About Elodie Ponsot
Elodie Ponsot is an Associate Professor in Sport Science (2013). Since august 2019, Elodie is also the Head of the Division of Sport Science. Since 2021, she leads the EPSM research team (Exercise Physiology and Sport Medicine).
In 2004, she obtained her PhD at the University of Strasbourg I, France, on the plasticity of muscle mitochondrial function in response to training under hypoxia in elite athletes (supported by the International Olympic Committee) and the preferential utilization of energetic substrates.
Between 2005 and 2011, she was appointed as a Post-Doc at Örebro University, first as research assistant, then as Senior Associate Lecturer. She is employed as senior lecturer since 2012. Her research focuses on acute and chronic exercise-induced adaptations with an integrative approach, i.e. from physical function to molecular and cellular mechanisms. With this approach, she is experienced in and has a strong interest for developing studies designed to better understand the use of exercise to 1) optimize performance in sports (ex: training interventions, recovery strategies), 2) promote health at stages of life (ex: healthy aging) and 3) improve health condition in patients with chronic diseases (ex: neuromuscular disorders, diabetes) or in rehabilitation process.
She also took a significant part over the years in the development of the Sport Science lab platform.
She has 20-year experience in teaching at the university level in sport physiology, molecular assessments and scientific methods at bachelor, master and research level. She has also been Programme Director of Sport Science and Coaching Programme (2017-2019) at the Division of Sport Science.
Articles in journals
- Särnblad, S. , Ponsot, E. , Leprêtre, P. & Kadi, F. (2021). Acute effects of aerobic continuous, intermittent and resistance exercise on glycemia in adolescents males with type 1 diabetes. Pediatric Diabetes, 22 (4), 610-617.
- Strandberg, E. , Ponsot, E. , Piehl-Aulin, K. , Falk, G. & Kadi, F. (2019). Resistance Training Alone or Combined With N-3 PUFA-Rich Diet in Older Women: Effects on Muscle Fiber Hypertrophy. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences, 74 (4), 489-494.
- Montiel Rojas, D. , Nilsson, A. , Ponsot, E. , Brummer, R. J. , Fairweather-Tait, S. , Jennings, A. , de Groot, L. C. P. G. M. , Berendsen, A. & et al. (2018). Short Telomere Length Is Related to Limitations in Physical Function in Elderly European Adults. Frontiers in Physiology, 9.
- Sillanpää, E. , Niskala, P. , Laakkonen, E. K. , Ponsot, E. , Alén, M. , Kaprio, J. , Kadi, F. , Kovanen, V. & et al. (2017). Leukocyte and Skeletal Muscle Telomere Length and Body Composition in Monozygotic Twin Pairs Discordant for Long-term Hormone Replacement Therapy. Twin Research and Human Genetics, 20 (2), 119-131.
- Mackey, A. L. , Rasmussen, L. K. , Kadi, F. , Schjerling, P. , Helmark, I. C. , Ponsot, E. , Aagaard, P. , Durigan, J. L. Q. & et al. (2016). Activation of satellite cells and the regeneration of human skeletal muscle are expedited by ingestion of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication. The FASEB Journal, 30 (6), 2266-2281.
- Bankole, L. , Millet, G. Y. , Temesi, J. , Bachasson, D. , Ravelojaona, M. , Wuyam, B. , Verges, S. , Ponsot, E. & et al. (2016). Safety and efficacy of a 6-month home-based exercise program in patients with facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy A randomized controlled trial. Medicine, 95 (31).
- Strandberg, E. , Edholm, P. , Ponsot, E. , Wåhlin-Larsson, B. , Hellmén, E. , Nilsson, A. , Engfeldt, P. , Cederholm, T. & et al. (2015). Influence of combined resistance training and healthy diet on muscle mass in healthy elderly women: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of applied physiology, 119 (8), 918-925.
