Andreas MårdhTitle: Senior Lecturer School/office: School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
Phone: +46 19 303000
About Andreas Mårdh
Andreas Mårdh is a senior lecturer in education at Örebro University. His main research interests are in the political and ideological dimensions of history didactics (i.e. teaching and learning history). As such, his research focus on the conflicts and controversies that competing views on history or history education give rise to in classroom settings and public debate. In a broader sense, his work also concerns the relationship between history, citizenship education and identity formation. Theoretically, he makes use of pragmatist educational philosophy and political discourse theory. He is currently researching the role that teaching and learning history plays in environmental and sustainability education.
Mårdh is a member of the research group ESERGO (Environmental and Sustainability Education Research Group Örebro) and the research environment SMED (Studies of Meaning-making in Educational Discourses). He also serves as coordinator for Örebro University’s interdisciplinary teacher education network Hållbar samhällsutveckling [Sustainable Societal Development].
Mårdh has been teaching at the university’s teacher education programmes since 2013, particularly in courses on didactics, history of education, curriculum theory and philosophy of science. Since 2019 he serves as course director for one of the programmes’ primary courses, Core Education Subjects I.
Articles in journals
- Quennerstedt, M. , McCuaig, L. & Mårdh, A. (2021). The fantasmatic logics of physical literacy. Sport, Education and Society, 26 (8), 846-861.
- Mårdh, A. (2019). Between stability and contingency: A case study of the social, political and fantasmatic logics of Swedish history classroom practice. Nordidactica: Journal of Humanities and Social Science Education (1), 132-155.
- Mårdh, A. (2019). Inquiring into the political dimension of history classroom practices: Suggestions for epistemological criteria and analytical concepts. Historical Encounters: A journal of historical consciousness, historical cultures and history education, 6 (1), 15-28.
- Mårdh, A. & Tryggvason, Á. (2017). Democratic Education in the Mode of Populism. Studies in Philosophy and Education, 36 (6), 601-613.
Chapters in books
- Tryggvason, Á. & Mårdh, A. (2019). Political emotions in environmental and sustainability education. In: Katrien Van Poeck, Leif Östman and Johan Öhman, Sustainable Development Teaching: Ethical and Political Challenges (pp. 234-242). Milton Park and New York, NY, USA: Routledge.
- Quennerstedt, M. , McCuaig, L. & Mårdh, A. (2019). Fantasmatic logics of Physical Education. In: AIESEP, International Conference, 2019, Adelphi University Book of Abstracts. Paper presented at AIESEP International Conference, Adelphi University, New York, USA, June 19-22, 2019. (pp. 495-495).
- Mårdh, A. (2016). History Education and the Logics of Right Wing Populism. Paper presented at European Conference on Educational Research (ECER 2016), Dublin, Ireland, August 22-26, 2016.
- Mårdh, A. (2015). The Concept of Logics as an Analytical Approach in History Didactics. Paper presented at European Conference on Educational Research (ECER 2015), Budapest, Hungary, September 7-11, 2015.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Mårdh, A. (2019). Om historieämnets politiska dimension: diskursiva logiker i didaktisk praktik. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro University.