Klinisk forskningsmetodik, epidemiologi och biostatistik, 7,5 högskolepoäng
Research Education Subject
- Medical Science
The aim of the course is to extend basic knowledge of clinical research methods, particularly in epidemiology and biostatistics. The course is designed to provide enough knowledge for participants to understand and implement basic observational and intervention study designs in epidemiology and relevant techniques for their statistical analysis. Many of the techniques and concepts will be relevant to more clinical and laboratory-based studies in addition to epidemiology. After the course, participants should be able to identify appropriate methods and draw appropriate conclusions from research results with an evidence-based perspective. The biostatistical training component of the course will utilise SPSS statistical software.
- Study design for epidemiological observational studies including cohort and case-control.
- Intervention studies, including randomised trials.
- Relevant statistical analysis methods for the above designs.
- Hypothesis testing and causal inference.
- Assessing results and considering the influence of error, bias and confounding.
- Using statistical software (SPSS).
The course language will be English.
The course is full-time over a two-week period, during week 46-47, autum 2018.
To gain access to the course and complete the examinations included in the course, the applicant must be admitted to doctoral education at Örebro University. Applicants enrolled at another university can participate in availability.
In addition, the applicant has passed the doctoral course: General Scientific Methods in Medical Science (15 credits) at Örebro University or a corresponding course that covered the necessary epidemiological and statistical methods.