- Marklund, P. , Mattsson, C. M. , Wåhlin-Larsson, B. , Ponsot, E. , Lindvall, B. , Lindvall, L. , Ekblom, B. & Kadi, F. (2013). Extensive inflammatory cell infiltration in human skeletal muscle in response to an ultraendurance exercise bout in experienced athletes. Journal of applied physiology, 114 (1), 66-72.
- Bankole, L. , Feasson, L. , Ponsot, E. & Kadi, F. (2013). Fibre type-specific satellite cell content in two models of muscle disease. Histopathology, 63 (6), 826-832.
- Ponsot, E. , Echaniz-Laguna, A. , Delis, A. & Kadi, F. (2012). Telomere length and regulatory proteins in human skeletal muscle with and without ongoing regenerative cycles. Experimental Physiology, 97 (6), 774-784.
- Ponsot, E. , Langberg, H. , Krogsgaard, M. R. , Kjaer, M. & Kadi, F. (2011). Telomere length of anterior crucial ligament after rupture: similar telomere length in injured and noninjured ACL portions. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 29 (1), 79-83.
- Ponsot, E. , Dufour, S. P. , Doutreleau, S. , Lonsdorfer-Wolf, E. , Lampert, E. , Piquard, F. , Geny, B. , Mettauer, B. & et al. (2010). Impairment of maximal aerobic power with moderate hypoxia in endurance athletes: do skeletal muscle mitochondria play a role?. American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 298 (3), R558-R566.
- Daussin, F. , Zoll, J. , Dufour, S. , Ponsot, E. , Lonsdorfer-Wolf, E. , Doutreleau, S. , Mettauer, B. , Piquard, F. & et al. (2008). Effect of interval versus continuous training on cardiorespiratory and mitochondrial functions: relationship to aerobic performance improvements in sedentary subjects. American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 295 (1), R264-272.
- Ponsot, E. & Kadi, F. (2008). Signal modelization for improved precision of assessment of minimum and mean telomere lengths. Electrophoresis, 29 (2), 542-544.
- Ponsot, E. , Lexell, J. & Kadi, F. (2008). Skeletal muscle telomere length is not impaired in healthy physically active old women and men. Muscle and Nerve, 37 (4), 467-472.
- Kadi, F. , Ponsot, E. , Piehl-Aulin, K. , Mackey, A. , Kjaer, M. , Oskarsson, E. & Holm, L. (2008). The effects of regular strength training on telomere length in human skeletal muscle. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 40 (1), 82-87.
- Daussin, F. , Zoll, J. , Ponsot, E. , Dufour, S. , Doutreleau, S. , Lonsdorfer, E. , Ventura-Clapier, R. , Mettauer, B. & et al. (2008). Training at high exercise intensity promotes qualitative adaptations of mitochondrial function in human skeletal muscle. Journal of applied physiology, 104 (5), 1436-1441.
- Daussin, F. N. , Ponsot, E. , Dufour, S. P. , Lonsdorfer-Wolf, E. , Doutreleau, S. , Geny, B. , Piquard, F. & Richard, R. (2007). Improvement of VO2max by cardiac output and oxygen extraction adaptation during intermittent versus continuous endurance training. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 101 (3), 377-83.
- Zoll, J. , Ponsot, E. , Dufour, S. & Flück, M. (2007). Reply to Padilla, Hamilton, Lundgren, Mckenzie, and Mickleborough. Journal of applied physiology, 103, 731-732.
- Pialoux, V. , Mounier, R. , Ponsot, E. , Rock, E. , Mazur, A. , Dufour, S. , Richard, R. , Richalet, J. & et al. (2006). Effects of exercise and training in hypoxia on antioxidant/pro-oxidant balance. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 60 (12), 1345-54.
- Dufour, S. P. , Ponsot, E. , Zoll, J. , Doutreleau, S. , Lonsdorfer-Wolf, E. , Geny, B. , Lampert, E. , Flück, M. & et al. (2006). Exercise training in normobaric hypoxia in endurance runners. I. Improvement in aerobic performance capacity.. Journal of applied physiology, 100 (4), 1238-48.
