About Åke Bergman
Åke Bergman is Senior professor at Örebro University and operational at Man-Technology-Environment research centre (MTM), Faculty of Business, Science and Engineering. He is today active as Senior advisor in the management team of the Platform for Sustainable Future at Örebro University (PSF@ORU). Bergman is Professor Emeritus at ACES, Stockholm Universitet and Advisory Professor at College of Environmental Science and Technology, Tongji University, Shanghai.
Åke Bergman has a research history that dates back to 1975. His research, ever since, is related to his mission to contribute with a science base for societal actions to improve environment and health situation regarding chemical pollution. His focus in this research relates to man-made chemicals (pollutants) impact on human health and reproductive insufficiency among wildlife, i.e. endocrine disruption. His research has focused on organic chemical pollutants and their transformation products, e.g. PCBs, persistent pesticides, brominated flame retardants (BFRs), phthalates, per- and polyfluorinated substances (PFAS) och chlorinated paraffins (CPs). Åke Bergman has been particularly active to study how environmental pollutants are transformed in the environment and living organisms. He has published >300 original scientific articles. He has been the supervisor of 30 Ph.D. students in Environmental Chemistry. He is presently active in two EU funded research projects, ATHENA and EIRENE RI.
As the first head of the Department of Environmental Chemistry, Åke Bergman, initiated and built courses in environmental chemistry at Stockholm University during the 1990s. He has participated as a teacher until 2020. He also initiated the Stockholm University and Umeå University collaboration on the first Master program in Sweden in environmental chemistry, the Swedish School of Environmental Chemistry (SSEC)) 2005-2010. After 2010 Stockholm University took over and ran the master program in Environmental Chemistry. Åke Bergman is still doing some teaching, primarily in EU and China. He is presently leading a mapping effort for the five Nordic countries regarding competence provision in the area of chemical risk analysis.
Cooperation and Commissions
Åke Bergman has extensive cooperation both nationally and globally. One recent and important example is the collaboration with researchers at Tongji University, e.g. through the VR/Formas/Forte-program ”CHEMSTRRES”. This has generated numerous articles and also two books (2017 and 2019). Researchers at MTM are continuing the collaboration with Tongji University.
Åke Bergman has worked with Swedish governmental inquiries and commissions for the European Commission (EFSA) och for UNEP/WHO. He was the coordinator of the State of the science on Endocrine disruptors – 2012, a report also available in Chinese.
Articles in journals
- Wei, L. , Huang, Q. , Qiu, Y. , Zhao, J. , Rantakokko, P. , Gao, H. , Huang, F. , Bignert, A. & et al. (2023). Legacy persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in eggs of night herons and poultries from the upper Yangtze Basin, Southwest China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 30 (41), 93744-93759.
- Gustafsson, Å. , Wang, B. , Gerde, P. , Bergman, Å. & Yeung, L. W. Y. (2022). Bioavailability of inhaled or ingested PFOA adsorbed to house dust. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 29 (52), 78698-78710.
- Valters, K. , Olsson, A. , Viksne, J. , Rubene, L. & Bergman, Å. (2022). Concentration dynamics of polychlorinated biphenyls and organochlorine pesticides in blood of growing Grey heron (Ardea cinerea) chicks in the wild. Environmental Pollution, 306.
- Vieira Silva, A. , Chu, I. , Feeley, M. , Bergman, Å. , Håkansson, H. & Öberg, M. (2022). Dose-dependent toxicological effects in rats following a 90-day dietary exposure to PCB-156 include retinoid disruption. Reproductive Toxicology, 107, 123-139.
- Gustafsson, Å. , Bergman, Å. & Weiss, J. M. (2022). Estimated daily intake of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances related to different particle size fractions of house dust. Chemosphere, 303 (Pt 2).
- Caporale, N. , Leemans, M. , Birgersson, L. , Germain, P. , Cheroni, C. , Borbély, G. , Engdahl, E. , Lindh, C. & et al. (2022). From cohorts to molecules: Adverse impacts of endocrine disrupting mixtures. Science, 375 (6582).
- Yang, Y. , Song, L. , Zhu, Z. , Qiu, Y. , Zhao, J. , Huang, Q. & Bergman, Å. (2022). Human exposure to phthalate esters via ingestion of municipal drinking water from automatic water purifiers: levels, sources, and risks. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 8 (12), 2843-2855.
- Smythe, T. A. , Su, G. , Bergman, Å. & Letcher, R. J. (2022). Metabolic transformation of environmentally-relevant brominated flame retardants in Fauna: A review. Environment International, 161.
