About Ricardo Goncalves
Ricardo is a PhD student in Education with focus on Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC). He holds a bachelor's degree in ECEC and in Education, as well a master's degree in Pedagogical Work. His research interests are didactics, gender and gender equality in ECEC with special focus on male practitioners. In his research project Ricardo investigates the relation between male preschool teacher, children and physical touch in ECEC settings. Its aim is to study how physical touch as pedagogical action can create conditions for children's care and learning, and also for male preschool teacher's professional practice.
Ricardo is teaching in the preschool teacher training programme that includes courses on play, learning, aesthetic and critical pedagogy in Early Chilldhood Education. He is also part of the research groups: ReCEL (Reasearch on Children, Education and Learning), Gender Balance (EECERA Special Interest Group) and HOME (Brazilian Research Group on Men, Masculinities and Education).
Articles in journals
- Gonçalves de Sousa, R. & Lopes da Silva, W. (2022). Expectativas e tensões sobre a presença de homens educadores na educação infantil: uma breve revisão de estudos internacionais [Expectations and tensions about the presence of male practitioners in Early Childhood Education: A brief review of international studies]. Perspectivas em Diálogo: Revista de Educação e Sociedade, 9 (20), 139-160.
- Gonçalves de Sousa, R. & Lopes da Silva, W. (2020). Profissionais de Educação Infantil na Suécia: limites e possibilidades de compartilhamento de tarefas entre homens e mulheres: [Preschool practitioners in Sweden: limitations and possibilities on sharing of tasks between men and women]. Revista Zero-a-Seis, 22 (42), 341-366.
Chapters in books
- Gonçalves de Sousa, R. & Aparecida da Silva Nogueira, N. (2023). Gender and sexuality in Brazilian early childhood education. In: Deevia Bhana; Yuwei Xu; Vina Adriany, Gendered and Sexual Norms in Global South Early Childhood Education: Understanding Normative Discourses in Post-Colonial Contexts. UK: Routledge.
- Emilsen, K. , Goncalves, R. , Ljunggren, B. & Sales dos Santos, S. V. (2023). Children’s perspectives on their male and female teachers in Brazil and Norway. Paper presented at 31st European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA 2023), Cascais, Portugal, August 30 - September 2, 2023. Cascais, Portugal:
- Goncalves, R. (2023). Touch as pedagogical action: supporting children’s learning and care and men’s work in ECEC. Paper presented at 31st European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA 2023), Cascais, Portugal, August 30 - September 2, 2023.
- Goncalves De Sousa, R. (2022). Possibilities and challenges for male practitioners in Early Childhood Education and Care. Paper presented at 74th World Assembly and OMEP International Conference (OMEP 2022), Athens, Greece, July 12-15, 2022.
- Goncalves De Sousa, R. (2022). Touch in interaction between male practitioners and children: a tool for supporting children’s care, play and learning and challenging gender norms in ECEC. Paper presented at 30th European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA 2022), Glasgow, Scotland, August 23-26, 2022.
- Gonçalves de Sousa, R. (2021). Men who care: A review of studies on male practitioners in Early Childhood Education and Care. Paper presented at European Conference on Educational Research (ECER 2021), (Online Conference), Geneva, Switzerland, September 6-10, 2021.
- Goncalves De Sousa, R. (2021). Men who care: A review of studies on male practitioners in Early Childhood Education and Care. Paper presented at Nordic Educational Research Association (NERA 2021), Odense, Denmark, November 3-5, 2021.