- Ponsot, E. , Dufour, S. P. , Zoll, J. , Doutrelau, S. , N'Guessan, B. , Geny, B. , Hoppeler, H. , Lampert, E. & et al. (2006). Exercise training in normobaric hypoxia in endurance runners. II. Improvement of mitochondrial properties in skeletal muscle. Journal of applied physiology, 100 (4), 1249-57.
- Zoll, J. , Ponsot, E. , Dufour, S. , Doutreleau, S. , Ventura-Clapier, R. , Vogt, M. , Hoppeler, H. , Richard, R. & et al. (2006). Exercise training in normobaric hypoxia in endurance runners. III. Muscular adjustments of selected gene transcripts. Journal of applied physiology, 100 (4), 1258-66.
- Echaniz-Laguna, A. , Zoll, J. , Ponsot, E. , N'guessan, B. , Tranchant, C. , Loeffler, J. & Lampert, E. (2006). Muscular mitochondrial function in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is progressively altered as the disease develops: A temporal study in man. Experimental Neurology, 198 (1), 25-30.
- Zoll, J. , Ponsot, E. , Doutreleau, S. , Mettauer, B. , Piquard, F. , Mazzucotelli, J. P. , Diemunsch, P. & Geny, B. (2005). Acute myocardial ischaemia induces specific alterations of ventricular mitochondrial function in experimental pigs. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, 185 (1), 25-32.
- Dufour, S. , Ponsot, E. , Zoll, J. & Richard, R. (2005). Comments on Point: Counterpoint "Positive effects of intermittent hypoxia (live high:train low) on exercise performance are/are not mediated primarily by augmented red cell volume''. Journal of applied physiology, 99 (6), 2455-2455.
- Ponsot, E. , Zoll, J. , N'guessan, B. , Ribera, F. , Lampert, E. , Richard, R. , Veksler, V. , Ventura-Clapier, R. & et al. (2005). Mitochondrial tissue specificity of substrates utilization in rat cardiac and skeletal muscles. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 203 (3), 479-86.
- Di Donna, S. , Renault, V. , Forestier, C. , Piron-Hamelin, G. , Thiesson, D. , Cooper, R. N. , Ponsot, E. , Decary, S. & et al. (2000). Regenerative capacity of human satellite cells: the mitotic clock in cell transplantation. Neurological Sciences, 21 (5 Suppl), S943-51.
- Kadi, F. & Ponsot, E. (2010). The biology of satellite cells and telomeres in human skeletal muscle: effects of aging and physical activity. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 20 (1), 39-48.
- N'Guessan, B. , Zoll, J. , Ribera, F. , Ponsot, E. , Lampert, E. , Ventura-Clapier, R. , Veksler, V. & Mettauer, B. (2004). Evaluation of quantitative and qualitative aspects of mitochondrial function in human skeletal and cardiac muscles. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 256-257 (1-2), 267-80.
- Särnblad, S. , Ponsot, E. & Kadi, F. (2017). Acute effects on glycemia of different types of exercise in youths with type 1 diabetes. Paper presented at ISPAD 2017, Innsbruck, Austria, October 18-21, 2017.
- Leprêtre, P. M. , Ponsot, E. , Särnblad, S. & Kadi, F. (2016). Cardiorespiratory responses to incremental exercise in Type 1 diabetic patients: a comparison between patients with poor and good glycaemia control. Paper presented at 26ièmes Journées Européennes de la Société Française de Cardiologie, Paris, France, 13-16 jan., 2016.
- Wahlin-Larsson, P. , Edholm, P. , Mattsson, C. , Ponsot, E. , Lindvall, B. , Ekblom, L. & Kadi, F. (2012). Ultra-endurance exercise is associated with extensive inflammatory cell infiltration in human skeletal muscle of experienced athletes. Paper presented at European College of Sport Science Congress, Bruges, Belgium, July 4-6, 2012.
- Strandberg, E. , Ponsot, E. , Piehl-Aulin, K. , Falk, G. , Hosford-Donovan, A. & Kadi, F. Mechanisms mediating skeletal muscle hypertrophy in older women following resistanceexercise combined to healthy diet.