Robert KruseTitle: Adjunct Senior Lecturer School/office: School of Medical Sciences
Phone: +46 19 303000
About Robert Kruse
I am a molecular biologist from Lund University and both my previous and ongoing scientific activities are based on the desire to understand complex conditions in diseases, such as the systemic responses to infection. Part of my research focuses on the response to urinary tract infections with the bacterium Escherichia coli where I focus on global analyzes of the transcriptome changes in both human tissue and in uropathogenic bacteria during infection and resistance development in the treatment of antibiotics.
My position at the Clinical Research Center enables research collaboration with many different research groups, where my role varies between project management, supervision and methodological and bioinformatic analysis and consultation. The projects include omics-related research, such as the transcriptome, the proteome and the metabolite, in various diseases, such as inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, breast cancer, low birth weight, and muscular changes in muscle contraction.
I am part of the research environment Inflammatory Response and Infection Susceptibility Center (iRiSC), where I, among other things, lead a topic around the metabolism's connection to immunological response, called immunometabolism, in inflammation. In addition, I am part of a national research project on inflammatory bowel disease, BIO IBD, where I am a scientific coordinator. The project focuses on the discovery biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis and therapy responses, where different parts of the project relate to my own research on the regulatory role of microRNA (miRNAs) and their interaction with microbiota and the changes in microbiome seen in inflammatory bowel disease
- Biosignatures and functional network structures
- E. coli-induced inflammation
- Intracellular bacterial communities (IBC) and recurrent urinary tract infections
- Multiresistant ESBL-producing uropathogens - studies of antibacterial strategies and pathogenesis mechanisms
- Regulation and early signs of immunosuppression in sepsis
- Reprogrammed monocytes during infections and sepsis
Articles in journals
- Tuerxun, K. , Midtbö, K. , Särndahl, E. , Vorontsov, E. , Karlsson, R. , Persson, A. , Kruse, R. & Eklund, D. (2022). Cytokine responses to LPS in reprogrammed monocytes are associated with the transcription factor PU.1. Journal of Leukocyte Biology, 112 (4), 679-692.
- Juzenas, S. , Hübenthal, M. , Lindqvist, C. M. , Kruse, R. , Steiert, T. A. , Degenhardt, F. , Schulte, D. , Nikolaus, S. & et al. (2022). Detailed transcriptional landscape of peripheral blood points to increased neutrophil activation in treatment-naïve inflammatory bowel disease. Journal of Crohn's & Colitis, 16 (7), 1097-1109.
- Moraes Holst, L. , Halfvarson, J. , Carlson, M. , Hedin, C. , Kruse, R. , Lindqvist, C. M. , Bergemalm, D. , Almér, S. & et al. (2022). Downregulated Mucosal Autophagy, Alpha Kinase-1 and IL-17 Signaling Pathways in Active and Quiescent Ulcerative Colitis. Clinical and Experimental Gastroenterology, 15, 129-144.
- Östling, H. , Lodefalk, M. , Backman, H. & Kruse, R. (2022). Global microRNA and protein expression in human term placenta. Frontiers in Medicine, 9.
- Östling, H. , Lodefalk, M. , Backman, H. & Kruse, R. (2022). Global microRNA and protein expression in human term placenta may improve our understanding of fetal growth. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 95 (Suppl. 2), 247-247.
- Östling, H. , Lodefalk, M. , Backman, H. & Kruse, R. (2022). Global microRNA and protein expression in humanterm placenta may improve our understandingof fetal growth. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 95 (2), 247-247.
- Persson, K. , Petersson, U. , Johansson, C. , Demirel, I. & Kruse, R. (2022). Transcriptional alterations in bladder epithelial cells in response to infection with different morphological states of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Scientific Reports, 12 (1).
- Chelslín, F. , Kruse, R. , Östling, H. & Lodefalk, M. (2021). Differential microRNA expression in placentas of small-for-gestational age neonates with and without exposure to poor maternal gestational weight gain. Journal of Perinatal Medicine, 49 (5), 632-635.
