Faisal Ahmad KhanTitle: Postdoctoral Researcher School/office: School of Science and Technology
Phone: +46 19 303547
About Faisal Ahmad Khan
Faisal Ahmad Khan (PhD, Biology/Microbiology) is a researcher in the project “MicroSens - Improving sensory perception by altering oral microbiota”. Faisal has background and research experience in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, and Bioinformatics. The project is part of Örebro University’s strategic research initiative Food and Health.
Faisal is working in a trans-disciplinary consortium focused on microbiology, sensory perception and machine learning. The project aims at improving our understanding of the role of oral microbiota in taste perception. It will involve working with taste and sensory perception panels, metagenomic analysis of oral microbes, bioinformatics and machine learning for pattern recognition.
Faisal’s doctoral research has focused on the investigation of de novo emergence of bacterial resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics in conditions relevant to natural environments and the effect of temperature on the emergence of resistance. He also evaluated the prevalence of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae (CPE) in Swedish natural environments that are impacted by human and hospital wastewater, and the genetic comparison to local clinical bacteria.
Articles in journals
- Sid Ahmed, M. , Khan, F. A. , Hadi, H. A. , Skariah, S. , Sultan, A. A. , Salam, A. , Al Khal, A. L. , Söderquist, B. & et al. (2022). Association of blaVIM-2, blaPDC-35, blaOXA-10, blaOXA-488 and blaVEB-9 β-Lactamase Genes with Resistance to Ceftazidime-Avibactam and Ceftolozane-Tazobactam in Multidrug-Resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Antibiotics, 11 (2).
- Yewale, P. P. , Lokhande, K. B. , Sridhar, A. , Vaishnav, M. , Khan, F. A. , Mandal, A. , Swamy, K. V. , Jass, J. & et al. (2020). Molecular profiling of multidrug-resistant river water isolates: insights into resistance mechanism and potential inhibitors. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 27 (22), 27279-27292.
- Sid Ahmed, M. , Khan, F. A. , Sultan, A. A. , Söderquist, B. , Ibrahim, E. B. , Jass, J. & Omrani, A. S. (2020). β-lactamase-mediated resistance in MDR-Pseudomonas aeruginosa from Qatar. Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control, 9 (1).
- Fagerström, A. , Mölling, P. , Khan, F. A. , Sundqvist, M. , Jass, J. & Söderquist, B. (2019). Comparative distribution of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli from urine infections and environmental waters. PLOS ONE, 14 (11).
- Khan, F. A. , Söderquist, B. & Jass, J. (2019). Prevalence and Diversity of Antibiotic Resistance Genes in Swedish Aquatic Environments Impacted by Household and Hospital Wastewater. Frontiers in Microbiology, 10.
- Goswami, M. , Khan, F. A. , Ibrisevic, A. , Olsson, P. & Jass, J. (2018). Development of Escherichia coli-based gene expression profiling of sewage sludge leachates. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 125 (5), 1502-1517.
- Khan, F. A. , Hellmark, B. , Ehricht, R. , Söderquist, B. & Jass, J. (2018). Related carbapenemase-producing Klebsiella isolates detected in both a hospital and associated aquatic environment in Sweden. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, 37 (12), 2241-2251.
- Kumar, R. , Pradhan, A. , Khan, F. A. , Lindström, P. , Ragnvaldsson, D. , Ivarsson, P. , Olsson, P. & Jass, J. (2015). Comparative analysis of stress induced gene expression in caenorhabditis elegans following exposure to environmental and lab reconstituted complex metal mixture. PLOS ONE, 10 (7).
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Khan, F. A. (2020). Carbapenemase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae in Wastewater-Associated Aquatic Environments. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro University.