Application and Admission

Students looking at a computer

Welcome to apply for an exchange semester at Örebro University! Here you will find information about nomination and application. During the application period, you will find the link to the application here.

Application periods

  • Autumn semester/Full academic year: March 15 – April 15
  • Spring semester: September 15 – October 15

To be able to apply, you need to be nominated by your home university.

Nomination periods

  • Autumn semester/Full academic year: March 1 – March 31
  • Spring semester: September 1 – September 30

Our partner institutions will be notified when the nomination period opens.


Your home institution must officially nominate you as an exchange student before you can apply. The nomination deadlines are stated above. The link to the online form is sent to your home institution when the nomination period opens.


Once nominated by your home institution, you will receive an email with information about the application process. If you have not received this email, you are not nominated and cannot apply to Örebro University as an exchange student. 

The online application to Örebro University includes information about admission, course selection, housing and participation in our orientation programme. 

During the application period, we will publish the link to the application form on this page.

Supporting documents

To assess your application, you need to add the following mandatory supporting document to the application.

  • An official transcript of records written in English. The transcript of records must state all courses, grades and credits obtained at the university level, both undergraduate/bachelor level and, if applicable for you, postgraduate/master level. The document needs to be uploaded as a PDF file.

If you apply for courses at the School of Music:

  • Entrance test: Some courses require an entrance test (recordings). Please send it This is an email address.

Please note that no English language certificate is necessary.

  • The online application has been optimized to work with the latest versions of Firefox or Google Chrome. We cannot guarantee that it will function correctly with other browsers.
  • You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader if you want to print or save the application form after submission. Adobe Acrobat Reader should be installed before beginning the application process.
  • For the application process, your browser must enable cookies and JavaScript.
  • For security reasons, your log-in session will automatically be timed out if you have not entered data during this time.

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader here.


Letter of Acceptance

You will receive a letter of acceptance and a list of your selected courses about 4 weeks after the application deadline. We will send the documents to the email address that you stated in your application. 

If you don't meet the prerequisites for your selected courses, we will contact you to discuss your course selection. Please check your email, including your spam folder, regularly. 

Learning Agreements for Erasmus+ students

If you are an exchange student within the Erasmus+ programme, your Learning Agreement will be signed at the earliest at the beginning of December (for the spring semester students) and the earliest at the beginning of June (for the autumn semester students). Please do not send the Learning Agreement in advance. We will not be able to sign it.

The study advisors of the school to which the majority of your courses belong will sign it. Please find the contact information below.

Contact Information

  • School of Behavioural, Social and Legal Sciences (Law, human resource management, psychology, legal science, criminology and social work): This is an email address 

  • School of Science and Technology (Biology, physics, chemistry, environmental science, mathematics, technology, and engineering): This is an email address

  • Örebro University School of Business (Business administration, economics, statistics, informatics, and health and welfare administration): This is an email address
  • School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
    (Languages, history, literature, rhetoric, philosophy, media and communication studies, digital media design, film studies, working life education, special education, education, gender studies, sociology, political science, and human geography): This is an email address

  • School of Health Sciences (Health and medical care, sport science, audiology, and occupational therapy): This is an email address
  • School of Music, Theatre and Art (Music, acting and drama, and art for teachers): This is an email address


Depending on where you come from, you may need to apply for a residence permit and/or an entry visa before you come to Sweden. If so, please make sure to apply as soon as you receive your Letter of Acceptance. In the information below you find information about requirements for the visa, depending on what citizenship you have. 

Please note that Örebro University cannot assist you in the visa/residence permit application process.

If you are a citizen of a member country in the European Union (EU), you do not need a visa to enter Sweden.

The Swedish Migration Agency's information for EU citizens.

All students with citizenship in a country outside the European Union (EU) are required to obtain a residence permit before entering Sweden. Please read the information on The Swedish Migration Agency's website or get in touch with a Swedish Consulate/Embassy as soon as possible to get further information on what is required in order to obtain the residence permit. You will need the Letter of Acceptance when applying for the residence permit.

The Swedish Migration Agency's information for non-EU citizens.

If you are a student with Swiss citizenship, you need to apply for a residence permit in Sweden if your stay exceeds three months.

The Swedish Migration Agency's information for Swiss citizens.

When granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card that proves that you have permission to be in Sweden. The card features a microchip that contains your fingerprints and photograph.

The Swedish Migration Agency has decided that people who do not need an entry visa and have been granted residence permits may enter Sweden and have their residence permit card issued here. If so, you should visit an office of the Swedish Migration Agency as soon as possible after you have received a residence permit and have arrived in Sweden. 

The Swedish Migration Agency's information on Residence permit cards