About Tatiana Marques
Dr Tatiana Milena Marques (1980) has a B.Sc. in Pharmacy from the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil and a Master degree in Bio-Systems Sustainability from Hokkaido University, Japan. In 2014 she obtained a PhD in Microbiology at APC Microbiome Institute, University College Cork, Ireland. Her Ph.D. research focused on the analysis of microbiota-host interactions and production of bioactive compounds by human intestinal microbes. Since November 2015 Dr Marques has been working in Sweden as a Researcher at the Nutrition-Gut-Brain Interactions Research Centre (NGBI), Örebro University. Her main area of interest is the interactions of the human gut microbiota with other organs and body systems, and the determining mechanisms by which diet may modulate the microbiota and influence the host in health and disease. Together with her colleagues Dr Marques has established national and international collaborations, including strong partnership with industry. She is the main applicant of a successful grant application to The European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN) and a co-applicant in several successful grant applications, including applications to Vetenskapsrådet and Formas. Dr Marques is currently one of the directors of studies of the Food Science Sweden Graduate School LiFT (Future Technologies for Food Production).
Articles in journals
- Karlsson, J. , Lopez-Sanchez, P. , Marques, T. M. , Hyötyläinen, T. , Castro Alves, V. , Krona, A. & Ström, A. (2024). Effect of heating of pea fibres on their swelling, rheological properties and in vitro colon fermentation. Food Hydrocolloids, 147.
- Seeburger, P. , Forsman, H. , Bevilacqua, G. , Marques, T. M. , Morales, L. O. , Prado, S. B. R. , Strid, Å. , Hyötyläinen, T. & et al. (2023). From farm to fork… and beyond! UV enhances Aryl hydrocarbon receptor-mediated activity of cruciferous vegetables in human intestinal cells upon colonic fermentation. Food Chemistry, 426.
- Tabat, M. W. , Marques, T. M. , Markgren, M. , Löfvendahl, L. , Brummer, R. J. & Wall, R. (2020). Acute Effects of Butyrate on Induced Hyperpermeability and Tight Junction Protein Expression in Human Colonic Tissues. Biomolecules, 10 (5).
- Neumann, G. , Wall, R. , Rangel, I. , Marques, T. M. & Repsilber, D. (2018). Qualitative modelling of the interplay of inflammatory status and butyrate in the human gut: a hypotheses about robust bi-stability. BMC Systems Biology, 12 (1).
- Marques, T. M. , Patterson, E. , Wall, R. , O'Sullivan, O. , Fitzgerald, G. F. , Cotter, P. D. , Dinan, T. G. , Cryan, J. F. & et al. (2016). Influence of GABA and GABA-producing Lactobacillus brevis DPC 6108 on the development of diabetes in a streptozotocin rat model. Beneficial Microbes, 7 (3), 409-420.
- Patterson, E. , Marques, T. M. , O'Sullivan, O. , Fitzgerald, P. , Fitzgerald, G. F. , Cotter, P. D. , Dinan, T. G. , Cryan, J. F. & et al. (2015). Streptozotocin-induced type-1-diabetes disease onset in Sprague-Dawley rats is associated with an altered intestinal microbiota composition and decreased diversity. Microbiology, 161 (Pt 1), 182-93.
- Murphy, E. F. , Clarke, S. F. , Marques, T. M. , Hill, C. , Stanton, C. , Ross, R. P. , O'Doherty, R. M. , Shanahan, F. & et al. (2013). Antimicrobials: Strategies for targeting obesity and metabolic health?. Gut microbes, 4 (1), 48-53.
- Murphy, E. F. , Cotter, P. D. , Hogan, A. , O'Sullivan, O. , Joyce, A. , Fouhy, F. , Clarke, S. F. , Marques, T. M. & et al. (2013). Divergent metabolic outcomes arising from targeted manipulation of the gut microbiota in diet-induced obesity. Gut, 62 (2), 220-226.
- Marques, T. M. , Cryan, J. F. , Shanahan, F. , Fitzgerald, G. F. , Ross, R. P. , Dinan, T. G. & Stanton, C. (2013). Gut microbiota modulation and implications for host health: dietary strategies to influence the gut-brain axis. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 22, 239-247.
- Murphy, E. F. , Cotter, P. D. , Healy, S. , Marques, T. M. , O'Sullivan, O. , Fouhy, F. , Clarke, S. F. , O'Toole, P. W. & et al. (2010). Composition and energy harvesting capacity of the gut microbiota: relationship to diet, obesity and time in mouse models. Gut, 59 (12), 1635-42.
- Dinoto, A. , Marques, T. M. , Sakamoto, K. , Fukiya, S. , Watanabe, J. , Ito, S. & Yokota, A. (2006). Population dynamics of Bifidobacterium species in human feces during raffinose administration monitored by fluorescence in situ hybridization-flow cytometry. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 72 (12), 7739-47.
- Larsson, C. , Athlin, S. , Dahlberg, K. , Eklund, D. , Fernberg, U. , Johansson, I. , Kumawat, A. K. & Marques, T. M. Larsson, C. (ed.) , Athlin, S. (ed.) , Dahlberg, K. (ed.) , Eklund, D. (ed.) , Fernberg, U. (ed.) , Johansson, I. (ed.) , Kumawat, A. K. (ed.) & Marques, T. M. (ed.) (2022). Örebro University’s Nobel Day Festivities: Book of abstracts 2022. Örebro: Örebro Universitet.
Chapters in books
- Marques, T. M. , Holster, S. , Wall, R. , König, J. & Brummer, R. J. (2016). Correlating the gut microbiome to health and disease. In: Niall Hyland, Catherine Stanton, The Gut-Brain Axis: Dietary, Probiotic, and Prebiotic Interventions on the Microbiota (pp. 261-291). . Elsevier.
- Gorreja, F. , Rush, S. , Marques, T. M. , Repsilber, D. , Baker, A. , Wall, R. & Brummer, R. J. (2018). The impacts of probiotics and prebiotics on the gut mucosa and immune system through targeting inflammation and intestinal barrier function. Paper presented at Food and Inflammation - 2nd Conference of Food Science Sweden, Örebro, Sweden, 21 Nov., 2018.
- Wall, R. , Marques, T. , Edebol-Carlman, H. , Sundin, J. , Vumma, R. , Rangel, I. & Brummer, R. J. (2017). Altered expression of membrane transporters in colonic mucosa of patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Post-infectious (PI)-IBS compared to healthy subjects. In: Neurogastroenterology and Motility. John Wiley & Sons.