- Halonen, J. I. , Erhola, M. , Furman, E. , Haahtela, T. , Jousilahti, P. , Barouki, R. , Bergman, Å. , Billo, N. E. & et al. (2021). A call for urgent action to safeguard our planet and our health in line with the helsinki declaration. Environmental Research, 193.
- Awad, R. , Zhou, Y. , Nyberg, E. , Namazkar, S. , Wu, Y. , Xiao, Q. , Sun, Y. , Zhu, Z. & et al. (2021). Emerging per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in human milk from Sweden and China (vol 22, pg 2023, 2020). Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 23 (1), 188-188.
- Zhou, Y. , Yuan, B. , Nyberg, E. , Yin, G. , Bignert, A. , Glynn, A. , Odland, J. Ø. , Qiu, Y. & et al. (2020). Chlorinated Paraffins in Human Milk from Urban Sites in China, Sweden, and Norway. Environmental Science and Technology, 54 (7), 4356-4366.
- Awad, R. , Zhou, Y. , Nyberg, E. , Namazkar, S. , Yongning, W. , Xiao, Q. , Sun, Y. , Zhu, Z. & et al. (2020). Emerging per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in human milk from Sweden and China. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 22 (10), 2023-2030.
- Kortenkamp, A. , Axelstad, M. , Baig, A. H. , Bergman, Å. , Bornehag, C. , Cenijn, P. , Christiansen, S. , Demeneix, B. & et al. (2020). Removing Critical Gaps in Chemical Test Methods by Developing New Assays for the Identification of Thyroid Hormone System-Disrupting Chemicals: The ATHENA Project. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 21 (9).
- Dai, Q. , Xu, X. , Eskenazi, B. , Asante, K. A. , Chen, A. , Fobil, J. , Bergman, Å. , Brennan, L. & et al. (2020). Severe dioxin-like compound (DLC) contamination in e-waste recycling areas: An under-recognized threat to local health. Environment International, 139.
- Halonen, J. I. , Erhola, M. , Furman, E. , Haahtela, T. , Jousilahti, P. , Barouki, R. , Bergman, Å. , Billo, N. E. & et al. (2020). The Helsinki Declaration 2020: Europe that protects. The Lancet Planetary Health, 4 (11), e503-e505.
- Bogdanska, J. , Borg, D. , Bergström, U. , Mellring, M. , Bergman, Å. , DePierre, J. & Nobel, S. (2020). Tissue distribution of C-14-labelled perfluorooctanoic acid in adult mice after 1-5 days of dietary exposure to an experimental dose or a lower dose that resulted in blood levels similar to those detected in exposed humans. Chemosphere, 239.
- Li, L. , Qiu, Y. , Gustafsson, Å. , Krais, A. M. , Weiss, J. M. , Lundh, T. & Bergman, Å. (2019). Characterization of residential household dust from Shanghai by particle size and analysis of organophosphorus flame retardants and metals. Environmental Sciences Europe, 31 (1).
- Niu, D. , Qiu, Y. , Du, X. , Li, L. , Zhou, Y. , Yin, D. , Lin, Z. , Chen, L. & et al. (2019). Novel brominated flame retardants in house dust from Shanghai, China: levels, temporal variation, and human exposure. Environmental Sciences Europe, 31 (1).
- Huang, Q. , Wei, L. , Bignert, A. , Ye, H. , Huang, F. , Qiu, Y. & Bergman, Å. (2019). Organophosphate flame retardants in heron eggs from upper Yangtze River basin, southwest China. Chemosphere, 236.
- Drakvik, E. , Altenburger, R. , Aoki, Y. , Backhaus, T. , Bahadori, T. , Barouki, R. , Brack, W. , Cronin, M. T. D. & et al. (2019). Statement on advancing the assessment of chemical mixtures and their risks for human health and the environment. Environment International, 134.
- Darnerud, P. O. & Bergman, Å. (2022). Critical review on disposition of chlorinated paraffins in animals and humans. Environment International, 163.
- Bopp, S. K. , Barouki, R. , Brack, W. , Dalla Costa, S. , Dorne, J. C. M. , Drakvik, P. E. , Faust, M. , Karjalainen, T. K. & et al. (2018). Current EU research activities on combined exposure to multiple chemicals. Environment International, 120, 544-562.
- Silva, A. V. , Chu, I. , Feeley, M. , Bergman, Å. , Håkansson, H. & Öberg, M. (2021). Dose-dependent toxicological effects in rats following a 90-day dietary exposure to PCB-156 include retinoid disruption. In: Toxicology Letters. Paper presented at 56th Congress of the European Societies of Toxicology (EUROTOX 2021), Virtual Congress, September 27 – October 1, 2021. (pp. S163-S163). Elsevier.