Isak DemirelTitle: Senior Lecturer School/office: School of Medical Sciences
Phone: +46 19 303472
About Isak Demirel
Isak Demirel is a Senior Lecturer in Biomedicine at the Department of Medical Sciences. He defended his thesis in 2014 at the Department of Medical Sciences. The thesis was focused on characterising the host-pathogen interaction of uropathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC) during a urinary tract infection. During the latter part of his studies, the aim was to investigate if the immune response evoked by extended spectrum beta lactamase (ESBL) isolates differs from non-ESBL-producing uropathogenic E. coli. His research aimed to characterize the virulence patterns of ESBL isolates and to identify new novel treatment options to cope with the globally increased antibiotic resistance. Isak Demirel was appointed as Associate Professor (Docent) in Biomedicine in 2019 and leads the "Demirel research group".
Isak Demirels research interests are in the field of host-pathogen interaction and kidney disease. Isak Demirel is the main supervisor of four ongoing PhD students: Anna Lindblad (leg. BMA), Stefania Kapetanaki (Leg. MD), Ulrik Engelsöy (MD) and Anna Magnusson (Leg. Dentist).
Key questions of interest:
1. How does uropathogenic E. coli interact with the urinary tract and which virulence factors does the bacteria use to colonize the bladder?
2. How does renal fibroblast contribute to the host response during a urinary tract infection?
3. Can miRNA be used as a novel alternative treatment against multi-drug resistant uropathogenic E. coli?
4. What impact does proinflammatory cytokines and hormones have on the virulence of uropathogenic E. coli and Porphyromonas gingivalis?
5. How does Porphyromonas gingivalis and Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans contribute to oral-and systemic disease?
6. How does the microbiota-generated metabolite TMAO contribute to the development of kidney disease?
Teaching and Administrative assignments
Isak Demirel is teaching at the medical school and the international master’s program in biomedicine at the department of medical sciences in different subject within biomedicine (microbiology, immunology, and cell biology).
Isak Demirel is the Unit head of unit “Yellow” at the department of medical sciences and an Editorial board member of Scientific reports.