About Simon Athlin
Simon Athlin earned the PhD degree in 2015 defending his thesis Detection of polysaccharides and polysaccharide antibodies in pneumococcal pneumonia. He combines a postion as Associate Senior Lecturer at the School of Medical Sciences, Örebro University with clinical work as Senior Consultant at the Department of Infectious Diseases, Örebro University Hospital.
His research focus includes immune response to pneumococcal vaccination, antibody protection in pneumococcal bacteraemia, and improvement of microbiological methods for detection of pneumococcus and virus in pneumonia and inlfuenza. In collaboration with Addis Ababa University, Chalmers University of Technology and University of Gothenburg he is currently building research capacity within the SHAPE (Sustainable reduction of Household Air Pollution in rural Ethiopia) network in Ethiopia.
Simon is board member of the Infectious Disease Society of Sweden (IDSS) and chairman of IDSS´s expert group on pneumonia. As part of his committment in pneumonia management in Sweden, he is board member of the Swedish Quality Registers, held by IDSS, of which he is in charge of the Swedish Pneumonia Register. Based on register data, his research covers diagnostics, aetiology and treatment in community-acquired pneumonia in Sweden.
At Örebro University, Simon is the clinical theme leader (Theme Defense) at the School of Medicine including teaching in Infectious Diseases and Global Health. He is board member of the research environment iRiSC (Inflammatory Response and Infection Susceptibility Centre) and is coordinator of WP3 in the research project X-HiDE (Exploring Inflammation in Health and Disease).
Articles in journals
- Athlin, S. , Magnuson, A. , Spindler, C. , Hedlund, J. , Strålin, K. & Nauclér, P. (2022). Pneumococcal urinary antigen testing for antimicrobial guidance in community-acquired pneumonia: A register-based cohort study. Journal of Infection, 85 (2), 167-173.
- Nordenskjöld, A. M. , Johansson, N. , Sunnefeldt, E. , Athlin, S. & Fröbert, O. (2022). Prevalence and prognostic implications of myocardial injury in patients with influenza. European heart journal open, 2 (5).
- Schagatay, F. , Diamant, K. , Lidén, M. , Edin, A. , Athlin, S. , Hultgren, O. , Ahlm, C. , Forsell, M. N. E. & et al. (2022). Serum concentration of extracellular cold-inducible RNA-binding protein is associated with respiratory failure in COVID-19. Frontiers in Immunology, 13.
- Edlund, C. , Ternhag, A. , Skoog Ståhlgren, G. , Edquist, P. , Östholm Balkhed, Å. , Athlin, S. , Månsson, E. , Tempé, M. & et al. (2022). The clinical and microbiological efficacy of temocillin versus cefotaxime in adults with febrile urinary tract infection, and its effects on the intestinal microbiota: a randomised multicentre clinical trial in Sweden. Lancet. Infectious diseases (Print), 22 (3), 390-400.
- Hammarström, H. , Krifors, A. , Athlin, S. , Friman, V. , Golestani, K. , Hällgren, A. , Otto, G. , Oweling, S. & et al. (2022). Treatment with reduced dose trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole is effective in mild to moderate Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in patients with hematologic malignancies. Clinical Infectious Diseases.
- Wong, A. Y. W. , Johnsson, A. T. A. , Ininbergs, K. , Athlin, S. & Özenci, V. (2021). Comparison of Four Streptococcus pneumoniae Urinary Antigen Tests Using Automated Readers. Microorganisms, 9 (4).
- Wong, A. Y. W. , Johnsson, A. T. A. , Iversen, A. , Athlin, S. & Özenci, V. (2021). Evaluation of Four Lateral Flow Assays for the Detection of Legionella Urinary Antigen. Microorganisms, 9 (3).
- Larsson, E. , Johansson, S. , Fröbert, O. , Nordenskjöld, A. M. & Athlin, S. (2021). Evaluation of the ImmuView RSV Test for Rapid Detection of Respiratory Syncytial Virus in Adult Patients with Influenza-Like Symptoms. Microbiology spectrum, 9 (3).
- Uddén, F. , Ahl, J. , Littorin, N. , Strålin, K. , Athlin, S. & Riesbeck, K. (2020). Corrected and Republished from: A Nonfunctional Opsonic Antibody Response Frequently Occurs after Pneumococcal Pneumonia and Is Associated with Invasive Disease. mSphere, 5 (6).
- Olofsson, E. , Özenci, V. & Athlin, S. (2019). Evaluation of the Sofia S. pneumoniae FIA for Detection of Pneumococcal Antigen in Patients with Bloodstream Infection. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 57 (8).
- Alpkvist, H. , Athlin, S. , Mölling, P. , Norrby-Teglund, A. & Strålin, K. (2018). High HMGB1 levels in sputum are related to pneumococcal bacteraemia but not to disease severity in community-acquired pneumonia. Scientific Reports, 8 (1).
- Littorin, N. , Udden, F. , Ahl, J. , Resman, F. , Slotved, H. , Athlin, S. & Riesbeck, K. (2018). Serotypes With Low Invasive Potential Are Associated With an Impaired Antibody Response in Invasive Pneumococcal Disease. Frontiers in Microbiology, 9.
- Athlin, S. , Iversen, A. & Özenci, V. (2017). Comparison of the ImmuView and the BinaxNOW antigen tests in detection of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Legionella pneumophila in urine. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, 36 (10), 1933-1938.
- Altun, O. , Athlin, S. , Almuhayawi, M. , Strålin, K. & Özenci, V. (2016). Rapid identification of Streptococcus pneumoniae in blood cultures by using the ImmuLex, Slidex and Wellcogen latex agglutination tests and the BinaxNOW antigen test. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, 35 (4), 579-585.