- Berg von Linde, M. , Johansson, K. , Kruse, R. , Helenius, G. , Samano, N. , Friberg, Ö. , Frøbert, A. M. & Fröbert, O. (2021). Expression of Paracrine Effectors in Human Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Treated With Plasma From Brown Bears (Ursus arctos). Clinical and Translational Science, 14 (1), 317-325.
- Demirel, I. , Persson, A. , Brauner, A. , Särndahl, E. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2020). Activation of NLRP3 by uropathogenic Escherichia coli is associated with IL-1β release and regulation of antimicrobial properties in human neutrophils. Scientific Reports, 10 (1).
- Serhan, C. N. , Gupta, S. K. , Perretti, M. , Godson, C. , Brennan, E. , Li, Y. , Soehnlein, O. , Shimizu, T. & et al. (2020). The Atlas of Inflammation Resolution (AIR). Molecular Aspects of Medicine, 74.
- Östling, H. , Kruse, R. , Helenius, G. & Lodefalk, M. (2019). Placental expression of microRNAs in infants born small for gestational age. Placenta, 81, 46-53.
- Demirel, I. , Persson, A. , Brauner, A. , Särndahl, E. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2018). Activation of the NLRP3 Inflammasome Pathway by Uropathogenic Escherichia coli Is Virulence Factor-Dependent and Influences Colonization of Bladder Epithelial Cells. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 8.
- Bergemalm, D. , Kruse, R. , Sapnara, M. , Halfvarson, J. & Hultgren Hörnquist, E. (2017). Elevated fecal peptidase D at onset of colitis in Galphai2(-/-) mice, a mouse model of IBD. PLOS ONE, 12 (3).
- Bang, C. S. , Demirel, I. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2017). Global gene expression profiling and antibiotic susceptibility after repeated exposure to the carbon monoxide-releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2) in multidrug-resistant ESBL-producing uropathogenic Escherichia coli. PLOS ONE, 12 (6).
- Östling, H. , Kruse, R. , Helenius, G. & Lodefalk, M. (2017). Infants born small-for-gestational age have different placental expression of microRNAs. Hormone Research in Paediatrics, 88 (Suppl. 1), 100-101.
- Andersson, E. , Bergemalm, D. , Kruse, R. , Neumann, G. , D'Amato, M. , Repsilber, D. & Halfvarson, J. (2017). Subphenotypes of inflammatory bowel disease are characterized by specific serum protein profiles. PLOS ONE, 12 (10).
- Demirel, I. , Rangel, I. , Petersson, U. , Persson, K. & Kruse, R. (2017). Transcriptional Alterations of Virulence-Associated Genes in Extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamase (ESBL)-Producing Uropathogenic Escherichia coli during Morphologic Transitions Induced by Ineffective Antibiotics. Frontiers in Microbiology, 8.
- Vumma, R. , Bang, C. S. , Kruse, R. , Johansson, K. & Persson, K. (2016). Antibacterial effects of nitric oxide on uropathogenic Escherichia coli during bladder epithelial cell colonization-a comparison with nitrofurantoin. Journal of antibiotics (Tokyo. 1968), 69 (3), 183-186.
- Sahlberg Bang, C. , Kruse, R. , Johansson, K. & Persson, K. (2016). Carbon monoxide releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2) inhibits growth of multidrug-resistant uropathogenic Escherichia coli in biofilm and following host cell colonization. BMC Microbiology, 16 (1).
- Andersson, E. , Bergemalm, D. , Kruse, R. , D'Amato, M. , Repsilber, D. & Halfvarson, J. (2016). Inflammatory biomarkers in serum discriminate Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis from healthy controls. Journal of Crohn's & Colitis, 10 (Suppl. 1), S86-S87.
