Thomas StrandbergTitle: Senior Lecturer School/office: School of Law, Psychology and Social Work
Phone: +46 19 301108
About Thomas Strandberg
Since September 2018 Thomas Strandberg is the Subject Representative for Social Work at Örebro University. Thomas has a PhD in Disability Research and is an Associate Professor of Social Work. Thomas has previously worked as an upper secondary teacher at the Health Care programme and within social care for people with intellectual disabilities. Thomas is involved in the research environments Social Work Studies and Disability research.
During November 2017 – April 2018 Thomas was a Visiting Research Fellow at Ingham Institute for Applied Medical Research – Brain Injury Rehabilitation Research Group in Sydney, Australia.
Research interest/current research projects
In the research environment, Social Work Studies, Thomas is involved in research related to the research school Successful Aging – Newbreed, primarily through PhD students’ projects focusing on: International Mobility and the Socio-Economic Conditions of Older Migrants; Anti-discriminatory and indigenous social work practices towards addressing elder abuse in Uganda.
In the research environment, Disability Research, Thomas is involved in research related to disability from an interdisciplinary perspective. One study focuses on returning to work after acquired brain injury. Another study is about welfare consequences for individuals who have their driving license withdrawn due to visual field loss and is conducted in collaboration with the Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute. A further study is a longitudinal survey of children with ear inflammation and their phonological development.
Furthermore, in collaboration with a researcher at the Region Örebro County Thomas is conducting a narrative study on the life situation of people with neuropsychiatric disabilities and traumatic brain injury.
Thomas teaches within different educational programmes and courses at Örebro University and at different levels. From undergraduate level to postgraduate level, within the following subjects and areas:
- Social Work and Disability Care
- Disability research
- Research methods and qualitative method
- Leadership and organization
- Subject Representative of Social Work, 2018 – on going
- Expert in evaluation of rehabilitation for persons with traumatic brain injuries, at the Swedish Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Assessment of Social Services, 2017 – on going.
- Member of the Swedish Network of Disability Researchers, 2007 – on going.
- Head of School, School of Law, Psychology and Social Work, 2013 – 2017.
- Director of Division, Activity and Health, 2009-2013.
- Board member of Nordic Network on Disability Research, 2009 – 2017.