About Desiree Wiegleb Edström
Desiree Wiegleb Edström is a senior lecturer and assistant professor with a focus on education at the School of Medical Sciences at Örebro University and part of a group working with issues concerning medical and health professionals’ educations.
Desiree received her degree in medicine in 1985 at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm. She became a medical doctor in 1987 and a specialist in the fields of dermatology and venereology in 1994 at the Karolinska University Hospital. In 2001, she received her PhD after completing the dissertation “Long-wave ultraviolet radiation (UVA1) and visible light: Therapeutic and adverse effects in human skin” at the Karolinska Instiutet. She then became an associate professor of dermatology in 2010.
Her role at the Örebro University is as an educational developer of the medical program for undergraduates, including the mentor program and development of interprofessional education, as well as educate lecturers. She is involved in the medical program as a lecturer, base-group leader and part of the theme “Defence” at the School of Medical Sciences at Örebro University. Desiree has also been responsible for organising a number of courses in dermato-venereology at the Karolinska Institutet, which included lecturing and assessment.
Desiree´s research initially focused on how the skin is affected by light, laser and ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Her research interest has lately shifted to medical education with a focus on interprofessional education. She is involved in how to design web-based virtual patients for an interprofessional context and is interested in how interprofessional education can be applied in everyday clinical practice.
As part of a group working with medical and health care education, Desiree is involved in joint research activities in the fields of interprofessional education and clinical reasoning.
Desiree was a co-supervisor, with supervisor Samuel Edelbring, to Anne Friman, who successfully defended her thesis “Attitudes towards interprofessional work, and the conditions for knowledge development in wound management” at the Karolinska Institutet in 2015.
Articles in journals
- Edelbring, S. , Broberger, E. , Sandelius, S. , Norberg, J. & Wiegleb Edström, D. (2022). Flexible interprofessional student encounters based on virtual patients: a contribution to an interprofessional strategy. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 36 (2), 310-317.
- Friman, A. , Wiegleb Edström, D. , Ebbeskog, B. & Edelbring, S. (2020). General practitioners' knowledge of leg ulcer treatment in primary healthcare: an interview study. Primary Health Care Research and Development, 21.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. , Karlsson, N. & Edelbring, S. (2020). Using interviews and observations in clinical practice to enhance authenticity in virtual patients for interprofessional education. BMC Medical Education, 20 (1).
- Friman, A. , Wiegleb Edström, D. & Edelbring, S. (2019). General practitioners’ perceptions of their role and their collaboration with district nurses in wound care. Primary Health Care Research and Development, 20.
- Edelbring, S. , Abrandt Dahlgren, M. & Wiegleb Edström, D. (2018). Characteristics of two questionnaires used to assess interprofessional learning: psychometrics and expert panel evaluations. BMC Medical Education, 18.
- Friman, A. , Wiegleb Edström, D. & Edelbring, S. (2017). Attitudes and perceptions from nursing and medical students towards the other profession in relation to wound care. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 31 (5), 620-627.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. , Wilhemsson-Macleod, N. , Berggren, M. , Josephson, A. & Wahlgren, C. (2015). A phenomenographic study of students' conception of learning for a written examination. International Journal of Medical Education, 6, 40-46.
- Wester, U. , Wiegleb Edström, D. , Bengtsson, E. & Sallander, E. (2014). Response to Norval and de Gruijl's 'Comment on Sallander et al.'. Photodermatology, Photoimmunology & Photomedicine, 30 (4), 178-179.
- Sallander, E. , Wester, U. , Bengtsson, E. & Wiegleb Edström, D. (2013). Vitamin D levels after UVB radiation: effects by UVA additions in a randomized controlled trial. Photodermatology, Photoimmunology & Photomedicine, 29 (6), 323-329.
- Lindelöf, B. , Krynitz, B. , Ayoubi, S. , Martschin, C. , Wiegleb Edström, D. & Wiklund, K. (2012). Previous extensive sun exposure and subsequent vitamin D production in patients with basal cell carcinoma of the skin, has no protective effect on internal cancers. European Journal of Cancer, 48 (8), 1154-1158.
- Lodén, M. , Beitner, H. , Gonzalez, H. , Wiegleb Edström, D. , Åkerström, U. , Austad, J. , Buraczewska-Norin, I. , Matsson, M. & et al. (2011). Sunscreen use: controversies, challenges and regulatory aspects. British Journal of Dermatology, 165 (2), 255-262.
