Louise SundTitle: Researcher School/office: School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
Phone: +46 19 303000
About Louise Sund
Louise Sund is an experienced upper secondary school teacher, a certified teacher and an associate professor in Education. She has been at Mälardalen University’s School of Education, Culture and Communication since 2003 and she has been working part-time at Örebro University’s School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences since 2009. She is the research education coordinator in didactics and senior lecturer in the teacher education programmes at Mälardalen University and currently a researcher in education at Örebro University (2018-2021).
She is a member of the research environment SMED (Studies of Meaning-Making in Educational Discourses) at Örebro University, a cross-university research environment in the field of didactics and educational science and the research group ESERGO (Environmental and Sustainability Education Research Group Örebro) whose research examines empirically and theoretically the ethical and political aspects of environmental and sustainability education. She is also a member of the research group SOS-ED (Studies on Social Sustainability in Education) at Mälardalen University that gathers members who have an interest in formal and non-formal education and learning processes for the social aspect of sustainability.
Her PhD research took its point of departure in the change of emphasis in the field of environmental and sustainability education towards the inclusion of social and human development issues. Louise current research draws on postcolonial and decolonial theoretical resources to examine productive pedagogical tensions in the intersections between environmental and sustainability education and global citizenship education. She has worked on a number of projects seeking to understand the challenges that teachers face when addressing global equity and justice issues in their classrooms and identify how this work can be developed and supported.
Louise is a regular reviewer for a number of international journals such as Environmental Education Research, Journal of Curriculum Studies, Journal of Moral Education and Sustainability, for the last-mentioned journal she is also a member of the editorial board as topic editor. She is also a member of the convenor group and reviewer for network Environmental and Sustainability Education Research for the European Conference on Educational Research. She is a regular presenter at this conference having presented there since 2012.
Articles in journals
- Walshe, N. & Sund, L. (2022). Developing (Transformative) Environmental and Sustainability Education in Classroom Practice. Sustainability, 14 (1).
- Tryggvason, Á. , Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2022). Schooling and ESE: revisiting Stevenson’s gap from a pragmatist perspective. Environmental Education Research, 1-14.
- Öhman, J. & Sund, L. (2021). A didactic model of sustainability commitment. Sustainability, 13 (6).
- Pashby, K. & Sund, L. (2020). Decolonial options and challenges for ethical global issues pedagogy in Northern Europe secondary classrooms. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education, 4 (1), 66-83.
- Sund, L. & Pashby, K. (2020). Delinking global issues in northern Europe classrooms. The Journal of Environmental Education, 51 (2), 156-170.
- Pashby, K. , da Costa, M. & Sund, L. (2020). Pluriversal possibilities and challenges for Global Education in Northern Europe. Journal of Social Science Education, 19 (4), 45-62.
- Sund, L. , Quennerstedt, M. & Öhman, M. (2019). The embodied social studies classroom: Repositioning the body in the social sciences in school. Cogent Education, 6 (1), 1-21.
- Sund, L. & Pashby, K. (2018). ‘Is It That We Do Not Want Them to Have Washing Machines?’: Ethical Global Issues Pedagogy in Swedish Classrooms. Sustainability, 10 (10).
- Sund, P. & Sund, L. (2017). ”Alla gör fel?!” Hinder för lärares bedömning av elevers praktiska förmågor under ett nationellt prov. NorDiNa: Nordic Studies in Science Education, 13 (1), 3-16.
- Sund, L. (2016). Facing global sustainability issues: Teachers’ experiences of their own practices in environmental and sustainability education. Environmental Education Research, 22 (6), 788-805.
- Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2014). On the need to repoliticise environmental and sustainability education: rethinking the post-political consensus. Environmental Education Research, 20 (5), 639-659.
- Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2014). Swedish teachers’ ethical reflections on a study visit to Central America. Journal of Moral Education, 43 (3), 316-331.
- Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2011). Cosmopolitan perspectives on education and sustainable development: between universal ideals and particular values. Utbildning och Demokrati, 20 (1), 13-34.
Chapters in books
- Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2022). A transactional perspective on ethics and morals. In: Jim Garrison; Johan Öhman; Leif Östman, Deweyan transactionalism in education: Beyond self-action and inter-action (pp. 193-206). London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Pashby, K. & Sund, L. (2020). Critical GCE in the era of SDG 4.7.: Discussing HEADSUP with secondary teachers in England, Finland, and Sweden. In: Douglas Bourn, Bloomsbury Handbook for Global Education and Learning (pp. 314-326). . Bloomsbury Academic.
- Pashby, K. , da Costa, M. , Sund, L. & Corcoran, S. (2020). Resourcing an ethical global issues pedagogy: A participatory project with secondary teachers in northern Europe. In: Sandra Saúde, Maria Albertina Raposo, Nuno Pereira, Ana Isabel Rodrigues, Teaching and Learning Practices that Promote Sustainable Development and Active Citizenship (pp. 47-66). . IGI Global.
- Pashby, K. & Sund, L. (2019). Bridging 4.7 with Secondary Teachers: Engaging critical scholarship in Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship. In: Bamber, Philip, Teacher Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship: Critical Perspectives on Values, Curriculum and Assessment (pp. 99-112). . Routledge.
- Sund, L. & Pashby, K. (2019). Taking-up ethical global issues in the classroom. In: Poeck, K. van; Östman, L. and Öhman, J., Sustainable Development Teaching: Ethical and political challenges (pp. 204-212). . Routledge.
- Tryggvason, Á. , Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2021). Schooling and ESE: Revisiting Stevenson’s argument from a pragmatist perspective. Paper presented at European Conference on Educational Research (ECER 2021), (Online Conference), September 6–10, 2021.
- Tryggvason, Á. , Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2021). The habit of schooling and the habit of inquiry in ESE. Paper presented at Nordisk forskningskonferanse om bærekraft i utdanning, Oslo, Norway, October 21–22, 2021.
- Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2013). Teachers’ ethical reflections on a North–South study visit. Paper presented at ECER i Istanbul, Turkiet, 10–13 september, 2013.
- Sund, L. & Öhman, J. (2012). Poststructural criticism of cosmopolitanism: implications for education for sustainable development. Paper presented at American Educational Research Association (AERA).
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Sund, L. (2014). Om global etik i miljö- och hållbarhetsutbildningens policy och praktik. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro university.