Visa and residence permit for studies

Depending on where you come from, you may need to apply for a residence permit and/or an entry visa before you come to Sweden. If so, please make sure to apply as soon as you receive your Notification of Selection Results. Please note that Örebro University cannot assist you in the visa/residence permit application process!

European Union students

If you are a citizen of a member country of the European Union (EU) you do not need a permit to enter Sweden.

The Swedish Migration Agency's information for EU citizens

Swiss students

If you are a Swiss citizen you have to apply for a residence permit in Sweden if your stay exceeds three months.

The Swedish Migration Agency's information for Swiss citizens

Non-EU students

All students with a citizenship in a country outside the European Union (EU) are required to obtain a residence permit before entering Sweden. Please read the information on The Swedish Migration Agency's website or get in touch with a Swedish Consulate/Embassy as soon as possible to get further information on what is required in order to obtain the residence permit. You will need the Notification of Selection Results when applying for the residence permit.

The Swedish Migration Agency's information for non-EU citizens

Residence permit cards for non-EU citizens

When granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card which proves that you have permission to be in Sweden. The card features a microchip that contains your fingerprints and photograph.

The Swedish Migration Agency has decided that people who do not need an entry visa and have been granted residence permits may enter Sweden and have their residence permit card issued here. If so, you should visit an office of the Swedish Migration Agency as soon as possible after you have received a residence permit and have arrived in Sweden. 

The Swedish Migration Agency's information on Residence permit cards