About Patrik Karlsson
Technical background in Automotive Technology, Mechanical and Materials Engineering.
MSc in Mechanical Engineering with special focus on Materials Engineering.
PhD/ Dr.Eng in Materials Engineering.
Materials research. Characterization of materials by means of mechanical testing, advanced microscopy and computed tomography.
The materials research has, so far, been applied in research areas such as 3D-printing/ additive manufacturing, wire drawing, sheet metal forming, automotive technology, tribology (wear, friction and lubrication technology) and surface technology.
Course director and examinator in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering courses such as Engineering Materials for BSc students, Material Science for MSc students and Manufacturing Engineering for MSc students.
Supervisor and examinator of MSc/BSc thesis works.
Program director, BSc in Mechanical Engineering programs.
Articles in journals
- Alijagic, A. , Scherbak, N. , Kotlyar, O. , Karlsson, P. , Wang, X. , Odnevall, I. , Benada, O. , Amiryousefi, A. & et al. (2023). A Novel Nanosafety Approach Using Cell Painting, Metabolomics, and Lipidomics Captures the Cellular and Molecular Phenotypes Induced by the Unintentionally Formed Metal-Based (Nano)Particles. Cells, 12 (2).
- Larsson, J. , Karlsson, P. & Pejryd, L. (2020). The effect of bearing length on the surface quality of drawn wires. Wire Journal International, 53 (2), 50-55.
- Larsson, J. , Jansson, A. & Karlsson, P. (2019). Monitoring and evaluation of the wire drawing process using thermal imaging. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 101 (5-8), 2121-2134.
- Surreddi, K. B. , Oikonomou, C. , Karlsson, P. , Olsson, M. & Pejryd, L. (2018). In-situ micro-tensile testing of additive manufactured maraging steels in the SEM: Influence of build orientation, thickness and roughness on the resulting mechanical properties. La Metallurgia Italiana (3), 27-33.
- Gåård, A. , Karlsson, P. , Krakhmalev, P. & Broitman, E. (2015). Nano-scale friction of multi-phase powder metallurgy tool steels. Advanced Materials Research, 1119, 70-74.
- Karlsson, P. , Gåård, A. , Krakhmalev, P. & Berhe-Larsson, J. (2014). Influence of tool steel hard phase orientation and shape on galling. Advanced Materials Research, 966-96, 249-258.
- Karlsson, P. , Gåård, A. & Krakhmalev, P. (2014). Influence of tool steel microstructure on friction and initial material transfer. Wear, 319 (1-2), 12-18.
- Karlsson, P. , Krakhmalev, P. , Gåård, A. & Bergström, J. (2013). Influence of work material proof stress and tool steel microstructure on galling initiation and critical contact pressure. Tribology International, 60, 104-110.
- Karlsson, P. , Gåård, A. , Krakhmalev, P. & Bergström, J. (2012). Galling resistance and wear mechanisms for cold-work tool steels in lubricated sliding against high strength stainless steel sheets. Wear, 286-287, 92-97.
- Karlsson, P. , Eriksson, J. , Gåård, A. , Krakhmalev, P. , Olsson, M. & Bergström, J. (2012). Galling resistance evaluation of tool steels by two different laboratory test methods for sheet metal forming. Lubrication Science, 24 (6), 263-272.
- Alijagic, A. , Engwall, M. , Särndahl, E. , Karlsson, H. , Hedbrant, A. , Andersson, L. , Karlsson, P. , Dalemo, M. & et al. (2022). Particle Safety Assessment in Additive Manufacturing: From Exposure Risks to Advanced Toxicology Testing. Frontiers in Toxicology, 4.
- Larsson, J. , Karlsson, P. & Jansson, A. (2023). In-situ evaluation of the performance of wire drawing using multiple sensors. In: Interwire 2023. Paper presented at Wire Association International 93rd Annual Convention (Interwire 2023), Atlanta, USA, May 9-11, 2023. (pp. 3-14).
- Larsson, J. , Lindström, P. , Korin, C. , Ekengren, J. & Karlsson, P. (2023). The Influence of Nozzle Size on the Printing Process and the Mechanical Properties of FFF-Printed Parts. In: Christoph Klahn; Mirko Meboldt; Julian Ferchow, Industrializing Additive Manufacturing Proceedings of AMPA2023. Paper presented at International Conference on Additive Manufacturing in Products and Applications (AMPA 2023),. (pp. 159-170). Springer.
