Emma, F. & et al. (2021). BUR-CL207: An Open-label, Multicenter, Non-randomized Study to Assess the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics and Efficacy of Burosumab in Pediatric Patients from Birth to Less than 1 Year of Age with XLH. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 94 (Suppl. 1), 226-226.
- Lennartsson, O. , Lodefalk, M. , Wehtje, H. , Stattin, E. , Sävendahl, L. & Nilsson, O. (2021). Case Report: Bilateral Epiphysiodesis Due to Extreme Tall Stature in a Girl With a De Novo DNMT3A Variant Associated With Tatton-Brown-Rahman Syndrome. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 12.
- Ain, N. U. , Baroncelli, M. , Costantini, A. , Ishaq, T. , Taylan, F. , Nilsson, O. , Mäkitie, O. & Naz, S. (2021). Novel form of rhizomelic skeletal dysplasia associated with a homozygous variant in GNPNAT1. Journal of Medical Genetics, 58 (5), 351-356.
- Dou, Z. , Chau, M. , Muder, D. , Vedung, T. & Nilsson, O. (2021). Optimized protocols for in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, and immunofluorescence on skeletal tissue. Acta Histochemica, 123 (5).
- Padidela, R. , Whyte, M. P. , Glorieux, F. H. , Munns, C. F. , Ward, L. M. , Nilsson, O. , Portale, A. A. , Simmons, J. H. & et al. (2021). Patient-Reported Outcomes from a Randomized, Active-Controlled, Open-Label, Phase 3 Trial of Burosumab Versus Conventional Therapy in Children with X-Linked Hypophosphatemia. Calcified Tissue International, 108, 622-633.
- Hallgrimsdottir, S. & Nilsson, O. (2021). Premature epiphyseal fusion induced by a retinoic acid agonist in a young girl with fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 94 (Suppl. 1), 95-95.
- Dou, Z. , Muder, D. , Baroncelli, M. , Bendre, A. , Gkourogianni, A. , Ottosson, L. , Vedung, T. & Nilsson, O. (2021). Rat perichondrium transplanted to articular cartilage defects forms articular-like, hyaline cartilage. Bone, 151.
- Nilsson, O. (2021). Too little and never enough: The challenge of providing calcium and phosphate to preterm infants. Acta Paediatrica, 110 (6), 1715-1715.
- Nilsson, O. (2020). Aggrecanopathies highlight the need for genetic evaluation of ISS children. European Journal of Endocrinology, 183 (2), C9-C10.
- Gerver, W. J. M. , Gkourogianni, A. , Dauber, A. , Nilsson, O. & Wit, J. M. (2020). Arm Span and Its Relation to Height in a 2- to 17-Year-Old Reference Population and Heterozygous Carriers of ACAN Variants. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 93 (3), 164-172.
- Ain, N. U. , Muhammad, N. , Dianatpour, M. , Baroncelli, M. , Iqbal, M. , Fard, M. A. F. , Bukhari, I. , Ahmed, S. & et al. (2020). Biallelic TMEM251 variants in patients with severe skeletal dysplasia and extreme short stature. Human Mutation, 42 (1), 89-101.
- Kvist, O. F. T. , Dallora, A. L. , Nilsson, O. , Anderberg, P. , Berglund, J. S. , Flodmark, C. & Diaz, S. (2020). Comparison of reliability of magnetic resonance imaging using cartilage and T1-weighted sequences in the assessment of the closure of the growth plates at the knee. Acta Radiologica Open, 9 (9).
- Lennartsson, O. , Nilsson, O. & Lodefalk, M. (2020). Discordance Between Stimulated and Spontaneous Growth Hormone Levels in Short Children Is Dependent on Cut-Off Level and Partly Explained by Refractoriness. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 11.
- Gkourogianni, A. , Andrade, A. C. , Jonsson, B. , Segerlund, E. , Werner-Sperker, A. , Horemuzova, E. , Dahlgren, J. , Burstedt, M. & et al. (2020). Pre- and postnatal growth failure with microcephaly due to two novel heterozygous IGF1R mutations and response to growth hormone treatment. Acta Paediatrica, 109 (10), 2067-2074.
- Muder, D. , Nilsson, O. & Vedung, T. (2020). Reconstruction of finger joints using autologous rib perichondrium: an observational study at a single Centre with a median follow-up of 37 years. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 21 (1).
- Padidela, R. , Nilsson, O. , Makitie, O. , Beck-Nielsen, S. , Ariceta, G. , Schnabel, D. , Brandi, M. L. , Boot, A. & et al. (2020). The international X-linked hypophosphataemia (XLH) registry (NCT03193476): rationale for and description of an international, observational study. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases, 15 (1).
- Högler, W. , Imel, A. , Whyte, P. , Munns, C. , Anthony, P. , Ward, L. , Simmons, H. , Padidela, R. & et al. (2019). BUROSUMAB RESULTED IN GREATER IMPROVEMENT IN PHOSPHATE METABOLISM, RICKETS, GROWTH, AND MOBILITY THAN CONTINUATION WITH CONVENTIONAL THERAPY IN CHILDREN WITH X-LINKED HYPOPHOSPHATEMIA (XLH). Osteoporosis International, 30 (Suppl. 2), S409-S410.