- Frohm Nilsson, M. , Passian, S. & Wiegleb Edström, D. (2010). Comparison of two dye lasers in the treatment of port-wine stains. Clincal and Experimental Dermatology, 35 (2), 126-130.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. , Linder, J. , Wennersten, G. , Brismar, K. & Ros, A. (2010). Phototherapy with ultraviolet radiation: a study of hormone parameters and psychological effects. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 24 (4), 403-409.
- Lysell, J. , Wiegleb Edström, D. , Linde, A. , Carlsson, G. , Malmros-Svennilson, J. , Westermark, A. , Andersson, J. & Wahlgren, C. (2009). Antiviral therapy in children with hydroa vacciniforme. Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 89 (4), 393-397.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. & Hedblad, M. (2008). Long-term follow-up of photodynamic therapy for mycosis fungoides. Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 88 (3), 288-290.
- Hörfelt, C. , Funk, J. , Frohm-Nilsson, M. , Wiegleb Edström, D. & Wennberg, A. (2006). Topical methyl aminolaevulinate photodynamic therapy for treatment of facial acne vulgaris: results of a randomized, controlled study. British Journal of Dermatology, 155 (3), 608-613.
- Mallbris, L. , Wiegleb Edström, D. , Sundblad, L. , Granath, F. & Ståhle, M. (2005). UVB upregulates the antimicrobial protein hCAP18 mRNA in human skin. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 125 (5), 1072-1074.
- Berg, M. & Wiegleb Edström, D. (2004). Flashlamp pulsed dye laser (FPDL) did not cure papulopustular rosacea. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 34 (3), 266-268.
- Lonne-Rahm, S. , Nordlind, K. , Wiegleb Edström, D. , Ros, A. & Berg, M. (2004). Laser treatment of rosacea: a pathoetiological study. Archives of Dermatology, 140 (11), 1345-1349.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. , Hedblad, M. A. & Ros, A. .. (2002). Flashlamp pulsed dye laser and argon-pumped dye laser in the treatment of port-wine stains a clinical and histological comparison. British Journal of Dermatology, 146 (2), 285-289.
- Persson, A. E. , Wiegleb Edström, D. , Bäckvall, H. , Lundeberg, J. , Pontén, F. , Ros, A. & Williams, C. (2002). The mutagenic effect of ultraviolet-A1 on human skin demonstrated by sequencing the p53 gene in single keratinocytes.. Photodermatology, Photoimmunology & Photomedicine, 18 (6), 287-93.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. , Porwit, A. & Ros, A. .. (2001). Effects on human skin of repetitive ultraviolet-A1 (UVA1) irradiation and visible light.. Photodermatology, Photoimmunology & Photomedicine, 17 (2), 66-70.
- Stocklassa, B. , Aransay-Vitores, M. , Nilsson, G. , Karlsson, C. , Wiegleb Edström, D. & Forslind, B. (2001). Evaluation of a new X-ray fluorescent analysis technique for the creation of a Nordic hair database: elemental distributions within the root and the virgin segment of hair fibers. Journal of cosmetic science, 52 (5), 297-311.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. , Porwit, A. & Ros, A. M. (2001). Photodynamic therapy with topical 5-aminolevulinic acid for mycosis fungoides: clinical and histological response. Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 81 (3), 184-188.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. & Ros, A. M. (1997). Cyclosporin A therapy for severe solar urticaria. Photodermatology, Photoimmunology & Photomedicine, 13 (1-2), 61-63.
- Wiegleb Edström, D. & Ros, A. (1997). The treatment of port-wine stains with the pulsed dye laser at 600 nm. British Journal of Dermatology, 136 (3), 360-363.
- Wang, L. , Hilliges, M. , Jernberg, T. , Wiegleb Edström, D. & Johansson, O. (1990). Protein gene product 9.5-immunoreactive nerve fibres and cells in human skin. Cell and Tissue Research, 261 (1), 25-33.
- Forslind, B. , Li, H. K. , Malmqvist, K. G. & Wiegleb Edström, D. (1986). Elemental content of anagen hairs in a normal Caucasian population studies with proton induced X-ray emission (PIXE). Scanning electron microscopy (Pt 1), 237-241.
- Forslind, B. , Li, H. K. , Malmqvist, K. G. & Wiegleb Edström, D. (1985). Elemental analysis of hair fibres using PIXE - a population study of sulphur and zinc content. Science of the Total Environment, 42 (1-2), 219-222.