- Alijagic, A. , Scherbak, N. , Kotlyar, O. , Karlsson, P. , Persson, A. , Hedbrant, A. , Norinder, U. , Larsson, M. & et al. (2022). Cell Painting unveils cell response signatures to (nano)particles formed in additive manufacturing. In: Toxicology Letters. Paper presented at XVIth International Congress of Toxicology (ICT 2022) - UNITING IN TOXICOLOGY, Maastricht, The Netherlands, September 18-21, 2022. (pp. S226-S227). Elsevier.
- Larsson, J. , Garmendia Alustiza, S. , Otegi, N. & Karlsson, P. (2022). Enhanced cooling by conformal cooling of additively manufactured wire drawing tools made of cemented carbides. In: Metal Additive Manufacturing Conference Proceedings. Paper presented at Metal Additive Manufacturing Conference (MAMC 2022), Graz, Austria, September 26-28, 2022. (pp. 225-235).
- Larsson, J. , Karlsson, P. , Ekengren, J. & Pejryd, L. (2021). Enhanced Cooling Design in Wire Drawing Tooling Using Additive Manufacturing. In: Mirko Meboldt, Christoph Klahn, Industrializing Additive Manufacturing Proceedings of AMPA2020. Paper presented at The 2nd International Conference on Additive Manufacturing for Products and Applications (AMPA 2020), Zürich, Switzerland, September 1-3, 2020. (pp. 426-436). Springer, Cham.
- Karlsson, P. , Pejryd, L. & Strömberg, N. (2020). Generative Design Optimization and Characterization of Triple Periodic Lattice Structures in AlSi10Mg. In: Mirko Meboldt; Christoph Klahn, Industrializing Additive Manufacturing Proceedings of AMPA2020. Paper presented at 2nd International Conference on Additive Manufacturing for Products and Applications (AMPA 2020), Zürich, Switzerland, September 1-3, 2020. (pp. 3-16). Cham: Springer.
- Larsson, J. , Karlsson, P. & Pejryd, L. (2019). The effect of bearing length on the surface quality of drawn wire. Paper presented at 89th Annual Convention of the Wire Association International, Atlanta, USA, May 13-16, 2019.
- Karlsson, P. , Pejryd, L. & Oikonomou, C. (2017). Factors Influencing Mechanical Properties of Additive Manufactured Thin-Walled Parts. In: Euro PM2017 Congress Proceedings. Paper presented at Euro PM2017 Congress & Exhibition, Milan, Italy, October 1-5, 2017. European Powder Metallurgy Association (EPMA).
- Surreddi, K. B. , Oikonomou, C. , Karlsson, P. , Olsson, M. & Pejryd, L. (2017). In-situ Micro-tensile Testing of Additive Manufactured Maraging Steels in the SEM: Influence of Build Orientation, Thickness and Roughness on the Resulting Mechanical Properties. Paper presented at Euro PM2017 Congress & Exhibition, Milan, Italy, October 1-5, 2017.
- Pejryd, L. , Karlsson, P. , Hällgren, S. & Kahlin, M. (2016). Non-destructive evaluation of internal defects in additive manufactured aluminium. Paper presented at World PM 2016, Powder Metallurgy World Congress, Hamburg, Germany, October 9-13, 2016.
- Karlsson, P. , Gåård, A. , Krakhmalev, P. & Bergström, J. (2012). Influence of size and distribution of hard phases in tool steels on the early stage of galling. In: Herald Leitner, Regina Kranz, Angelika Tremmel, TOOL 2012 proceedings of the 9th international tooling conference, developing the world of tooling, Montanuniversität Leoben 11-14 September 2012. Paper presented at 9th International tooling conference (Tool 2012), Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria, September 11-14, 2012. Knittelfeld: Verlag "Gutenberghaus".
- Karlsson, P. , Gåård, A. , Krakhmalev, P. & Bergström, J. (2010). Galling Resistance and Wear Mechanisms for Cold Work Tool Steels in Lubricated Sliding Against High Strength Stainless Steel Sheets. In: Eric Felder; Pierre Montmitonnet, Tribology of manufacturing processes Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Tribology in Manufacturing Processes (ICTMP 2010), Volume 2. Paper presented at ICTMP 2010 - the 4th International Conference on Tribology in Manufacturing Processes, Nice, France, June 13-15, 2010. (pp. 673-682). Paris: Presses de l'Ecole des mines.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Karlsson, P. (2014). The influence of tool steel microstructure on galling. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Karlstad: Karlstads universitet.
- Zekavat, A. R. , Adibi, P. T. Z. , Johannesson, P. , Karlsson, P. , Pejryd, L. & Sjögren, T. An experimental approach to investigatethe influential parameters on mechanical strength of AlSi10Mgthin-wall structures manufactured by selective laser melting.