Guide for international staff

See the following guide for practical information regarding your move/visit to Sweden.

Relocating to Örebro?

Do you have questions about relocating to Sweden for work at Örebro University? Contact our Relocation Office at 

We also advise you to visit EURAXESS Sweden, a European network and a web portal that provides online information for researchers who are interested in doing research abroad. EURAXESS is also a tool for research institutes and scientific organisations to find the right international research competence.

Link to EURAXESS Sweden

Planning your stay


Depending on what country you travel from and whether it is a member of the EU or not, different rules for visa, residence permits and work permits apply.

If you plan to stay in Sweden for longer than three months you will need either a residence permit for researchers, a work permit (applies for those not doing any research) or a residence permit for studies (applies to those admitted to doctoral programmes). Consult the Swedish Migration Agency website to find out more about the different rules. If you are taking up employment at Örebro University, contact for assistance with your application. 

Find more information and online application forms on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website:

Residence permits for researchers on the Swedish Migration Agency website 
Residence permit for studies on the Swedish Migration Agency website 
Work permits on the Swedish Migration Agency website
Visas for visiting Sweden for less than 90 days
List of foreign citizens who require a visa for entry into Sweden

Örebro University offers apartments for visiting scholars. Contact your host school for more information. If you are not a visiting scholar we refer you to the local housing company Örebrobostäder, ÖBO, or a private landlord. ÖBO has a fast track for new employees that move to Örebro for work, contact for more information. 

Information about housing on the ÖBO website (in Swedish)

Information about private landlords on the Örebro Municipality website (in Swedish)

Healthcare and medical treatment

Depending on the duration of your stay and your country of citizenship, you may be eligible for tax-subsidised healthcare. Without it, medical costs in Sweden can be expensive and you should consider getting private medical insurance.

If you plan to stay in Sweden for at least one year, you must generally be entered into the Swedish population register. You do this by registering with the Swedish Tax Agency. Once you are registered in Sweden and when you have received your personal number, you are entitled to healthcare with the same conditions as other residents of Sweden. This means that you pay the regular Swedish patient fee for medical care in the public healthcare system. You may also be entitled to different types of allowances and benefits from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.

You can read more about what applies and what you need to consider in terms of medical insurance on the EURAXESS Sweden website. Remember that any family members who might have accompanied you should also be insured.

Healthcare in Sweden on EURAXESS Sweden website

Home insurance

In order for you to have your belongings insured you are recommended to get home insurance. If anything is broken or stolen in your home you may be obliged to pay for the damage and the home insurance can help with reimbursement.

If you plan to take your family with you they may need a visa or a residence permit, depending on their citizenship and the length of their stay. They should also have medical insurance that is valid in Sweden. If your partner wants to work in Sweden you will find information about the job situation in the country on the website Eures.

Eures website


If you have children you should apply for preschool and school as soon as possible.

Information about Swedish schools and preschools, parental and children benefits and spouse support on the EURAXESS Sweden website.
Childcare and education in Örebro on the Örebro Municipality website (in Swedish)

Getting settled

A sign.

It is important that you as soon as possible register with Swedish authorities such as the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket), the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) and the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). Through these you will then get a personal identity number, ID card and access to health and medical care.

If you are here for more than a year, make sure to visit Skatteverket upon arrival in order to register in the Swedish population register. When the registration is complete, you will be given a Swedish personal identity number. 

The Social Insurance Agency administers the social insurance in Sweden and decides whether you are insured in Sweden. If you are, you may be eligible to different types of benefits. Contact the Social Insurance Agency to learn more and start the registration.  

Moving to Sweden on the Swedish Tax Agency website
Moving to Sweden on the Swedish Social Insurance Agency website

Once in Sweden, you will be able to use your international bank card in any store, bank and cash machines/ATMs.

Note, to a large extent Sweden is a cash-free society. While most stores and eateries still accept cash, some will only accept payments via bankcards or the mobile payment service Swish.

If you plan to stay in Sweden for a longer period it may be a good idea to open a Swedish bank account to which you can connect a Swedish bank card. Terms and conditions for opening a bank account vary depending on the bank.

Information about banking on EURAXESS Sweden website

In the event of an emergency call 112. This number goes straight to the ambulance, police and rescue services. You get to talk with an emergency operator who will ask what has happened and where you are.

The healthcare hotline, 1177 Vårdguiden, offers free round-the-clock service for information and advice concerning medical issues. You reach them by dialling 1177.

1177 Vårdguiden website

There are several primary health care centres and hospitals with emergency rooms in the Örebro region.

Medical treatment is expensive in Sweden if you are not insured. You can read more about what applies and what you need to consider in terms of medical insurance on the EURAXESS Sweden website. Remember that those family members who might have accompanied you should also be insured.

Health and medical care on the EURAXESS Sweden website
Health insurance on the EURAXESS Sweden website

Healthcare at the university

When work-related problems occur, the occupational health services - Campus Health Services - is available at the university.


Non-prescription drugs are available at pharmacies as well as at certain supermarkets, grocery stores and petrol stations. You will need a prescription for stronger medicines and antibiotics. Prescription medicines are available only at pharmacies.


In Örebro, you can either consult the national dentist health service, Folktandvården, which is a part of Region Örebro County, or a private dentist. The cost for dental care is partly reduced if you are registered in the Swedish social insurance system.

Leaving Sweden

winter day

If you leave Sweden in order to live abroad for at least one year you have to notify the Swedish Tax Agency at least one week before.

You might need to contact the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV) and the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) regarding your future pension. Please read the information in English on our intranet under "Termination of Employment".

Contact your bank and close your bank account. This might be difficult to do from abroad.