Zara SaeidzadehTitle: Postdoctoral Researcher School/office: School of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
Phone: +46 19 303386
About Zara Saeidzadeh
Zara Saeidzadeh is a postdoctoral researcher in Gender Studies at Örebro University in Sweden where she defended her PhD thesis on “Trans and Sex Change in Iran: A Socio-Legal Study of Gendered Policies and Practices” in June 2020 and worked as a senior lecturer and researcher in Gender Studies until April 2022.
Zara's research falls within the field of social studies of gender, sociology of law and trans* studies. In her current work, she focuses on violence against trans* people in intimate relations, family and employment, drawing on the social and legal status recognition and trans* citizenship.
Zara Saeidzadeh's current postdoctoral project is on “Violence against Trans* Women within Family and Workplace in Sweden: A Qualitative Analysis of Socio-Legal Status” funded by Swedish Research Council for Working Life, Healthcare and Welfare (FORTE). In this project, Zara investigates violence against trans* women within family and work through studying the social and legal status of trans* women in Sweden. The project aims to contribute to reduction of violence against trans* women by understanding the legal (mis)recognition of the status and needs of trans* women in their experiences of 1) being partners and parents, 2)being exposed to intimate partner violence and 3) being employed in the labour market.
Zara is currently involved in the follwoing project:
The Politics, Expressions and Prevalence of Violence against Trans* People in the EU. In collaboration with Dr Sofia Strid, associate professor in gender studies, she works on theorization of violence against trans people at the EU level, looking at policies, activism and academia within the EU.
LAWGEM: New Quality in Education for Gender Equality (2019-2022) In this project Zara Saeidzadeh is involved in drafting the syllabi and writing textbooks for a master’s programme on law and gender. Moreover, she has been working on forming a legal clinic with Susanne Strand, associate professor in criminology.
Apart from being a guest lecturer in disciplines such as anthropology, women’s studies and medicine, Zara Saeidzadeh has been involved in teaching the following courses on gender: Gender Equality and The Nordic Welfare States (undergraduate level); Gender, Power and Politics (undergraduate level); Men’s Violence against Women (undergraduate level), Gender Perspective in Medicine (postgraduate level), Redading course on Feminist Studies on Violence against Women (undergraduate advanced level).
Articles in journals
- Azadi, B. & Saeidzadeh, Z. (2022). Trans subjectivities in Iran: epistemic misrecognition. Journal of Gender Studies.
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2020). "Are trans men the manliest of men?": Gender practices, trans masculinity and mardanegi in contemporary Iran. Journal of Gender Studies, 29 (3), 295-309.
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2020). Trans* en Iran: jurisprudence médicale et pratiques sociales en matière de changement de sexe. Droit et Cultures, 2 (80).
- Saeidzadeh, Z. & Strid, S. (2020). Trans* Politics and the Feminist Project: Revisiting the Politics of Recognition to Resolve Impasses. Politics and Governance, 8 (3), 312-320.
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2019). Understanding Socio-Legal Complexities of Sex Change in Postrevolutionary Iran. Transgender Studies Quarterly, 6 (1), 80-102.
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2016). Transsexuality in Contemporary Iran: Legal and Social Misrecognition. Feminist Legal Studies, 24 (3), 249-272.
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2016). Möte med Susan Stryker: Om trans, trans* och framtidens forskning. Tidskrift för Genusvetenskap, 37 (4), 92-99.
Chapters in books
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2020). Transnational Feminist Knowledge Production. In: Sofia Strid, Dag Balkmar, Jeff Hearn and Louise Morley, Does Knowledge Have a Gender? A Festschrift for Liisa Husu on Gender, Science and Academia (pp. 146-147). Örebro: Örebro University.
- Banakar, R. & Saeidzadeh, Z. (2015). Culture: Reflections on Individualism and Community. Law and society on the roads of Islamic republic. In: Reza Banakar, Driving culture in Iran: law and society on the roads of the islamic republic (pp. 149-177). London: I.B. Tauris.
- Saeidzadeh, Z. & Strid, S. (2019). Intersectionality of trans and feminism: The politics of recognition. Paper presented at European Conference on Politics and Gender (ECPG 2019), Amsterdam, the Netherlands, July 4-6, 2019.
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2018). Socio-Legal Policies and Practices of Sex Change in Iran. In: . Paper presented at XIX International Sociological Association World Congress, Toronto, Canada, July 15-21, 2018.
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2016). Legal and Social Misrecognition of Transsexuality in Iran. Paper presented at Trans*studies: An International Transdisciplinary Conference on Gender, Embodiment, and Sexuality, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA, September 7-10, 2016.
Doctoral theses, comprehensive summaries
- Saeidzadeh, Z. (2020). Trans and Sex Change in Contemporary Iran: A Socio-Legal Study of Gendered Policies and Practices. (Doctoral dissertation). (Comprehensive summary) Örebro: Örebro University.