About Cecilia Bergh
Cecilia Bergh is senior lecturer at the School of Health Sciences combined with a position as a clinical physiotherapist at Örebro University Hospital. Cecilia has a degree in Physiotherapy from the Karolinska Institute from 1998, and defended her thesis” Life-course influences on occurrence and outcome for stroke and coronary heart disease” at Örebro University in 2017. Her research is focused on life-style, cardiometabolic health and inflammation.
Cecilia’s doctoral thesis included register-based studies on how characteristics in adolescence and adulthood, such as stress resilience and physical fitness, are linked with subsequent cardiovascular risk. As a member of the Clinical Epidemiology group, her post-doc period focused on life-course exposures relevant to later health and cardiovascular disease, in particular precursors of low stress resilience. Her post-doc projects investigated how the stress response, and other characteristics in adolescence, may be influenced by perinatal and early life stress.
Current research has a methodological width from epidemiological studies to randomized controlled clinical trials, and involves a lifestyle approach to disease risk to identify targets for risk reduction with a focus on lifestyle related exposures. Ongoing studies focus on risk markers, epidemiology and randomized interventions. Cecilia is principal investigator of a 900 patients clinical trial, (BIOAMI), initiated by and coordinated from Örebro University Hospital. This study will investigate the role of Nordic foods, such as bilberries and oats, for secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease in patients with acute myocardial infarction
Cecilia has many years of experience as a study group tutor at the School of Medicine. Her current teaching activities are mainly at the Master's Programme in Sports Physiology and Medicine. Cecilia is supervising students at candidate and master level at both the School of Health Sciences and the School of Medical Sciences. She is also teaching and cooridinating courses related to her research area, including at PhD level, mainly in the field of research methodology and design.
Networks and collaborations
The national collaborative network includes researchers from Örebro University, Lund University, Chalmers University of Technology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Hospital Region Västmanland, Karlstad Central Hospital, Odense University Hospital, DK and Steno Diabets Center, DK including development of functional food products in collaboration with the research-driven company Glucanova in Lund and the Green Dairy in Karlshamn.
Articles in journals
- Tingö, L. , Hutchinson, A. N. , Bergh, C. , Stiefvatter, L. , Schweinlin, A. , Jensen, M. G. , Krüger, K. , Bischoff, S. C. & et al. (2022). Potential Modulation of Inflammation by Probiotic and Omega-3 Supplementation in Elderly with Chronic Low-Grade Inflammation-A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Nutrients, 14 (19).
- Bergh, C. , Landberg, R. , Andersson, K. , Heyman-Lindén, L. , Rascón, A. , Magnuson, A. , Khalili, P. , Kåregren, A. & et al. (2021). Effects of Bilberry and Oat intake on lipids, inflammation and exercise capacity after Acute Myocardial Infarction (BIOAMI): study protocol for a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Trials, 22 (1).
- Mohammad, M. A. , Tham, J. , Koul, S. , Rylance, R. , Bergh, C. , Erlinge, D. & Fröbert, O. (2020). Association of acute myocardial infarction with influenza: A nationwide observational study. PLOS ONE, 15 (8).
- Bryl-Górecka, P. , Sathanoori, R. , Arevström, L. , Landberg, R. , Bergh, C. , Evander, M. , Olde, B. , Laurell, T. & et al. (2020). Bilberry Supplementation after Myocardial Infarction Decreases Microvesicles in Blood and Affects Endothelial Vesiculation. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, 64 (20).
- Arevström, L. , Bergh, C. , Landberg, R. , Wu, H. , Rodriguez-Mateos, A. , Waldenborg, M. , Magnuson, A. , Blanc, S. & et al. (2019). Freeze-dried bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) dietary supplement improves walking distance and lipids after myocardial infarction: an open-label randomized clinical trial. Nutrition Research, 62, 13-22.
- Bergh, C. , Hiyoshi, A. , Eriksson, M. , Fall, K. & Montgomery, S. (2019). Shared unmeasured characteristics among siblings confound the association of Apgar score with stress resilience in adolescence. Acta Paediatrica, 108 (11), 2001-2007.
- Montgomery, S. , Bergh, C. , Udumyan, R. , Eriksson, M. , Fall, K. & Hiyoshi, A. (2018). Sex of older siblings and stress resilience. Longitudinal and life course studies, 9 (4), 447-455.