- Alpkvist, H. , Athlin, S. , Naucler, P. , Herrmann, B. , Abdeldaim, G. , Slotved, H. , Hedlund, J. & Strålin, K. (2015). Clinical and Microbiological Factors Associated with High Nasopharyngeal Pneumococcal Density in Patients with Pneumococcal Pneumonia. PLOS ONE, 10 (10).
- Athlin, S. , Altun, O. , Eriksen, H. B. , Özenci, V. & Strålin, K. (2015). The UniGold(TM) Streptococcus pneumoniae urinary antigen test: an interassay comparison with the BinaxNOW (R) Streptococcus pneumoniae test on consecutive urine samples and evaluation on patients with bacteremia. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, 34 (8), 1583-1588.
- Athlin, S. , Kaltoft, M. , Slotved, H. , Herrmann, B. , Holmberg, H. , Konradsen, H. B. & Strålin, K. (2014). Association between serotype-specific antibody response and serotype characteristics in patients with pneumococcal pneumonia, with special reference to degree of encapsulation and invasive potential. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, 21 (11), 1541-1549.
- Athlin, S. & Strålin, K. (2013). The Binax NOW Streptococcus pneumoniae test applied on nasopharyngeal aspirates to support pneumococcal aetiology in community-acquired pneumonia.. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 45 (6), 425-31.
- Athlin, S. , Lidman, C. , Lundqvist, A. , Naucler, P. , Nilsson, A. C. , Spindler, C. , Strålin, K. & Hedlund, J. (2018). Management of community-acquired pneumonia in immunocompetent adults: updated Swedish guidelines 2017. Infectious Diseases, 50 (4), 247-272.
- Hulldin, J. (ed.) , Athlin, S. (ed.) , Dahlberg, K. (ed.) , Eklund, D. (ed.) , Kosamo, E. (ed.) & Pettersson, C. (ed.) (2021). Örebro University’s Nobel Day Festivities: Book of abstracts, 2021. Örebro: Örebro universitet.
- Athlin, S. (ed.) , Berglind, Å. (ed.) , Dahlberg, K. (ed.) , Ehnfors, C. (ed.) , Eklund, D. (ed.) , Hulldin, J. (ed.) & Larsson, C. (ed.) (2020). Örebro University’s Nobel Day Festivities: Book of abstracts, 2020. Örebro: Örebro universitet.
- Athlin, S. (ed.) , Berglind, Å. (ed.) , Dahlberg, K. (ed.) , Ehnfors, C. (ed.) , Eklund, D. (ed.) , Pettersson, C. (ed.) , Rangel, I. (ed.) , Rolland, A. (ed.) , Sirsjö, A. (ed.) & Venizelos, N. (ed.) (2019). Örebro University’s Nobel Day Festivities: Book of abstracts, 2019. Örebro: Örebro universitet.
- Schagatay, F. , Diamant, K. , Edin, A. , Normark, J. , Athlin, S. , Hultgren, O. , Savilampi, J. , Lange, A. & et al. (2021). Nivån av vävnadsskademarkören cold-inducible RNA-binding protein i blod associerar till grad av respiratorisk påverkan hos sjukhusvårdade patienter med Covid-19. In: Abstract Book 2021 State Of The Art Covid-19 2021. Paper presented at State of the Art Covid-19, Digitalt, 24-25 november, 2021. Svenska Läkaresällskapet.
- Athlin, S. , Larsson, E. , Nordenskjöld, A. M. & Fröbert, O. (2019). Evaluation of the novel IMMUVIEW RSV antigen test for detection of respiratory syncytial virus in adults and children. Paper presented at 29th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases (ECCMID), Amsterdam, Netherlands, 13-16 April, 2019.
- Olofsson, E. , Michelsson, L. , Özenci, V. & Athlin, S. (2018). Evaluation of the Sofia S. pneumoniae FIA and the Sofia Legionella FIA for detection of pneumococcal and L. pneumophila antigen in urine. Paper presented at 11th International Symposium Pneumococci and Pneumococcal Diseases (ISPPD-11), Melbourna, Australia, 15-19 April, 2018.
- Athlin, S. , Granath, F. , Strålin, K. , Hedlund, J. , Spindler, C. & Naucler, P. (2018). Usefulness of pneumococcal urinary antigen detection for antimicrobial guidance in community-acquired pneumonia. Paper presented at 21-28th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Madrid, Spain, 21-24 April, 2018.
- Athlin, S. , Ziegler, I. , Källgren, M. , Strålin, K. & Mölling, P. (2016). Rapid elimination of pneumococcal lytA DNA in the bloodstream of patients with invasive pneumococcal diseasae treated with beta-lactam antibiotics. Paper presented at 10t International Symptosium on Pneumococci and Pneumococcal Diseases (ISPPD-10), Glasgow, Scotland, UK, June 26-30, 2016.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Athlin, S. (2015). Detection of polysaccharides and polysaccharide antibodies in pneumococcal pneumonia. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro university.
- Alpkvist, H. , Athlin, S. , Nauclér, P. , Herrmann, B. , Abdeldaim, G. , Slotved, H. , Hedlund, J. & Strålin, K. Clinical and microbiological factors associated with high pneumococcal colonization density in pneumococcal pneumonia.
- Athlin, S. , Altun, O. , Brander Eriksen, H. , Özenci, V. & Strålin, K. The Uni-Gold™ Streptococcus pneumoniae urinary antigen test: an inter-assay comparison with the BinaxNOW® Streptococcus pneumoniae test on consecutive urine samples and evaluation on patients with bacteremia.