About Mikael Ivarsson
Mikael Ivarsson is an associate professor and university lecturer at the Department of Health Sciences . After a pharmacy degree, Mikael earned his PhD in medical biochemistry in 1996 at Uppsala University. In the doctoral dissertation, healing processes were studied focusing on connective tissue production, especially collagen. Among other things, he studied how pericytes around small vessels could differentiate into collagen-producing cells and participate in the formation of connective tissue. A scholarship from the Cancer Foundation took Mikael to Dijon in France with an in-depth study of the role of extracellular matrix in cancer cell survival. Another scholarship, this time from the Swedish Society for Medical Research, provided an opportunity to study the mechanisms underlying the beneficial effect of skin epithelial cells on scarring - an area of particular importance for the problem of burn injuries. That work was done at the Academic Hospital in Uppsala. In Örebro, Mikael has been active at the Clinical Research Center at the University Hospital and as a teacher and researcher at the University. The present research further builds on the activity of connective tissue cells especiallyr elated to inflammation in wound healing (chronic wounds) but also in inflammatory processes in the bone marrow seen in so-called myeloproliferative neoplasias.
Articles in journals
- Ivarsson, M. , Prenkert, M. , Cheema, A. , Wretenberg, P. & Andjelkov, N. (2021). Mussel Adhesive Protein as a Promising Alternative to Fibrin for Scaffold Fixation during Cartilage Repair Surgery. Cartilage, 13 (Suppl. 2), 663S-671S.
- Andjelkov, N. , Riyadh, H. , Ivarsson, M. , Kacarevic-Popovic, Z. , Krstic, J. & Wretenberg, P. (2021). The enhancement of cartilage regeneration by use of a chitosan-based scaffold in a 3D model of microfracture in vitro: a pilot evaluation. Journal of experimental orthopaedics, 8 (1).
- Koskela von Sydow, A. , Janbaz, C. , Kardeby, C. , Repsilber, D. & Ivarsson, M. (2016). IL-1α Counteract TGF-β Regulated Genes and Pathways in Human Fibroblasts. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 117 (7), 1622-1632.
- Landström, F. , Ivarsson, M. , von Sydow, A. K. , Magnuson, A. , von Beckerath, M. & Möller, C. (2015). Electrochemotherapy: Evidence for Cell-type Selectivity In Vitro. Anticancer Research, 35 (11), 5813-5820.
- Ivarsson, M. , Schollin, J. & Björkqvist, M. (2013). Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus aureus trigger different interleukin-8 and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in lung cells: implications for inflammatory complications following neonatal sepsis. Acta Paediatrica, 102 (10), 1010-1016.
- Hakelius, M. , Koskela, A. , Reyhani, V. , Ivarsson, M. , Grenman, R. , Rubin, K. , Gerdin, B. & Nowinski, D. (2012). Interleukin-1-mediated effects of normal oral keratinocytes and head and neck squamous carcinoma cells on extracellular matrix related gene expression in fibroblasts. Oral Oncology, 48 (12), 1236-1241.
- Nowinski, D. , Koskela, A. , Kiwanuka, E. , Boström, M. , Gerdin, B. & Ivarsson, M. (2010). Inhibition of Connective Tissue Growth Factor/CCN2 Expression in Human Dermal Fibroblasts by Interleukin-1 alpha and beta. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 110 (5), 1226-1233.
- Jimbo, R. , Ivarsson, M. , Koskela, A. , Sul, Y. & Johansson, C. B. (2010). Protein adsorption to surface chemistry and crystal structure modification of titanium surfaces. Journal of oral & maxillofacial research, 1 (3), e3.
- Koskela, A. , Engström, K. , Hakelius, M. , Nowinski, D. & Ivarsson, M. (2010). Regulation of fibroblast gene expression by keratinocytes in organotypic skin culture provides possible mechanisms for the antifibrotic effect of reepithelialization.. Wound Repair and Regeneration, 18 (5), 452-459.
- Tsai, J. A. , Andersson, M. K. , Ivarsson, M. , Granberg, B. & Stark, A. (2009). Effects of synovial fluid from aseptic prosthesis loosening on collagen production in osteoblasts. International Orthopaedics, 33 (3), 873-877.
- Åström, M. , Welander, E. , Pourlotfi, A. , Abawi, A. , Ahlstrand, E. & Ivarsson, M. (2018). Activated interferon signaling in cultured BMSC from myelofibrosis patients: core finding of a proteomic study. Paper presented at 2nd International Conference on Tissue Repair, Regeneration, and Fibrosis, Chania, Crete, Greece, June 13-16, 2018.
- Welander, E. , Åström, M. , Enonge Fotabe, L. , Kardeby, C. , Tina, E. , Elgbratt, K. , Pourlotfi, A. , Abawi, A. & et al. (2018). Integrated analysis indicates reciprocal immune response dysregulations between bone marrow multipotent stromal cells and granulocytes at the mRNA but not at the protein level in myelofibrosis. Paper presented at Fortbildningsdagar i hematologi, Umeå, 3-5 Oktober, 2018.
- Koskela von Sydow, A. , Janbaz, C. , Bergemalm, D. & Ivarsson, M. IL-1α counteracts TGF-β regulated protein expression in human dermal fibroblasts.