About Linda Soneryd
Linda Soneryd works as lecturer in sociology at Örebro University since the autumn 2022. Before this she finished her PhD in sociology (Örebro, 2002), became associate professor/docent (Stockholm, 2008) and professor of sociology (Göteborg, 2017). Soneryd’s research focus on participatory and governing practices in relation to emerging technologies and environmental issues. How is the public and concerned groups informed about ongoing plans and decision that can have environmental impact? Who are invited to contribute to discussions or planning activities? Whose interests and knowledge are seen as relevant and how are conflicts managed? Soneryd has explored these questions in relation to a range of environmental issues such as climate change, emerging technologies and infrastructure, final disposal of nuclear waste, and water management, and in relation to urban planning and housing.
Ongoing research is about initiatives to divest the pension funds from fossil fuels, and what possibilities there are for pension savers to make such decisions themselves, i.e. to opt out from investments in oil or other fossil fuels in their own savings.
Soneryd teaches sociology, science and technology studies, and supervises bachelor and master students. She has also designed and teached PhD courses and supervised PhD students. Courses include general sociology, qualitative methods, ethnography within science and technology studies, sociology of knowledge for teachers doing their PhD’s, and sustainable development for preschool teachers. She is program director for the Personnell Work Program at Örebro University.
Soneryd is researcher at Score, Stockholm Centre for Organizational Research and PI for the project Fossil Free Futures. Divestment across the Nordic Countries. The project gathers researchers with a background in science and technology studies, sociology and economic sociology in three Nordic countries: Department of Sociology and Work Science, University of Gothenburg, CICERO, Center for International Climate Research, Oslo and the Technological University of Denmark, Copenhagen.
Soneryd has been guest researcher during longer stays Technische Universität Berlin and Humboldt Universität, Berlin. She has also been guest professor and teached sociology at the University in Bielefeld, Germany and science and technology studies at the University of Vienna.
Articles in journals
- Soneryd, L. & Petersson, J. (2022). Defend, retreat and attack: Urban waters and valuation practices. Water Alternatives, 15 (1), 175-192.
- Soneryd, L. , Bogdanova, E. & Grinderslev, T. (2022). Organising for social sustainability in urban housing: hitting the target but missing the point. Sustainable Development (August).
- Bogdanova, E. & Soneryd, L. (2022). Shifting temporalities and turning points: time to care for sustainable renovation. Time & Society (August).
- Soneryd, L. (2022). “Whose Futures?: Translating Net-Zero to Pension Savers". Futures (June).
- Bogdanova, E. & Soneryd, L. (2021). Configuring Objects and Subjects of Care in Built Heritage Management: Experimenting with Storytelling as a Participatory Device in Sweden. Planning practice + research, 36 (5), 553-566.
- Soneryd, L. (2004). Hearing as a way of dwelling: the active sense-making of environmental risk and nuisance. Environment & Planning. D, Society and Space, 22 (5), 737-753.
- Soneryd, L. & Weldon, S. (2003). Noise and newts: public engagement in the UK and Sweden. Environmental impact assessment review, 23 (1), 17-37.
- Soneryd, L. & Uggla, Y. (2000). Politics as a struggle over definition: two case studies. Environmental Science and Policy, 3 (5), 277-286.
- Lidskog, R. & Soneryd, L. (2000). Transport infrastructure investment and environmental impact assessment in Sweden: public involvement or exclusion?. Environment and planning A, 32 (8), 1465-1479.
- Soneryd, L. & Sundqvist, G. (2023). Science and Democracy: A Science and Technology Studies Approach. Bristol: Bristol University Press.
Chapters in books
- Soneryd, L. (2022). Individualiserat miljöansvar och ambivalens. In: Rolf Lidskog; Erik Löfmarck, En mänsklig natur: Risker, reglering och representationer : festskrift till Ylva Uggla (pp. 89-104). Örebro: Örebro universitet.
- Soneryd, L. & Sundqvist, G. (2022). Leaks and overflows: Two contrasting cases of hybrid participation in environmental governance. In: Andreas Birkbak; Irina Papazu, Democratic Situations (pp. 101-117). Manchester: Mattering Press.
- Landström, C. & Soneryd, L. (2022). The making of futures in sociotechnical worlds. In: U Felt, I Irwin, STS Encyclopedia. ..
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Soneryd, L. (2002). Environmental conflicts and deliberative solutions?: A case study of public participation in EIA in Sweden. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro universitetsbibliotek.
- Bråkenhielm, C. , Grape, S. , Harms-Ringdahl, M. , Hilding-Rydevik, T. , Kaiserfeld, T. , Karlsson, M. , Persson, I. & Soneryd, L. (2022). Kunskapsläget på kärnavfallsområdet 2022: Samhället, tekniken och etiken. Stockholm: Regeringskansliet (Statens offentliga utredningar : SOU 2022:7).