- Demirel, I. , Kruse, R. , Önnberg, A. & Persson, K. (2015). Ceftibuten-induced filamentation of extended spectrum beta lactamase (ESBL)-producing uropathogenic Escherichia coli alters host cell responses during an in vitro infection. Microbial Pathogenesis, 78, 52-62.
- Kruse, R. , Demirel, I. , Säve, S. & Persson, K. (2014). IL-8 and global gene expression analysis define a key role of ATP in renal epithelial cell responses induced by uropathogenic bacteria. Purinergic Signalling Purinergic Signalling, 10 (3), 499-508.
- Bang, C. S. , Kruse, R. , Demirel, I. , Önnberg, A. , Söderquist, B. & Persson, K. (2014). Multiresistant uropathogenic extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli are susceptible to the carbon monoxide releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2).. Microbial Pathogenesis, 66, 29-35.
- Demirel, I. , Säve, S. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2013). Expression of suppressor of cytokine signalling 3 (SOCS3) in human bladder epithelial cells infected with uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica (APMIS), 121 (2), 158-167.
- Zhang, B. , Elmabsout, A. A. , Khalaf, H. , Basic, V. T. , Jayaprakash, K. , Kruse, R. , Bengtsson, T. & Sirsjö, A. (2013). The periodontal pathogen Porphyromonas gingivalis changes the gene expression in vascular smooth muscle cells involving the TGFbeta/Notch signalling pathway and increased cell proliferation. BMC Genomics, 14, 770.
- Kruse, R. , Säve, S. & Persson, K. (2012). Adenosine triphosphate induced P2Y(2) receptor activation induces proinflammatory cytokine release in uroepithelial cells. Journal of Urology, 188 (6), 2419-2425.
- Jensen-Waern, M. , Kruse, R. & Lundgren, T. (2012). Oral immunosuppressive medication for growing pigs in transplantation studies. Laboratory Animals. Journal of the Laboratory Animal Science Association, 46 (2), 148-151.
- Kruse, R. , Dutta, P. C. & Morrell, J. M. (2011). Colloid centrifugation removes seminal plasma and cholesterol from boar spermatozoa. Reproduction, Fertility and Development, 23 (7), 858-65.
- Kruse, R. , Essén-Gustavsson, B. , Fossum, C. & Jensen-Waern, M. (2008). Blood concentrations of the cytokines IL-1beta, IL-6, IL-10, TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma during experimentally induced swine dysentery. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, 50.
- Welander, E. , Åström, M. , Enonge Fotabe, L. , Kardeby, C. , Tina, E. , Elgbratt, K. , Pourlotfi, A. , Abawi, A. & et al. (2018). Integrated analysis indicates reciprocal immune response dysregulations between bone marrow multipotent stromal cells and granulocytes at the mRNA but not at the protein level in myelofibrosis. Paper presented at Fortbildningsdagar i hematologi, Umeå, 3-5 Oktober, 2018.
- Demirel, I. , Kruse, R. , Önnberg, A. & Persson, K. Antibiotic-induced filamentation of extended spectrum beta lactamase (ESBL)-producing uropathogenic E. coli alters host cell responses during an in vitro infection.
- Göthlin Eremo, A. , Tina, E. , Kruse, R. , Fransén, K. , Wegman, P. , Repsilber, D. , Montgomery, S. , Sollie, T. & et al. Gene expression profiles in breast tumors from tamoxifen treated patients with and without distant recurrence.
- Sahlberg Bang, C. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. Global gene expression profiling and antibiotic susceptibility after repeated exposure to the carbon monoxide-releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2) in multidrug-resistant ESBL-producing uropathogenic Escherichia coli.
- Carstens, A. , Björkqvist, O. , Lindqvist, C. M. , Rangel, I. , Repsilber, D. , Eriksson, C. , Bergemalm, D. , Bresso, F. & et al. Gut microbiota associated with treatment outcome to biological treatment in inflammatory bowel disease.
- Folkesson, M. , Kruse, R. & Kadi, F. HSP27 is not mandatory for the hypertrophy of human skeletal muscle cells.