About Geena Paramel
Geena Paramel received her PhD in Medical science with specialization in biomedicine at Örebro University, Sweden on a thesis titled ‘Innate Immunity in Human Atherosclerosis and Myocardial Infarction: Role of CARD8 and NLRP3’ in 2017. After conducting postdoctoral studies in metabolism lab at Dalhousie University, Canada, Geena returned to Örebro University and is actively involved both in research and teaching.
Geena Paramel is a member of a strong research environment Cardiovascular Research Center (CVRC) at Örebro University. One of the major focus of her research is to assess how endo- and exogenous factors regulate molecular and clinical changes in the proteins of innate immunity (such as CARD8, NLRP3, IL1β) that contribute to atherosclerosis. In addition to understanding the molecular mechanism, her research also aims to develop novel strategies and approaches (using drugs, small molecule inhibitors) to reduce inflammation, thrombosis, and vascular fibrosis, thus governing cardiovascular outcome. Her research interest extends to the genetic variation studies in relevance to inflammatory diseases.
Figure1: Expression of CARD8 protein (DAB/brown) in the endothelial cells (vWF/Red) of human carotid atherosclerotic plaque. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-73600-4
Geena Paramel is involved in teaching advanced level courses both at the School of Health and sciences and Medical sciences. She is the course coordinator for the Master level course, Research overview and design course (MC2034/BL2009/MC036A) and semester 7 in the medical program. Her teaching responsibilities in the International master program in the department of medical science includes literature review writing, lectures and holding Problem based learning (PBL) sessions.
Geena Paramel has ongoing collaboration with Dalhousie University, Canada, Karolinska Institute and Swedish biotech companies.
Articles in journals
- Kumawat, A. K. , Zegeye, M. M. , Paramel Varghese, G. , Baumgartner, R. , Gisterå, A. , Amegavie, O. , Hellberg, S. , Jin, H. & et al. (2022). Inhibition of IL17A Using an Affibody Molecule Attenuates Inflammation in ApoE-Deficient Mice. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 9.
- Paramel Varghese, G. , Lindkvist, M. , Idosa, B. A. , Sebina, L. S. , Kardeby, C. , Fotopoulou, T. , Pournara, D. , Kritsi, E. & et al. (2022). Novel purine analogues regulate IL-1β release via inhibition of JAK activity in human aortic smooth muscle cells. European Journal of Pharmacology, 929.
- Kumawat, A. K. , Paramel Varghese, G. , Jayaprakash, K. & Demirel, I. (2021). Human Renal Fibroblasts, but Not Renal Epithelial Cells, Induce IL-1β Release during a Uropathogenic Escherichia coli Infection In Vitro. Cells, 10 (12).
- Paramel Varghese, G. , Karadimou, G. , Göthlin Eremo, A. , Ljungberg, L. , Hedin, U. , Olofsson, P. S. , Folkersen, L. , Paulsson Berne, G. & et al. (2020). Expression of CARD8 in human atherosclerosis and its regulation of inflammatory proteins in human endothelial cells. Scientific Reports, 10 (1).
- Kardeby, C. , Paramel Varghese, G. , Pournara, D. , Fotopoulou, T. , Sirsjö, A. , Koufaki, M. , Fransén, K. & Grenegård, M. (2019). A novel purine analogue bearing nitrate ester prevents platelet activation by ROCK activity inhibition. European Journal of Pharmacology, 857.
- Zegeye, M. M. , Lindkvist, M. , Fälker, K. , Kumawat, A. K. , Paramel Varghese, G. , Grenegård, M. , Sirsjö, A. & Ljungberg, L. U. (2018). Activation of the JAK/STAT3 and PI3K/AKT pathways are crucial for IL-6 trans-signaling-mediated pro-inflammatory response in human vascular endothelial cells. Cell Communication and Signaling, 16 (1).
- Biswas, D. , Cowie, A. , Tozer, K. , Perez, L. J. , Trivedi, P. , Bartlett, J. J. , Duffley, L. , Dao, K. T. & et al. (2018). Adverse Cardiometabolic Outcomes in Obese Patients Correlates Strongly with Defective Branched-Chain Amino Acid Catabolism. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, 124, 121-122.
- D'Souza, K. , Nzirorera, C. , Cowie, A. , Paramel Varghese, G. , Trivedi, P. , Eichmann, T. , Biswas, D. , Touaibia, M. & et al. (2018). Autotaxin-Lysophosphatidic Acid Signaling Contributed to Obesity-Induced Insulin Resistance in Muscle and Impairs Mitochondrial Metabolism. Journal of Lipid Research, 59 (10), 1805-1817.
- Paramel Varghese, G. , Folkersen, L. , Strawbridge, R. J. , Halvorsen, B. , Yndestad, A. , Ranheim, T. , Krohg-Sørensen, K. , Skjelland, M. & et al. (2016). NLRP3 Inflammasome Expression and Activation in Human Atherosclerosis. Journal of the American Heart Association: Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Disease, 5 (5).
- Paramel, G. , Uporova, L. , Halfvarson, J. , Sirsjö, A. & Fransén, K. (2015). Polymorphism in the NLRP3 inflammasome-associated EIF2AK2 gene and inflammatory bowel disease. Molecular Medicine Reports, 11 (6), 4579-4584.
- Paramel, G. , Sirsjö, A. & Fransén, K. (2015). Role of genetic alterations in the NLRP3 and CARD8 genes in health and disease. Mediators of Inflammation.
- Paramel, G. , Folkersen, L. , Strawbridge, R. J. , Elmabsout, A. , Särndahl, E. , Lundman, P. , Jansson, J. , Hansson, G. K. & et al. (2013). CARD8 gene encoding a protein of innate immunity is expressed in human atherosclerosis and associated with markers of inflammation. Clinical Science, 125 (8), 401-407.
- Paramel, G. , Fransén, K. , Hurtig-Wennlöf, A. , Bengtsson, T. , Jansson, J. & Sirsjö, A. (2013). Q705K variant in NLRP3 gene confers protection against myocardial infarction in female individuals. Biomedical Reports, 1 (6), 879-882.
- Paramel Varghese, G. , D’Souza, K. & Kienesberger, P. (2018). Lysophosphatidic Acid Signaling in Obesity and Insulin Resistance. Nutrients, 10 (4).
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Paramel Varghese, G. (2017). Innate immunity in human atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction: Role of CARD8 and NLRP3. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro University.
- Kardeby, C. , Paramel Varghese, G. , Pournara, D. , Fotopoulou, T. , Sirsjö, A. , Koufaki, M. , Fransén, K. & Grenegård, M. A novel purine analogue bearing nitrate ester prevents platelet activation by ROCK activity inhibition.
- Paramel Varghese, G. , Göthlin Eremo, A. , Ljungberg, L. , Sirsjö, A. & Fransén, K. CARD8, a protein of innate immunity regulates the release of inflammatory cytokines in human endothelial cells.
- Paramel Varghese, G. , Zhang, B. , Khalaf, H. , Ljungberg, L. U. , Sirsjö, A. , Bengtsson, T. & Fransén, K. Poryphyromonas gingivalis induces IL-1β in aortic smooth muscle cells : possible role of gingipains?.