Frequently asked questions

When, where and how do I apply for a degree?

You apply for a degree when you have completed your education. The degree certificate is issued at the higher education institution where you studied the most recent course included in your degree. You decide when you want to apply for a degree providing that you have fulfilled the requirements. You can use Studenttjänster to check that all results have been registered in the student records (Ladok) and that you have received a final grade on all courses. If something is missing or incorrect, contact the school responsible for the course. When you have checked that all results/final grades are registered, you can hand in your degree application.

Do the same regulations apply at the different higher education institutions?

Each higher education institution issues local regulations in addition to the national ones. Please note that the requirements for the same degree may vary at the different higher education institutions.

Can courses from other higher education institutions be included in the degree?

Yes, you can include courses studied at another higher education institution in Sweden.

If you have taken part in an exchange programme through Örebro University, your international studies must be credited through the school in question. Send in certified copies of any grades/transcripts/certificates you have received abroad. It is important that the documentation clearly shows which courses have been credited, the date for crediting the courses and the name of the person who made the decision.

If you have studied abroad as a free mover, send in certified copies of grades/transcripts/certificates and state which courses you would like to include in the degree.

How many higher education credits can be included in the degree?

A general degree at the first level (university diploma or bachelor's degree) contains 120 or 180 higher education credits respectively. A general degree at the second level (one-year master's degree or two-year master's degree) contains 60 or 120 higher education credits respectively.

What is the difference between credit points and higher education credits?

Higher education credits belong to the "new" system. 60 higher education credits correspond to one year of full time studies. Credit points belong to the "old" system, which applied prior to 1 July 2007. 40 credit points correspond to one year of full time studies.

Can changes be made to an issued degree?

You cannot add or remove courses from an issued degree.

Does a study programme lead to a specific degree?

At Örebro University there are several free or set study programmes. Most set programmes lead to a professional degree, and qualifications as teacher, social worker, nurse, psychologist, etc. For a general degree you do not have to follow a specific programme, as long as you fulfil the degree requirements.

Can I include courses with overlapping content?

If courses with overlapping content are included in the degree, higher education credits will be deducted from the total to compensate.

How long time does it take to issue a degree?

Our goal is to issue the degree within two months, providing that the application is complete when it reaches us. Usually it takes shorter time than two months but at the end of a semester and during holidays, longer time may be required.

Does the degree certificate cost money?

The degree certificate is issued free of charge.

Can I receive a new degree certificate if the original is lost?

The degree certificate is an original document and is only issued in one copy. You can not receive a new degree certificate if you lose it. We can send a certified copy of the copy from our archive, which would then be free of charge.

What do I have the right to appeal against and who do I contact?

Decisions concerning the crediting of courses and rejections of degree applications can be appealed against to the Higher Education Appeals Board.

The written appeal is sent to Överklagandenämnden för högskolan, Örebro University, SE-701 82 Örebro. In the appeal you must state which decision you want to appeal against and what changes you want made. The appeal must have reached the university within three weeks after you received the decision.