About Kajsa Hult
Kajsa Hult is a PhD student in meal science at Örebro University since 2019. Her research project aims to highlight the creative and inspiring facets of the services performed in the dining room, as opposed to most previous research where focus tends to shift into the kitchen. The purpose is to understand the individuals performing these tasks to a greater extent, to portray how hospitality is performed, and to examine the importance of contemporary restaurants in relation to the gastronomical development. Furthermore, the project also serves to develop and deepen knowledge of hospitality by studying the day-to-day operations at restaurants, as well as identifying the role a restaurant environment plays in forming meaning and identity with the hospitality worker. In a broader sense, the ambition is also for the project to contribute to a future improvement of the hospitality worker’s status.
Kajsa has a one-year master from Umeå University and has previously worked as assistant lecture with teaching areas in hospitality and beverages. In addition to her academic interest in restaurant research, she occasionally works practically in the restaurant industry.
- Hult, K. (ed.) , Jonsson, I. M. (ed.) , Scander, H. (ed.) & Wellton, L. (ed.) (2022). Nordic Association for Food Studies Workshop 2021: Communicating and presenting food from the past to the future: Historical, contemporary and evolving perspectives: NAFS Workshop 2021: Grythyttan, November 25th. Örebro: Örebro University (Måltidskunskap 6).
- Carrillo, J. (ed.) , Hult, K. (ed.) , Jonsson, I. M. (ed.) , Scander, H. (ed.) & Wellton, L. (ed.) (2021). Nordic Association for Food Studies Workshop 2020: Foodways at a crossroads: Sustainability, Gastronomy and Rethinking the traditions of how to Eat. Örebro: Örebro University (Måltidskunskap 5).
- Hult, K. , Lainpelto, J. , Walter, U. & Jonsson, I. M. (2022). Constructing the hospitality superstar: A document analysis of job advertisements in Sweden. In: M. Michaud; A. Giboreau; A. Perez-Cueto, Menu Volume 10 - Special issue. Report of ICCAS Proceedings. Twelfth International Conference on Culinary Arts and Sciences. Paper presented at 12th International Conference on Culinary Arts and Sciences (ICCAS 2022), Sustainable meal systems worldwide: Challenges for Culinary Arts and Sciences, Lyon, France, June 2-3, 2022 (pp. 92-92). Institut Paul Bocuse.
- Hult, K. (2022). The contemporary culinary hospitality identity in restaurant dining rooms. Paper presented at Tore Wretman Symposium 2022, Stockholm, Sweden, November 1-2, 2022.
- Hult, K. & Scander, H. (2021). A deconstruction of the restaurant industry: from the perspective of dining room professionals. Paper presented at Tore Wretman-dagen, Kungliga Skogs- och Lantbruksakademien, (KSLA), Stockholm, Sweden, October 20, 2021.
- Hult, K. (2021). Front of the house professionals’ identity creations: Symbols and underlying motivations of hospitality as performance in small-scale restaurant establishments. In: Julia Carrillo; Kajsa Hult; Inger M. Jonsson; Henrik Scander; Lotte Wellton, Nordic Association for Food Studies Workshop 2020 Foodways at a crossroads: Sustainability, Gastronomy and Rethinking the traditions of how to Eat. Paper presented at Nordic association for food studies Conference (NAFS 2020) Grythyttan, Sweden, November 14, 2020 (pp. 30-32). Örebro: Örebro University.