About Terese Glatz
Terese Glatz is an Associate Professor of Psychology. She defended her doctoral thesis in 2011 at Örebro University and after that, she did an international postdoc (financed by Vetenskapsrådet) at Wake Forest University in North Carolina, USA. Since 2018, she is hired as an Assistant Professor of Psychology at Örebro University.
Terese research focus is parenting, parent-child relationships, and children's and adolescents' development. She has a focus on how parents think and perceive their own parenting role, what can influence their sense of competence as parents, and how this make them relate and behave towards their children. One specific area concerns parents' use of the Internet and social media and how this influence their parenting beliefs and well-being. Another research area concerns violence and hostile interactions within the family environment.
Terese teaches psychology courses, in developmental psychology and method, as well as supervising student papers.
Collaboration and assignments
In addition to collaborations with researchers at Örebro university, Terese work with researchers at American and European universities. She also collaborates with professionals outside of the university. She has, for example, worked together with social workers at Family centers in Örebro, which has resulted in "Föräldraskapsleken" -- a material that can be used in the everyday work of supporting parents of young children.
Articles in journals
- Busquets, M. , Glatz, T. , Kiang, L. & Buchanan, C. (2022). Child-Invested Contingent Self-Esteem and Parenting: Exploring Differentiations by Child Successes or Failures and Ethnicity/Race. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 39 (6), 1669-1692.
- Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2022). Exploring how adolescent boys' and girls' internalizing and externalizing behaviors impact parental self-efficacy: A vignette study. Family Relations.
- Buchanan, C. M. & Glatz, T. (2022). Introduction to Special Issue "Parenting in the 21st Century". Social Sciences, 11 (10).
- Glatz, T. , Bergbom, S. & Edlund, S. (2022). Lessons Learned and Preliminary Results from Implementing Simulation-Based Elements in a Clinical Psychology Programme. Psychology Learning & Teaching (PLAT).
- Glatz, T. , Bayram Özdemir, S. & Boersma, K. (2022). Parental Child-Invested Contingent Self-Esteem as a Source of Acculturation-Related Parent-Child Conflicts Among Latino Families. Journal of Family Issues, 43 (7), 1826-1849.
- Berggren, L. , Lindberg, L. , Glatz, T. & Skoog, T. (2021). A First Examination of the Role of International Child Development Programme in School Achievement. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research, 65 (3), 359-372.
- Buchanan, C. M. , Glatz, T. , Kiang, L. & Richwine, R. (2021). Beliefs about Expressing Love to Adolescents among Ethnically and Economically Diverse Mothers. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 50 (3), 536-549.
- Kiang, L. , Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2021). Developmental Correlates of Cultural Parental Self-Efficacy among Asian and Latinx Parents. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 30 (10), 2563-2574.
- Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2021). Trends in parental self-efficacy between 1999 and 2014. Journal of Family Studies.
- Glatz, T. & Trifan, T. A. (2019). Examination of Parental Self-Efficacy and Their Beliefs About the Outcomes of Their Parenting Practices. Journal of Family Issues, 40 (10), 1321-1345.
- Glatz, T. , Lippold, M. , Jensen, T. , Fosco, G. & Feinberg, M. (2019). Hostile interactions in the family: Patterns and links to youth externalizing problems. Journal of Early Adolescence, 40 (1), 56-82.
- Glatz, T. , Källström, Å. , Hellfeldt, K. & Thunberg, S. (2019). Physical Violence in Family Sub-Systems: Links to Peer Victimization and Long-Term Emotional and Behavioral Problems. Journal of family Violence, 34 (5), 423-433.
- Tokic Milakovic, A. , Glatz, T. & Pecnik, N. (2018). How do parents facilitate or inhibit adolescent disclosure?: The role of adolescents' psychological needs satisfaction. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 35 (8), 1118-1138.
- Glatz, T. , Crowe, E. & Buchanan, C. (2018). Internet-specific parental self-efficacy: Developmental differences and links to Internet-specific mediation. Computers in human behavior, 84, 8-17.
- Lippold, M. A. , Glatz, T. , Fosco, G. M. & Feinberg, M. E. (2018). Parental perceived control and social support: linkages to change in parenting behaviors during early adolescence. Family Process, 57 (2), 432-447.
- Kiang, L. , Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2017). Acculturation Conflict, Cultural Parenting Self-Efficacy, and Perceived Parenting Competence in Asian American and Latino/a Families. Family Process, 56 (4), 943-961.
- Glatz, T. , Cotter, A. & Buchanan, C. M. (2017). Adolescents' Behaviors as Moderators for the Link between Parental Self-Efficacy and Parenting Practices. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 26 (4), 989-997.
- Glatz, T. & Koning, I. M. (2016). The Outcomes of an Alcohol Prevention Program on Parents' Rule Setting and Self-efficacy: a Bidirectional Model. Prevention Science, 17 (3), 377-385.
- Glatz, T. & Dahl, V. (2016). The role of family experiences for adolescents’ readiness to use and participate in illegal political activity. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 40 (1), 11-20.
- Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2015). Change and predictors of change in parental self-efficacy from early to middle adolescence. Developmental Psychology, 51 (10), 1367-1379.
- Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2015). Over-time associations among parental self-efficacy, promotive parenting practices, and adolescents' externalizing behaviors. Journal of family psychology, 29 (3), 427-437.
- Koning, I. M. , van den Eijnden, R. J. , Glatz, T. & Vollebergh, W. A. (2013). Don't Worry! Parental Worries, Alcohol-Specific Parenting and Adolescents' Drinking. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 37 (5), 1079-1088.
- Glatz, T. & Stattin, H. (2013). Exploring parents' experiences and reactions to adolescents' hyperactivity, impulsivity, and attention problems. Journal of Marriage and Family, 75 (4), 1030-1043.
- Glatz, T. , Stattin, H. & Kerr, M. (2012). A test of cognitive dissonance theory to explain parents' reactions to youths' alcohol intoxication. Family Relations, 61 (4), 629-641.
- Glatz, T. , Stattin, H. & Kerr, M. (2011). Parents’ reactions to youths’ hyperactivity, impulsivity, and attention problems. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 39 (8), 1125-1135.
Chapters in books
- Jonhed, A. L. & Glatz, T. (2019). Utsatthet för våld inom familjen. In: B. Johansson & Å. Källström, Barns och ungas utsatthet (pp. 21-46). Lund: Studentlitteratur AB.
- Jonhed, A. L. , Källström, Å. & Glatz, T. (2018). Utmaningar i relationsbaserat arbete med barn och föräldrar som lever med våld i familjen. In: Bruhn, Anders & Källström, Åsa, Relationer i socialt arbete : I gränslandet mellan profession och person (pp. 138-153). . Liber.
- Källström, Å. , Glatz, T. , Hellfeldt, K. & Thunberg, S. (2019). Physical Violence in Family Sub-Systems: Links to Peer Victimization and Long-Term Emotional and Behavioral Problems. Paper presented at 19th Annual Conference of the European Society of Criminology (EuroCrim 2019), Ghent, Belgium, September 18-21, 2019.
- Sorbring, E. , Osman, F. & Glatz, T. (2019). Predictors and outcomes of parental burnout in a Swedish context. In: Abstracts 1st International Conference on Parental Burnout. Paper presented at 1st International Conference on Parental Burnout, Louvain la Nueve, Belgium, December 6-7, 2019 (pp. -).
- Glatz, T. , Crowne, E. & Buchanan, C. (2016). Parents’ role in children’s Internet use. Paper presented at The SRCD Special Topic Meeting on Technology and Media in Children’s Development, Irvine, California, USA, October 27-30, 2016,.
- Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2015). Change and Predictors of Change in Parental Self-Efficacy from Early to Middle Adolescence. Paper presented at The SRCD Biennial Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, March 19-21, 2015.
- Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2014). Actor- and Partner-Effects among Mothers and Fathers’ Parental Self-efficacy, Marital Satisfaction, and Depressive Symptoms. Paper presented at The SRCD Special Topic Meeting on New Conceptualization in the Study of Parenting-at-risk, San Diego, USA, November 13-15, 2014.
- Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2014). Change and Predictors of Change in Parental Self-Efficacy from Early to Middle Adolescence. Paper presented at 23rd Biennial Meeting of the International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development (ISSBD 2014), Shanghai, China, July 9-12, 2014.
- Glatz, T. & Buchanan, C. M. (2014). Over-Time Associations Among Parental Self-Efficacy, Promotive Parenting Practices, and Adolescents’ Externalizing Behaviors. Paper presented at The SRA Biennial Meeting, Austin, USA, March 20-22, 2014.
- Glatz, T. & Stattin, H. (2011). The influence of an older child’s problematic behavior on parents’ reactions to their younger child’s problematic behavior. Paper presented at The SRCD Biennial Meeting, Montreal, Canada, March 31 - April 2, 2011.
- Glatz, T. , Stattin, H. & Kerr, M. (2010). Understanding Why Parents Give Up When They Encounter Problematic Youth Adjustment. Paper presented at 13th SRA Biennial Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, March 11-13, 2010.
- Glatz, T. , Stattin, H. & Kerr, M. (2010). Understanding why parents give up when they encounter problematic youth adjustment. Paper presented at 6th World Congress of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Boston, MA, USA, June 2-5, 2010.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Glatz, T. (2011). Parent's reactions to adolescents' problematic behaviors. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro universitet.
- Glatz, T. , Stattin, H. & Kerr, M. A test of cognitive dissonance theory to explain parents’ reactions to youths’ alcohol intoxication.
- Glatz, T. , Stattin, H. & Kerr, M. Parents’ reactions to adolescents’ hyperactivity, impulsivity, and attention problems : do their experiences of having raised a child before matter?.
- Jaf, D. , Wagnsson, S. , Skoog, T. , Glatz, T. & Özdemir, M. The role of Immigrant and Swedish Parents’ Supportive Behaviors in Sports Settings in Adolescents’ Sports Related-Values and Sports Dropout.
- Efvergren, R. , Nordqvist, E. , Glatz, T. , Elgmark, E. & Granlund, M. (2007). Uppfylls behoven av habilitering/rehabilitering hos brukare som tillhör LSS personkrets?. Jönköping; Stockholm: Hälsohögskolan; Socialstyrelsen.