About Alexander Isacsson
Alexander Isacsson is a researcher in history. He was awaraded the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy after successfully defending his doctoral dissertation in June 2023. He is currently developing a research project that explores the editing and publishing historical sources between the eighteenth and twentieth centuries.
Alexander Isacsson's research interests include early modern cultural history, court studies, royal studies, historiography and media history. He is currently developing a project that aims to analyze the practice of editing and publishing historical sources with concepts devolped in media history, such as media system and remediation.
In his doctoral thesis, entitled Defining Dukeship: The Problem of Royal Spares and Dynasty Formation in Sweden, 1556-1622, Isacsson explored the relation between dukeship and dynasty formation. By studying how dukes defined their position and how it was defined by others, the book shows the ways in which the problem of royal spares influenced the integration processes of a royal house and state in early modern Sweden.
The book is available as open access, and can be found here
Alexander teaches on several history courses such as History in Society, Ancient and Medieval History, Early Modern History, Historical Narration, Norm Critical Perspectives on History. He has also supervised students in the course Historical Research Paper.
Articles in journals
- Isacsson, A. (2021). Dynastisk centralisering i 1560-talets Sverige: "Reservens dilemma" och hertigarnas resning 1568. Scandia, 87 (1), 11-37.
- Isacsson, A. (2018). Monarchical Image-Making in an Age of Revolution: Embodying the ‘Traditional’ and the ‘Modern’ in Swedish Dynastic Ceremonies, c. 1780–1820. Scandinavian Journal of History, 43 (5), 666-684.
- Isacsson, A. (2017). Ceremonies and Rituals. The Court Historian, 22 (1), 90-91.
Articles, book reviews
- Isacsson, A. (2023). Recension av: Hovet: Historien om ett kungligt maskineri. Karolinska förbundets årsbok, 120-123.
- Isacsson, A. (2021). Recension av: Kungar – en världshistoria: [Kings - a world history]. Historisk Tidskrift, 141 (4), 742-744.
- Isacsson, A. (2021). Recension av: Powers of Description: Language and Social History in the Long Eighteenth Century. Historisk Tidskrift, 141 (1), 137-140.
- Isacsson, A. (2015). Dissekering av ett lokalsamhälle: En studie av sociokulturella mönster på småländsk landsbygd 1838-1845. Vadstena: Landsarkivet i Vadstena (Småskrifter från Landsarkivet i Vadstena 3).
Doctoral theses, monographs
- Isacsson, A. (2023). Defining Dukeship: The Problem of Royal Spares and Dynasty Formation in Sweden, 1556-1622. (Doctoral dissertation). Örebro: Örebro University.