- Hiyoshi, A. , Fall, K. , Bergh, C. & Montgomery, S. (2017). Comorbidity trajectories in working age cancer survivors: A national study of Swedish men. Cancer Epidemiology, 48, 48-55.
- Bergh, C. , Fall, K. , Udumyan, R. , Sjöqvist, H. , Fröbert, O. & Montgomery, S. (2017). Severe infections and subsequent delayed cardiovascular disease. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, 24 (18), 1958-1966.
- Bergh, C. , Udumyan, R. , Appelros, P. , Fall, K. & Montgomery, S. (2016). Determinants in adolescence of stroke-related hospital stay duration in men: a national cohort study. Stroke, 47 (9), 2416-2418.
- Bergh, C. , Udumyan, R. , Fall, K. , Almroth, H. & Montgomery, S. (2015). Stress resilience and physical fitness in adolescence and risk of coronary heart disease in middle age. Heart, 101 (8), 623-629.
- Bergh, C. , Udumyan, R. , Fall, K. , Nilsagård, Y. , Appelros, P. & Montgomery, S. (2014). Stress resilience in male adolescents and subsequent stroke risk: cohort study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 85 (12), 1331-1336.
- Hjelholt, A. J. , Bergh, C. , Bhatt, D. L. , Fröbert, O. & Kjolby, M. F. (2023). Pleiotropic Effects of Influenza Vaccination. Vaccines, 11 (9).
- Hutchinson, A. , Bergh, C. , Kruger, K. , Susserová, M. , Allen, J. , Améen, S. & Tingö, L. (2021). The Effect of Probiotics on Health Outcomes in the Elderly: A Systematic Review of Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Studies. Microorganisms, 9 (6).
- Bergh, C. , Oasti, Z. & Montgomery, S. (2020). Non-psychotic mental disorders in adolescent men and risk of myocardial infarction: A national cohort study. In: European Heart Journal. Paper presented at European Society of Cardiology (ESC) 2020, Amsterdam, Netherlands, August 29 - September 1, 2020. (pp. 2812-2812). Oxford University Press.
- Bergh, C. , Mohammad, M. A. , Tham, J. , Koul, S. , Rylance, R. , Erlinge, D. & Fröbert, O. (2019). Under the weather: acute myocardial infarction and subsequent case fatality with influenza burden - a nationwide observational study. In: European Heart Journal. Paper presented at ESC Congress / World Congress of Cardiology, Paris, France, August 31 - September 4, 2019. (pp. 3994-3994). Oxford University Press.
- Montgomery, S. , Hiyoshi, A. , Bergh, C. , Udumyan, R. , Eriksson, M. & Fall, K. (2017). Foetal risks for low stress resilience are exacerbated by childhood exposures. Paper presented at Society for Longitudinal and Life Course Studies conference, Stirling, Scotland, UK, October 11-13, 2017.
- Montgomery, S. , Bergh, C. , Udumyan, R. , Eriksson, M. , Fall, K. & Hiyoshi, A. (2017). Sex of older siblings and cognitive function. Paper presented at Nobel Day's Festivities, Örebro University, Örebro, Sweden December 7, 2017.
- Montgomery, S. , Bergh, C. , Udumyan, R. , Eriksson, M. , Fall, K. & Hiyoshi, A. (2017). Sex of older siblings and cognitive function. Paper presented at 10th World Congress, Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (DOHaD 2017), Rotterdam, The Netherlands, October 15-18, 2017.
- Bergh, C. , Udumyan, R. , Fall, K. & Montgomery, S. (2015). Pre-stroke characteristics and stroke severity after first stroke in middle-aged men. In: Nordic Stroke 2015 18th Nordic Congress of Cerebrovascular Diseases. Paper presented at Nordic Stroke 2015: 18th Nordic Congress of Cerebrovascular Diseases, Malmö, Sweden, 26-28 August, 2015.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Bergh, C. (2017). Life-course influences on occurrence and outcome for stroke and coronary heart disease. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro University.
- Bergh, C. , Fall, K. , Udumyan, R. , Sjöqvist, H. , Fröbert, O. & Montgomery, S. Severe infections and subsequent delayed cardiovascular disease : national cohort study.