Visa and Residence Permit for Master's Students

Depending on what country you are from, you may need to apply for a residence permit and/or an entry visa before you leaving for Sweden. If so, make sure to apply as soon as you receive your Notification of Selection Results.

EU/EEA citizens

As an EU citizen you have the right to study or live in Sweden without a residence permit.

More information for EU Citizens from the Swedish Migration Agency.

Swiss citizens

As a citizen of Switzerland, you must apply for a residence permit in Sweden if your stay will exceed 3 months.

More information for Swiss citizens from the Swedish Migration Agency.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

Non-EU/EEA citizens must have been granted a student residence permit (uppehållstillstånd för studier) prior to entering Sweden. In order to qualify for a residence permit, you must have been granted admission to full–time studies (at least 30 credits per semester). You should apply for your permit on the Migration Agency's website or at the nearest Swedish embassy or consulate 2–3 months before departure. Do not leave for Sweden without your student residence permit! A tourist visa is not sufficient and is only valid for 3 months stay.

Applications for residence permits are processed by the Swedish Migration Agency, NOT the University. The residence permit application is your responsibility.

More information for non-EU citizens from the Swedish Migration Agency.

Here you will find complete information on residence permits, terms and details on what documents you will need to apply for a Swedish residence permit.

Search for a Swedish embassy in your country –