About Samira Prado
About Samira Prado
I was hired as a postdoc by ORU's Food & Health strategic initiative in 2020 and have been working in a field that integrates biochemistry, nutrition, food chemistry, and metabolomics. My work is also within PAN Sweden Centre (FORMAS) and on a daily basis I am involved with the Gut and Health team.
My research interest involves the dietary and gut-related effects of food components on human health by studying human metabolism. I have been working with dietary interventions, metabolomics, gut microbiota profiling, complementary in vitro models (e.g., cell culture and gastrointestinal system), and ex vivo assays (e.g., Ussing chamber).
PanProtein - plant-based proteins contributing to a healthy and sustainable diet is my main ongoing project, which aims to create frameworks to measure the metabolic profiling related to plant-based protein intake.
I am involved in teaching activities at the master's Program in Experimental Medicine and have been supervising bachelor and master students, in works that involve lab supervision, developing experimental protocols, data analysis and writing.
Prizes: PhD thesis received the Best PhD Thesis Award in Food Science from the Ministry of Education (Brazil) and the Best Thesis Award in Agricultural Science from the University of São Paulo.
Awarded grants: FORMAS Mobility Grant (2022-2023; ca 2M SEK), and Ekhagastiftelsen (2023-2014; 980 000 SEK).
Extra activities: Junior Faculty board representative of ORU's Medicine and Health areas.
Articles in journals
- Seeburger, P. , Forsman, H. , Bevilacqua, G. , Marques, T. M. , Morales, L. O. , Prado, S. B. R. , Strid, Å. , Hyötyläinen, T. & et al. (2023). From farm to fork… and beyond! UV enhances Aryl hydrocarbon receptor-mediated activity of cruciferous vegetables in human intestinal cells upon colonic fermentation. Food Chemistry, 426.
- Bernardino Ramos do Prado, S. , Minguzzi, B. T. , Hoffmann, C. & Fabi, J. P. (2021). Modulation of human gut microbiota by dietary fibers from unripe and ripe papayas: Distinct polysaccharide degradation using a colonic in vitro fermentation model. Food Chemistry, 348.
- Soares, C. G. , Bernardino Ramos do Prado, S. , Andrade, S. C. S. & Fabi, J. P. (2021). Systems Biology Applied to the Study of Papaya Fruit Ripening: The Influence of Ethylene on Pulp Softening. Cells, 10 (9).
- Prado, S. B. , Beukema, M. , Jermendi, E. , Schols, H. A. , de Vos, P. & Fabi, J. P. (2020). Pectin Interaction with Immune Receptors is Modulated by Ripening Process in Papayas. Scientific Reports, 10.
- Ramos do Prado, S. B. , Santos, G. R. , Mourão, P. A. & Fabi, J. P. (2019). Chelate-soluble Pectin Fraction From Papaya Pulp Interacts With galectin-3 and Inhibits Colon Cancer Cell Proliferation. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 126, 170-178.
- Ramos do Prado, S. B. , Shiga, T. M. , Horazono, Y. , Hogan, V. A. , Raz, A. , Carpita, N. C. & Fabi, J. P. (2019). Migration and proliferation of cancer cells in culture are differentially affected by molecular size of modified citrus pectin. Carbohydrate Polymers, 211, 141-151.
- Ramos do Prado, S. B. , Ferreira, G. F. , Yosuke, H. , Shiga, T. M. , Raz, A. , Carpita, N. C. & Fabi, J. P. (2017). Ripening-induced chemical modifications of papaya pectin inhibit cancer cell proliferation. Scientific Reports, 7, 1-17.
- de Menezes, E. W. , Grande, F. , Giuntini, E. B. , Cardoso Lopes, T. d. V. , Tanosov Dan, M. C. , Ramos do Prado, S. B. , Gombossy de Melo Franco, B. D. , Charrondierre, U. R. & et al. (2016). Impact of Dietary Fiber Energy on the Calculation of Food Total Energy Value in the Brazilian Food Composition Database. Food Chemistry, 193, 128-133.
- Ramos do Prado, S. B. , Giuntini, E. B. , Grande, F. & de Menezes, E. W. (2016). Techniques to evaluate changes in the nutritional profile of food products. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 53, 1-6.
- Donadio, J. L. S. , Bernardino Ramos do Prado, S. , Rogero, M. M. & Fabi, J. P. (2022). Effects of pectins on colorectal cancer: targeting hallmarks as a support for future clinical trials. Food & Function, 13 (22), 11438-11454.
- Fabi, J. P. & Ramos do Prado, S. B. (2019). Fast and furious: Ethylene-triggered changes in the metabolism of papaya fruit during ripening. Frontiers in Plant Science, 10.
Chapters in books
- Lopes, R. , do Prado, S. & Fabi, J. (2019). Nutrition, the Gastrointestinal Microbiota and Cancer Prevention. In: Thomas Prates Ong, Fernando Salvador Moreno, Nutrition and Cancer Prevention: From Molecular Mechanisms to Dietary Recommendations (pp. 261-293). . Royal Society of Chemistry.