About this project
In progress 2019 - 2023
There is great potential and need to automate open cleaning in food production. It is a work process that today is basically completely manual, with few or no digital tools. The environment is tough and characterized by being wet, dirty, uncomfortable, and has presence of strong chemicals.
The goal is to create a new prerequisite for digitalisation/automation of the cleaning process in the food industry with real and digital infrastructure. To be successful, a system level approach is required. At present there is no such holistic perspective. An intermediate goal will be to systematize existing knowledge of cleaning techniques and methods, as well as to develop new knowledge and update cleaning routines.
Adequate cleaning in the food industry is beneficial for society in several ways. For the sake of public health, it is important that it becomes clean; at the same time, cleaning consumes a lot of resources in the form of energy, water, and chemicals. There is potential to reduce resource consumption through digitalisation and optimisation.
- Show that it is possible to digitize open cleaning using robot technology.
- Fill in the knowledge gaps that today hinder a successful digital transformation.
In order to achieve the main objectives, we will:
- Create a robot prototype that: Masters the environment; Can repeat and perform cleaning steps; Can act and be controlled in the real environment with input from a digital environment.
- Create an accurate digital representation ("digital twin") of the food production environment.
- In the real and digital environment, create, demonstrate, test, and develop better and more systematic cleaning for the food industry.
- Develop technology to detect contamination of equipment and the premises.