Alexander PerssonTitle: Senior Lecturer School/office: School of Medical Sciences
Phone: +46 19 302411
About Alexander Persson
Alexander achieved his PhD in Medical Microbiology at Linköping University where he studied how apoptosis affect the capabilities of innate immune cells to respond to tuberculosis infections. He spent 3 ½ years in Canada as a post-doc before returning to Sweden as part of the strategic recruitment of assistant professors and future research leaders at Örebro University. Today he is a senior lecturer.
Alexander is active in the research environment Inflammatory Responses and Infection Susceptibility Centre (iRiSC). His research concern inflammatory responses in innate immunity. His main interest is the host inflammatory response against pathogens such as Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Neisseria meningitidis. The focus of the research is to describe how cells of innate immunity regulate the inflammatory response. In short, the research can be described to aim at answering the question: “what is it they do, that keeps us from dying” (however it rhymes better in Swedish).
In addition, inflammatory responses to non-pathogenic stimulus such as particles in our environment interests him and he has developed and am part of several research endeavours investigating the inflammatory aspects of particles including silica, nano particles and cobalt. Alexander is further one of the engineers behind and coordinator of the theme: Acute inflammation in the strategic research endevour X-HiDE.
Alexander Persson has developed and is the director of the international Master's programme in Experimental Medicine and is the coordinator of the profile Inflammation in Health and Disease during the second year of the programme. He teaches advanced laboratory- and research methodology, several theoretical areas in the programme and has developed and coordinates the profile specific course Inflammatory Responses (MC051A).
He has developed and coordinates the research education course Experimental Methodologies for Clinical Graduate Students (75MV001) where he teaches and is a mentor for the students.
He is further a popular teacher at the Medical Programme and International Master's Programme where he has lectures, seminars and laborations.
Collaborations and assignments
- Founder and co-chair of Junior Faculty
- Member of the steering committee of iRiSC
- Member of the internationalization council at Örebro University
- Member of the department management board
- Member of the work group responsible for eg immunology and immunity in the curriculum of the Medical Programme spanning semesters 2, 4 and 7.
- Member of the programme council for the International Master’s Programme in Experimental Medicine.
Articles in journals
- Alijagic, A. , Scherbak, N. , Kotlyar, O. , Karlsson, P. , Persson, A. , Hedbrant, A. , Norinder, U. , Larsson, M. & et al. (2022). Cell Painting unveils cell response signatures to (nano)particles formed in additive manufacturing. Toxicology Letters, 368 (Suppl. 1), S226-S227.
- Tuerxun, K. , Midtbö, K. , Särndahl, E. , Vorontsov, E. , Karlsson, R. , Persson, A. , Kruse, R. & Eklund, D. (2022). Cytokine responses to LPS in reprogrammed monocytes are associated with the transcription factor PU.1. Journal of Leukocyte Biology.
- Hedbrant, A. , Eklund, D. , Andersson, L. , Bryngelsson, I. , Persson, A. , Westberg, H. & Särndahl, E. (2022). Effects on white blood cell counts and the NLRP3 inflammasome due to dust and cobalt exposure in the hard metal industry. Biomarkers, 60-70.
- Alijagic, A. , Engwall, M. , Särndahl, E. , Karlsson, H. , Hedbrant, A. , Andersson, L. , Karlsson, P. , Dalemo, M. & et al. (2022). Particle Safety Assessment in Additive Manufacturing: From Exposure Risks to Advanced Toxicology Testing. Frontiers in toxicology, 4.
- Vallabani, N. V. S. , Alijagic, A. , Persson, A. , Odnevall, I. , Särndahl, E. & Karlsson, H. L. (2022). Toxicity evaluation of particles formed during 3D-printing: cytotoxic, genotoxic, and inflammatory response in lung and macrophage models. Toxicology, 467.
- Klasson, M. , Lindberg, M. , Westberg, H. , Bryngelsson, I. , Tuerxun, K. , Persson, A. & Särndahl, E. (2021). Dermal exposure to cobalt studied in vitro in keratinocytes: effects of cobalt exposure on inflammasome activated cytokines, and mRNA response. Biomarkers, 26 (8), 674-684.
- Klasson, M. , Lindberg, M. , Särndahl, E. , Westberg, H. , Bryngelsson, I. , Tuerxun, K. & Persson, A. (2021). Dose- and time-dependent changes in viability and IL-6, CXCL8 and CCL2 production by HaCaT-cells exposed to cobalt: Effects of high and low calcium growth conditions. PLOS ONE, 16 (6).
- Andersson, L. , Hedbrant, A. , Persson, A. , Bryngelsson, I. , Sjögren, B. , Stockfelt, L. , Särndahl, E. & Westberg, H. (2021). Inflammatory and coagulatory markers and exposure to different size fractions of particle mass, number and surface area air concentrations in the Swedish hard metal industry, in particular to cobalt. Biomarkers, 26 (6), 557-569.
- Demirel, I. , Persson, A. , Brauner, A. , Särndahl, E. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2020). Activation of NLRP3 by uropathogenic Escherichia coli is associated with IL-1β release and regulation of antimicrobial properties in human neutrophils. Scientific Reports, 10 (1).
