Merja EllefsonTitle: Senior Lecturer School/office: School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
Phone: +46 19 302124
About Merja Ellefson
Merja Ellefson has previously worked at the Department of Journalism, Media and Communication (JMK), Stockholm University, and the Department of Culture and Media Studies, Umeå University. In 2021 appointed as Excellent Teacher, and in 2018 the Winner of Pedagogical Prize at Faculty of Humanities, Umeå University.
Teaching experience ranges from first year students to masters students; qualitative methods, press history, critical theory, theory of the public sphere, media and diversity issues, as well as supervision of term papers, and candidate and master thesis.
Research interests: media and communication history; mediated memories; nationalism and construction of ethnic majorities and minorities; minority media; media, ethnicity, gender and social class.
Articles in journals
- Ellefson, M. (2021). Whose Nation? Memories of the 1918 Finnish Civil War in Military Magazines. medien & zeit: Kommunikation in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart, 36 (1).
- Ellefson, M. (2012). "Sons of the Midnight Sun": Korpelanism, Sámi and Finnish Minorities in Swedish Newspapers in late 1930s. Media History Monographs, 14 (2), 1-21.
- Ellefson, M. (2011). Re-mapping Journalism History: Development of the Press in the Swedish Empire and Its Former Colonies Finland, Estonia and Livonia until the Early 20th Century. medien & zeit: Kommunikation in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart, 26 (4), 25-35.
Chapters in books
- Ellefson, M. (2016). The Hero's Mother: Lotta Svärd and mediated memories. In: Anu Kannike; Monika Tasa, The Dynamics of Cultural Borders (pp. 147-168). Tartu: University of Tartu Press.
- Ellefson, M. & Kingsepp, E. (2004). The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Stereotyping Russia, the Western Way. In: Kristina Riegert, News of the other: tracing identity in Scandinavian constructions of the eastern Baltic Sea region (pp. 203-222). Göteborg: Nordicom.
- Ellefson, M. (2019). Remembering the civil war: from hatred to conciliation. Paper presented at 3rd Annual Memory Studies Association Conference (MSA 2019), Madrid, Spain, June 25-28, 2019.
- Ellefson, M. (2018). Audience comments, racism and Sami. In: Diaspora and Media Working Group Abstracts of papers presented at the annual conference of the International Association for Media and Communication Research. Paper presented at International Association for Media and Communication Research Conference (IAMCR 2018), Eugene, Oregon, USA, June 20–24, 2018 (pp. 7-7).
- Ellefson, M. (2017). The People’s Home? Crime, class, gender and ethnicity in the 1930s Swedish dailies. Paper presented at 27th Biennial Conference of the International Association for Media and History (IAMHIST 2017): Crime, violence and justice, Paris, France, July 10-13, 2017.
- Ellefson, M. , Agirreazkuenaga, I. , Ferrández Ferrer, A. , Graf, H. & Pavlikova, M. (2016). Ethnic Minority Media in Russia, the UK, Germany, Spain, Estonia and the Nordic Countries. In: ECREA 2016 Abstract Book Mediated (Dis)Continuities: Contesting Pasts, Presents and Futures. Paper presented at 6th European Communication Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, November 9-12, 2016 (pp. 114-114). Prague: CZECH-IN, s. r. o..
Doctoral theses, monographs
- Ellefson, M. (2007). Staten är vår herde god: Representationer av annorlundahet och ordning i fyra svenska trettiotalstidningar. (Doctoral dissertation). Stockholm: Institutionen för journalistik, medier och kommunikation (JMK).