Eleonor PalmPosition: Senior Lecturer School/office: School of Health Sciences
Phone: No number available
About Eleonor Palm
Eleonor received her PhD in medical science with a specialization in biomedicine in year 2015 at Örebro University. In her thesis entitled “Inflammatory responses of gingival fibroblasts in the interaction with the periodontal pathogen Porphyromonas gingivalis”, she studied host-microbe interactions. P. gingivalis is considered as a major etiological agent in periodontitis, and Eleonor studied how this bacterium interacts with fibroblasts. The PhD studies resulted in four published papers focusing on how fibroblasts respond to P. gingivalis, and how P. gingivalis in turn manipulate this inflammatory responses.
The fast development of antimicrobial resistance is classified as a global crisis by the World Health Organization. The fast evolution of antimicrobial resistant pathogens are threatening our ability to treat common infectious diseases, resulting in prolonged illness, disability, and death. Without urgent action, the world is heading for a post-antibiotic era, in which common infections and minor injuries can once again kill. Eleonors main research field is to identify novel antimicrobial agents. An interesting field in this perspective is the antimicrobial peptides that are produced by bacteria, so-called bacteriocins. The goal is to find potent bacteriocins that can be used for treating severe infections caused by multidrug-resistant bacteria, including MRSA. An important part of this work is also to examine how these bacteriocins affect human cells.
Eleonor started her position a senior lecture with a specialization in clinical medicine in 2018.
Articles in journals
- Svärd, A. , Neilands, J. , Palm, E. , Svensäter, G. , Bengtsson, T. & Aili, D. (2020). Protein-Functionalized Gold Nanoparticles as Refractometric Nanoplasmonic Sensors for the Detection of Proteolytic Activity of Porphyromonas gingivalis. ACS Applied Nano Materials, 3 (10), 9822-9830.
- Ljunggren, S. , Bengtsson, T. , Karlsson, H. , Johansson Starkhammar, C. , Palm, E. , Nayeri, F. , Ghafouri, B. , Davies, J. & et al. (2019). Modified lipoproteins in periodontitis: a link to cardiovascular disease?. Bioscience Reports, 39 (3).
- Fürsatz, M. , Skog, M. , Sivlér, P. , Palm, E. , Aronsson, C. , Skallberg, A. , Greczynski, G. , Khalaf, H. & et al. (2018). Functionalization of bacterial cellulose wound dressings with the antimicrobial peptide ε-poly-L-Lysine. Biomedical Materials, 13.
- Bengtsson, T. , Lönn, J. , Khalaf, H. & Palm, E. (2018). The lantibiotic gallidermin acts bactericidal against Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus aureus and antagonizes the bacteria-induced proinflammatory responses in dermal fibroblasts. MicrobiologyOpen, 7 (6).
- Palm, E. , Demirel, I. , Bengtsson, T. & Khalaf, H. (2017). The role of toll-like and protease-activated receptors and associated intracellular signaling in Porphyromonas gingivalis-infected gingival fibroblasts. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica (APMIS), 125 (2), 157-169.
- Palm, E. , Khalaf, H. & Bengtsson, T. (2015). Suppression of inflammatory responses of human gingival fibroblasts by gingipains from Porphyromonas gingivalis. Molecular Oral Microbiology, 30 (1), 74-85.
- Palm, E. , Demirel, I. , Bengtsson, T. & Khalaf, H. (2015). The role of toll-like and protease-activated receptors in the expression of cytokines by gingival fibroblasts stimulated with the periodontal pathogen Porphyromonas gingivalis. Cytokine, 76 (2), 424-432.
- Lönn, J. , Johansson, C. S. , Nakka, S. , Palm, E. , Bengtsson, T. , Nayeri, F. & Ravald, N. (2014). High Concentration but Low Activity of Hepatocyte Growth Factor in Periodontitis. Journal of Periodontology, 85 (1), 113-122.
- Palm, E. , Khalaf, H. & Bengtsson, T. (2013). Porphyromonas gingivalis downregulates the immune response of fibroblasts. BMC Microbiology, 13, 155.
Chapters in books
- Khalaf, H. , Palm, E. & Bengtsson, T. (2017). Cellular Response Mechanisms in Porphyromonas gingivalis Infection. In: Pachiappan Arjunan, Periodontitis: A Useful Reference (pp. 45-68). . InTech.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Palm, E. (2015). Inflammatory responses of gingival fibroblasts in the interaction with the periodontal pathogen Porphyromonas gingivalis. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro university.
- Nakka, S. S. , Palm, E. , Bengtsson, T. & Khalaf, H. Bacteriocin plantaricin NC8 αβ antagonizes Porphyromonas gingivalis infection and induces proliferation of gingival epithelial cells.
- Nakka, S. S. , Palm, E. , Nayeri, F. , Bengtsson, T. & Khalaf, H. Effects of plantaricin NC8 αβ and antibodies on gingival epithelial cells infected by Porphyromonas gingivalis.
- Palm, E. , Demirel, I. , Bengtsson, T. & Khalaf, H. The role of toll-like and protease-activated receptors and associated intracellular signalling in Porphyromonas gingivalis-infected gingival fibroblasts.
- Palm, E. , Demirel, I. , Bengtsson, T. & Khalaf, H. The role of toll-like and protease-activated receptors in the expression of cytokines by gingival fibroblasts stimulated with the periodontal pathogen Porphyromonas gingivalis.