About Kai Wistrand
My research has mainly been oriented towards various aspects of systems development and the methods used in order to facilitate and assure quality during the development process. This area of research covers questions such as the nature of systems development methods themselves to pedagogical challenges and organizational psychology. A recent topic of interest is aspects of agility and the discrepancies between intended and actual agile benefits.
I am also interested in e-learning and the challenges and opportunities being provided by new technology. This includes issues connected to pedagogy, virtual and in-situ class room design, teacher-student interaction and
Most recently, I’m studying the psychological effects of enforced self-regulated, distance-based learning during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Articles in journals
- Islam, M. S. , Wistrand, K. & Gao, S. (2023). Learners and their learning environment in Swedish higher education: Challenges in computer-mediated learning during COVID-19. Nordic Journal of Digital Literacy, 18 (1), 35-47.
- Pelikan, E. R. , Korlat, S. , Reiter, J. , Holzer, J. , Mayerhofer, M. , Schober, B. , Spiel, C. , Hamzallari, O. & et al. (2021). Distance learning in higher education during COVID-19: The role of basic psychological needs and intrinsic motivation for persistence and procrastination-a multi-country study. PLOS ONE, 16 (10).
- Karlsson, F. & Wistrand, K. (2006). Combining method engineering with activity theory: theoretical grounding of the method component concept. European Journal of Information Systems, 15 (1), 82-90.
Chapters in books
- Mäki-Runsas, T. E. , Wistrand, K. & Karlsson, F. (2019). Cargo Cults in Information Systems Development: A Definition and an Analytical Framework. In: Bo Andersson, Björn Johansson, Chris Barry, Michael Lang, Henry Linger, Christoph Schneider, Advances in Information Systems Development: Designing Digitalization (pp. 35-53). . Springer International Publishing.
- Wistrand, K. , Moll, J. , Hatakka, M. & Andersson, A. (2020). Improving Writing Skills Among Information Systems Students: Guidelines for Incorporating Communication Components in Higher Education. In: 2020 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE). Paper presented at 2020 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), Uppsala, Sweden, October 21-24, 2020. IEEE.
- Mäki-Runsas, T. E. , Wistrand, K. & Karlsson, F. (2018). Cargo Cults in Information Systems Development: a Definition andan Analytical Framework. In: 27th International Conference on Information Systems Development (ISD2018). Paper presented at 27th International Conference on Information Systems Development (ISD2018), Lund, Sweden, August 22-24, 2018.
- Linander, F. , Wistrand, K. & Karlsson, F. (2016). Measuring and Visualising Projects' Collective Method Rationale. In: Jennifer Horcoff, Manfred A. Jeusfeld, Anne Persson, The Practice of Enterprise Modeling 9th IFIP WG 8.1. Working Conference, PoEM 2016, Skövde, Sweden, November 8-10, 2016, Proceedings. Paper presented at 9th IFIP WG 8.1 Working Conference on The Practice of Enterprise Modeling, Skövde, Sweden, November 8-10, 2016. (pp. 344-352). Springer International Publishing.
- Wistrand, K. , Karlsson, F. & Ågerfalk, P. J. (2010). Exploring the role of method rationale in the context of teaching information systems development methods. In: George A. Papadopoulos ..., Information systems development towards a service provision society. Paper presented at 17th International Conference on Information Systems Development, (ISD2008), Paphos, Cyprus, 25–27 August 2008. (pp. 801-809). Heidelberg: Springer.
- Karlsson, F. & Wistrand, K. (2005). Supporting collaborative actions through method engineering: exploring the potential of activity theory. Paper presented at Action in Language, Organisations and Information Systems (ALOIS 2005).
- Karlsson, F. & Wistrand, K. (2004). MC Sandbox: Tool Support for Method Configuration. Paper presented at The Ninth CAiSE/IFIP 8.1/EUNO, Evaluation of Modelling Methods in Systems Analysis and Design 2004 (EMMSAD’04), Riga, Latvia, Jun 7-8, 2004.
- Wistrand, K. & Karlsson, F. (2004). Method components: rationale revealed. Paper presented at The 16th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering, CAiSE 2004.
- Ågerfalk, P. , Wistrand, K. , Karlsson, F. , Börjesson, G. , Elmberg, M. & Möller, K. (2003). Flexibile Processes and Method Configuration: Outline of a Joint Industry-Academia Research Project. In: Hammoudi S.,Filipe J.,Piattini M.,Camp O., ICEIS 2003 - Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems. Paper presented at 5th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2003), Angers, France, April 23-26, 2003. (pp. 519-522). Angers, France: Escola Superior de Tecnologia do Instituto Politecnico de Setubal.
Doctoral theses, monographs
- Wistrand, K. (2009). Method rationale revealed: communication of knowledge in systems development methods. (Doctoral dissertation). Örebro: Örebro universitet.