- Nyman, E. , Lindh, M. , Lövfors, W. , Simonsson, C. , Persson, A. , Eklund, D. , Bäckström, E. , Fridén, M. & et al. (2020). Mechanisms of a sustained anti-inflammatory drug response in alveolar macrophages unraveled with mathematical modeling. CPT: Pharmacometrics and Systems Pharmacology (PSP), 9 (12), 707-717.
- Midtbö, K. , Eklund, D. , Särndahl, E. & Persson, A. (2020). Molecularly Distinct NLRP3 Inducers Mediate Diverse Ratios of Interleukin-1 β and Interleukin-18 from Human Monocytes. Mediators of Inflammation, 2020.
- Hedbrant, A. , Andersson, L. , Bryngelsson, I. , Eklund, D. , Westberg, H. , Särndahl, E. & Persson, A. (2020). Quartz Dust Exposure Affects NLRP3 Inflammasome Activation and Plasma Levels of IL-18 and IL-1Ra in Iron Foundry Workers. Mediators of Inflammation.
- Andersson, L. , Hedbrant, A. , Bryngelsson, I. , Persson, A. , Johansson, A. , Ericsson, A. , Vihlborg, P. , Sjögren, B. & et al. (2020). Respiratory Health and Inflammatory Markers: Exposure to Cobalt in the Swedish Hard Metal Industry. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 62 (10), 820-829.
- Westberg, H. , Hedbrant, A. , Persson, A. , Bryngelsson, I. , Johansson, A. , Ericsson, A. , Sjögren, B. , Stockfelt, L. & et al. (2019). Inflammatory and coagulatory markers and exposure to different size fractions of particle mass, number and surface area air concentrations in Swedish iron foundries, in particular respirable quartz. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 92 (8), 1087-1098.
- Asfaw Idosa, B. , Kelly, A. , Jacobsson, S. , Demirel, I. , Fredlund, H. , Särndahl, E. & Persson, A. (2019). Neisseria meningitidis-Induced Caspase-1 Activation in Human Innate Immune Cells Is LOS-Dependent. Journal of Immunology Research.
- Andersson, L. , Bryngelsson, I. , Hedbrant, A. , Persson, A. , Johansson, A. , Ericsson, A. , Lindell, I. , Stockfelt, L. & et al. (2019). Respiratory health and inflammatory markers: Exposure to respirable dust and quartz and chemical binders in Swedish iron foundries. PLOS ONE, 14 (11).
- Demirel, I. , Persson, A. , Brauner, A. , Särndahl, E. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2018). Activation of the NLRP3 Inflammasome Pathway by Uropathogenic Escherichia coli Is Virulence Factor-Dependent and Influences Colonization of Bladder Epithelial Cells. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 8.
- Andersson, H. , Andersson, B. , Eklund, D. , Ngoh, E. , Persson, A. , Svensson, K. , Lerm, M. , Blomgran, R. & et al. (2014). Apoptotic neutrophils augment the inflammatory response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in human macrophages. PLOS ONE, 9 (7).
- Hedlund, S. , Persson, A. , Vujic, A. , Che, K. F. , Stendahl, O. & Larsson, M. (2010). Dendritic cell activation by sensing Mycobacterium tuberculosis-induced apoptotic neutrophils via DC-SIGN. Human Immunology, 71 (6), 535-40.
- Persson, A. , Blomgran-Julinder, R. , Eklund, D. , Lundström, C. & Stendahl, O. (2009). Induction of apoptosis in human neutrophils by Mycobacterium tuberculosis is dependent on mature bacterial lipoproteins. Microbial Pathogenesis, 47 (3), 143-150.
- Persson, A. , Blomgran-Julinder, R. , Rahman, S. , Zheng, L. & Stendahl, O. (2008). Mycobacterium tuberculosis-induced apoptotic neutrophils trigger a pro-inflammatory response in macrophages through release of heat shock protein 72, acting in synergy with the bacteria. Microbes and infection, 10 (3), 233-240.
- Vanden Driessche, K. , Persson, A. , Marais, B. J. , Fink, P. J. & Urdahl, K. B. (2013). Immune vulnerability of infants to tuberculosis. Clinical & Developmental Immunology, 2013.
- Klasson, M. , Lindberg, M. , Westberg, H. , Bryngelsson, I. , Tuerxun, K. , Persson, A. & Särndahl, E. Dermal exposure to cobalt : possible effects of cobalt exposure on inflammasome, cytokine and mRNA response studied in vitro in keratinocytes.
- Klasson, M. , Lindberg, M. , Särndahl, E. , Bryngelsson, I. & Persson, A. Dose- and time-dependent changes in viability and IL-6, CXCL8 and CCL2 production by HaCaT-cells exposed to cobalt : Effects of high and low calcium growth conditions.
- Asfaw Idosa, B. , Jacobsson, S. , Kelly, A. , Fredlund, H. , Persson, A. & Särndahl, E. Human gene variants that regulate the NLRP3 activity limit the production of Neisseria meningitidis-induced IL-1β and IL-18.
- Asfaw Idosa, B. , Persson, A. , Jacobsson, S. , Demirel, I. , Fredlund, H. , Särndahl, E. & Kelly, A. LOS-dependent Neisseria meningitidis-induced caspase-1 activation in human neutrophils.
- Säll, O. , Eriksson, L. , Asfaw, B. , Persson, A. , Magnusson, A. , Thulin Hedberg, S. , Sundqvist, M. , Olcén, P. & et al. Prevalence and persistence of Neisseria meningitidis carriage in Swedish university students.