- Imel, E. A. , Glorieux, F. H. , Whyte, M. P. , Munns, C. F. , Ward, L. M. , Nilsson, O. , Simmons, J. H. , Padidela, R. & et al. (2019). Burosumab versus conventional therapy in children with X-linked hypophosphataemia: a randomised, active-controlled, open-label, phase 3 trial. The Lancet, 393 (10189), 2416-2427.
- Beck-Nielsen, S. S. , Mughal, Z. , Haffner, D. , Nilsson, O. , Levtchenko, E. , Ariceta, G. , de Lucas Collantes, C. , Schnabel, D. & et al. (2019). FGF23 and its role in X-linked hypophosphatemia-related morbidity. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases, 14 (1).
- Nilsson, O. , Whyte, M. P. , Imel, E. A. , Munns, C. , Portale, A. A. , Ward, L. , Simmons, J. H. , Padidela, R. & et al. (2018). Burosumab Improved Rickets, Phosphate Metabolism, and Clinical Outcomes Compared to Conventional Therapy in Children with X-Linked Hypophosphatemia (XLH) - A Randomized Controlled Phase 3 Study. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 90 (Suppl.1), 57-58.
- Gkourogianni, A. , Segerlund, E. , Hallgrimsdottir, S. , Nilsson, O. & Stattin, E. (2018). Clinical and Radiological Manifestations in a Large Swedish Family with a Pathogenic Heterozygous ACAN Variant. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 90 (Suppl.1), 424-424.
- Lui, J. C. , Barnes, K. M. , Dong, L. , Yue, S. , Graber, E. , Rapaport, R. , Dauber, A. , Nilsson, O. & et al. (2018). Ezh2 mutations found in the Weaver overgrowth syndrome cause a partial loss of H3K27 histone methyltransferase activity. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 103 (4), 1470-1478.
- Nilsson, O. (2018). Growth and growth disorders in 2017: Genetic and epigenetic regulation of childhood growth. Nature Reviews Endocrinology, 14 (2), 71-72.
- Nilsson, O. (2018). It Is Not Just the Growth Hormone-IGF-I Axis. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 90 (Suppl.1), 12-13.
- Jee, Y. H. , Wang, J. , Yue, S. , Jennings, M. , Clokie, S. J. H. , Nilsson, O. , Lui, J. & Baron, J. (2018). Mir-374-5p, mir-379-5p, and mir-503-5p regulate proliferation and hypertrophic differentiation of growth plate chondrocytes in male rats. Endocrinology, 159 (3), 1469-1478.
- Nilsson, O. (2018). PRO - To Prime Or Not to Prime?. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 90 (Suppl.1), 18-19.
- Tatsi, C. , Gkourogianni, A. , Mohnike, K. , DeArment, D. , Witchel, S. , Andrade, A. C. , Markello, T. C. , Baron, J. & et al. (2017). Aggrecan Mutations in Nonfamilial Short Stature and Short Stature Without Accelerated Skeletal Maturation. Journal of the Endocrine Society, 1 (8), 1006-1011.
- Gkourogianni, A. , Andrew, M. , Tyzinski, L. , Crocker, M. , Douglas, J. , Dunbar, N. , Fairchild, J. , Funari, M. F. A. & et al. (2017). Clinical characterization of patients with autosomal dominant short stature due to aggrecan mutations. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 102 (2), 460-469.
- Jee, Y. H. , Andrade, A. C. , Baron, J. & Nilsson, O. (2017). Genetics of Short Stature. Endocrinology and metabolism clinics of North America (Print), 46 (2), 259-281.
- Andrade, A. C. , Gkourogianni, A. , Segerlund, E. , Werner-Sperker, A. , Horemuzova, E. , Dahlgren, J. & Nilsson, O. (2017). Short Stature Due To Two Novel Heterozygous Igf1r Mutations and Response To Gh Treatment. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 88 (Suppl. 1), 130-131.
- Lodefalk, M. & Nilsson, O. (2017). To Prime or Not to Prime - Is That Still a Question?: A Comment on the US Guidelines on Growth Hormone and Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I Treatment in Children and Adolescents. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 88 (2), 179-180.
- Lui, J. C. , Garrison, P. , Nguyen, Q. , Ad, M. , Keembiyehetty, C. , Chen, W. , Jee, Y. H. , Landman, E. & et al. (2016). EZH1 and EZH2 promote skeletal growth by repressing inhibitors of chondrocyte proliferation and hypertrophy. Nature Communications, 7.
- Jee, Y. H. , Baron, J. & Nilsson, O. (2018). New developments in the genetic diagnosis of short stature. Current opinion in pediatrics, 30 (4), 541-547.
- Andrade, A. C. , Jee, Y. H. & Nilsson, O. (2017). New Genetic Diagnoses of Short Stature Provide Insights into Local Regulation of Childhood Growth. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 88 (1), 22-37.