About Lina Tingö
Lina Tingö has returned to Örebro after two years as a postdoctoral fellow at Linköping University. She defended her thesis on gastrointestinal health and ageing at Örebro University in 2016.
Currently, Lina Tingö is a researcher in the focus area of Food and Health at Örebro University. (LINK)
While at Linköping University, Lina Tingö focused on child development, from pregnancy to two years.
She is interested in the role diet plays in our health, focusing on the immune system's development and function. The common thread in her research is the importance of dietary supplements on improving health. She focuses mainly on the addition of probiotic bacteria and omega-3 fats and has been involved in several randomized intervention studies.
Lina Tingö’s teaching assignments include the role as a base group supervisor in the Programme in Medicine, at both Örebro University and Linköping University, and has supervised students in problem-based learning within the course Advanced Immunology at Linköping University.
She also supervises student academic papers in her research area, in the Programme in Medicine as well as other study programs in the Master's programme (two-year), both in Örebro and Linköping. She has also been course coordinator at Örebro Folkhögskola in the subject of scientific method and design.
Collaborations and assignments
Lina Tingö is still working part time as a scientist at Linköping University, studying childhood immunology within the Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine.
She has several national and international collaborations. For example, she has visited researchers at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, USA, to learn new experimental methods. She has a continued collaboration with scientists at Baylor to study the intestine using organoids.
Lina Tingö also studies immune-related micro-RNA in breast milk, collaborating with researchers at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology and University of Calabria in Italy.
As part of her research, she also works together with companies like BioGaia AB and Pfizer.
Articles in journals
- Tingö, L. , Hutchinson, A. N. , Bergh, C. , Stiefvatter, L. , Schweinlin, A. , Jensen, M. G. , Krüger, K. , Bischoff, S. C. & et al. (2022). Potential Modulation of Inflammation by Probiotic and Omega-3 Supplementation in Elderly with Chronic Low-Grade Inflammation-A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Nutrients, 14 (19).
- Ahlberg, E. , Jenmalm, M. C. & Tingö, L. (2021). Evaluation of five column-based isolation kits and their ability to extract miRNA from human milk. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine (Print), 25 (16), 7973-7979.
- Fart, F. , Rajan, S. K. , Wall, R. , Rangel, I. , Ganda Mall, J. P. , Tingö, L. , Brummer, R. J. , Repsilber, D. & et al. (2020). Differences in Gut Microbiome Composition between Senior Orienteering Athletes and Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Nutrients, 12 (9).
- Hutchinson, A. , Östlund-Lagerström, L. & Brummer, R. J. (2020). The Potential Effects of Probiotics and ω-3 Fatty Acids on Chronic Low-Grade Inflammation. Nutrients, 12 (8).
- Algilani, S. , Östlund-Lagerström, L. , Schoultz, I. , Brummer, R. J. & Kihlgren, A. (2016). Increasing the qualitative understanding of optimal functionality in older adults: a focus group based study. BMC Geriatrics, 16 (1).
- Östlund-Lagerström, L. , Kihlgren, A. , Repsilber, D. , Björkstén, B. , Brummer, R. J. & Schoultz, I. (2016). Probiotic administration among free-living older adults: a double blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Nutrition Journal, 15.
- Östlund-Lagerström, L. , Blomberg, K. , Algilani, S. , Schoultz, M. , Kihlgren, A. , Brummer, R. J. & Schoultz, I. (2015). Senior orienteering athletes as a model of healthy aging: a mixed-method approach. BMC Geriatrics, 15.
- Algilani, S. , Tingö, L. , Kihlgren, A. & Schröder, A. (2021). Mental health as a prerequisite for functioning as optimally as possible in old age: A phenomenological approach. Nursing Open, 8 (5), 2025-2034.
- Tingö, L. , Ahlberg, E. , Johansson, L. , Pedersen, S. A. , Chawla, K. , Sætrom, P. , Cione, E. & Simpson, M. R. (2021). Non-Coding RNAs in Human Breast Milk: A Systematic Review. Frontiers in Immunology, 12.
- Hutchinson, A. , Bergh, C. , Kruger, K. , Susserová, M. , Allen, J. , Améen, S. & Tingö, L. (2021). The Effect of Probiotics on Health Outcomes in the Elderly: A Systematic Review of Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Studies. Microorganisms, 9 (6).
- Algilani, S. , Östlund-Lagerström, L. , Kihlgren, A. , Blomberg, K. , Brummer, R. J. & Schoultz, I. (2014). Exploring the concept of optimal functionality in old age. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare, 7, 69-79.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Östlund-Lagerström, L. (2016). "The gut matters": an interdisciplinary approach to health and gut function in older adults. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro university.
- Östlund-Lagerström, L. Effect of long-term ultra-endurance training on telomere length and telomere regulatory protein expressions in vastus lateralis of healthy humans..
- Fart, F. , Tingö, L. , Engelheart, S. , Lindqvist, C. M. , Brummer, R. J. , Kihlgren, A. & Schoultz, I. Gut Health and its Associations to Well-being and Nutrient intake in Community-Dwelling Older Adults.
- Östlund-Lagerström, L. , Ganda Mall, J. , Algilani, S. , Rasoal, D. , Brummer, R. J. & Schoultz, I. Low levels of inflammation and oxidative stress in senior orienteering athletes.
- Algilani, S. , Östlund-Lagerström, L. , Kihlgren, A. , Schoultz, I. & Schröder, A. Mental health as a prerequisite for functioning as optimally as possible in old age : a phenomenological approach.
- Östlund-Lagerström, L. , Kihlgren, A. , Repsilber, D. , Björkstén, B. , Brummer, R. J. & Schoultz, I. Probiotic administration among free-living older adults : a double blinded, randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial.