Om Sirajul Islam
(On-leave for teaching abroad)
(Please follow the English site for the updated version)
Dr. M. Sirajul Islam is an Associate professor (Docent) in Information Systems at the Informatics Department of Örebro University School of Business, Sweden. Siraj is specialized in teaching and research in the areas of eGovernment, Management Information Systems, ICTs for rural development (ICT4D), Design Science and Qualitative methods in IS research. He has more than a decade of experience as a faculty member and researcher in Sweden, France, the Czech Republic, Bangladesh and Rwanda.
He served as the Head of the Master's Programme in Information Systems (Information Security Management) during 2019-2022. Formerly, he was a Coordinator of an international master's program in Information Systems (eGovernment specialization) designed for the University of Rwanda (based on a blended-teaching approach) which SIDA funded through the project called "University of Rwanda (UR) -Sweden Programme for Research, Higher Education and Institutional Advancement " (2013-2018). He had served as a Deputy Team Leader of the 'eGovernment sub-programme in this project.
Siraj received his PhD in Informatics (ICT4D focus) in 2011 and MSc in Informatics (eGovernment specialisation) from Örebro University, MBAs both in Finance and Digital Technologies Management, and a Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA) from North South University, Bangladesh. During his postgraduate study at the Informatics department, he was also assigned as a Coordinator of the ‘International Network for Postgraduate Students in the area of ICT4D (IPID)’. After completing his PhD study, he worked as a Postdoctoral researcher in 'ICT for Education' (ICT4E) at Örebro University School of Business.
In 2012, Siraj received a prestigious ‘Börje Langefors best doctoral dissertation award’ from the Swedish Academy of Information Systems (Svenska informationssystemakademin) in recognition of the quality of his research in informatics in Sweden. He is one of the recipients of the ‘Strengthening ICTD Research Capacity in Asia (SIRCA)’ fellowship from Nanyang Technology University, Singapore.
As part of community services, Siraj has been involved in some journals and international conferences relevant to ICT4D and eGovernment research, namely IJESMA, ITD, JAIS (Special issue), ECIS2018-2017, IFIP9.4 2017, SWEG, IFIPeGOV, ICEGOV, ECISM, HICCS, ICTD2015 and ICTD2013. He is currently serving as an Editor of the following two (Web of Science) journals :
- Electronic Journal of Information Systems (EJISDC) - Senior Editor
- Journal of Global Information Technology Management (JGITM) - Editor
List of courses currently to teach :
- Design Research in Information Systems, 7.5 Credits (PhD level)
- IK409A : Qualitative Methods in Information Systems Research, 7.5 credits (Master's level)
- IK408A: Information Systems Theories, 7.5 credits (Master's level)
- IK411A: Professional and Academic Communication, 7. 5 credits (Master's level)
- IK412A: Thesis, 30 credits (Master's level)
- IK300G: Informatik med systemvetenskaplig inriktning (Module : Kunskapsutveckling inom informatik/Knowledge development in Informatics), 7.5 credits (Bachelor level)
- Solange Mukamurenzi (Rwanda), Topic: E-Government Service Evaluation in Rwanda: A Design Perspective (On-going)
- Pierre Bakunzibake (Rwanda), Topic: Service Process Re-design for Improved Provision of eServices (Completed)
- Wairagala Wakabi (Uganda), Topic: eParticipation in authoritarian countries (Completed)
Artiklar i tidskrifter
- Islam, M. S. & Karlsson, F. (2022). The public sector cloud service procurement in Sweden: An Exploratory Study of Use and Information Security Challenges. International Journal of Public Administration in the Digital Age, 8 (1), 1-22.
- Pelikan, E. R. , Korlat, S. , Reiter, J. , Holzer, J. , Mayerhofer, M. , Schober, B. , Spiel, C. , Hamzallari, O. & et al. (2021). Distance learning in higher education during COVID-19: The role of basic psychological needs and intrinsic motivation for persistence and procrastination-a multi-country study. PLOS ONE, 16 (10).
- Akter, S. & Islam, M. S. (2020). Factors influencing the attitude of women towards purchasing green products: An explorative case study of organic cosmetics in Sweden. Journal of Consumer Sciences, 48, 38-64.
- Mukamurenzi, S. , Grönlund, Å. & Islam, M. S. (2019). Challenges in Implementing Citizen-centric e-Government Services in Rwanda. Electronic Government, an International Journal, 15 (3), 283-302.
- Bakunzibake, P. , Klein, G. O. & Islam, M. S. (2019). E-government implementation and monitoring: The case of Rwanda ‘one-stop’ E-government. Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 85 (5).
- Bakunzibake, P. , Klein, G. O. & Islam, M. S. (2019). E-Government Implementation Process in Rwanda: Exploring Changes in a Socio-technical Perspective. Business Systems Research Journal, 10 (1), 53-73.
- Mukamurenzi, S. , Grönlund, Å. & Islam, M. S. (2019). Improving qualities of e‐government services in Rwanda: A service provider perspective. Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 85 (5).
- Thangavel, G. , Rostami, E. & Islam, M. S. (2017). Factors Influencing Non-native Parents to Use Educational e-Services: A Case Study of Preschools in A Swedish Municipality. International Journal of E-Services and Mobile Applications, 9 (4), 41-54.
- Sahlin, J. S. , Tsertsidis, A. & Islam, S. (2017). Usages and impacts of the integration of information and communication technologies (ICTs) in elementary classrooms: case study of Swedish municipality schools. Interactive Learning Environments, 25 (5), 561-579.
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2016). An international literature review of 1:1 computing in schools. Journal of educational change, 17 (2), 191-222.
- Islam, M. S. & Andersson, A. (2016). Investigating choices of appropriate devices for one-to-one computing initiatives in schools worldwide. International Journal of Information and Education Technology, 6 (10), 817-825.
- Nkohkwo, Q. N. & Islam, M. S. (2013). Challenges to the successful implementation of e-Government initiatives in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Literature Review. Electronic Journal of e-Government (EJEG), 11 (1), 253-267.
- Watson, R. T. , Kunene, K. N. & Islam, M. S. (2013). Frugal information systems (IS). Information Technology for Development, 19 (2), 176-187.
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2011). Bangladesh calling: farmers' technology use practices as a driver for development. Information Technology for Development, 17 (2), 95-111.
- Islam, M. S. & Scupola, A. (2011). E-service research trends in the domain of e-Government: a contemporary study. International Journal of E-Services and Mobile Applications, 3 (1), 38-55.
- Islam, M. S. (2011). Evaluation of an m-service for farmers in a developing region: a case study from rural Bangladesh. Media Asia, 38 (1), 41-51.
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2010). An agricultural market information service (AMIS) in Bangladesh: evaluating a mobile phone based e-service in a rural context. Information Development, 26 (4), 289-302.
- Islam, S. M. & Grönlund, Å. (2010). Factors influencing the adoption of mobile phones among the farmers in Bangladesh: theories and practices. The International Journal on Advances in ICT for Emerging Regions, 4 (1).
- Islam, M. S. (2008). Towards a sustainable e-Participation implementation model. European Journal of ePractice, 5 (10).
- Khando, K. , Gao, S. , Islam, M. S. & Salman, A. (2021). Enhancing employees information security awareness in private and public organisations: A systematic literature review. Computers & security (Print), 106.
- Islam, M. S. (2011). Creating opportunity by connecting the unconnected: mobile phone based agriculture market information service for farmers in Bangladesh. (Doctoral dissertation). (Sammanläggning) Örebro: Örebro universitet.
- Khando, K. , Islam, M. S. & Gao, S. (2022). Factors Shaping the Cashless Payment Ecosystem: Understanding the Role of Participating Actors. I: Andreja Pucihar; Mirjana Kljajić Borštnar; Roger Bons; Anand Sheombar; Guido Ongena; Doroteja Vidmar, 35th Bled eConference – Digital Restructuring and Human (Re)action: June 26 – 29, 2022, Bled, Slovenia Conference Proceedings. Konferensbidrag vid 35th Bled eConference - Digital Restructuring and Human (Re)action, Bled, Slovenia, June 26-29, 2022 (ss. 161-186). Maribor, Slovenia: University of Maribor University Press.
- Khando, K. , Islam, M. S. & Gao, S. (2022). The Use of Structuration Theory in Empirical Information Systems Research: A Systematic Literature Review. I: Savvas Papagiannidis; Eleftherios Alamanos; Suraksha Gupta; Yogesh K. Dwivedi; Matti Mäntymäki; Ilias O. Pappas, The Role of Digital Technologies in Shaping the Post-Pandemic World 21st IFIP WG 6.11 Conference on e-Business, e-Services and e-Society, I3E 2022, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, September 13–14, 2022, Proceedings. Konferensbidrag vid 21st IFIP WG 6.11 Conference on e-Business, e-Services and e-Society (I3E 2022), Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, September 13–14, 2022 (ss. 327-339). Springer.
- Mukamurenzi, S. , Grönlund, Å. & Islam, M. S. (2021). An Information Systems Artifact Approach to Evaluate e-Government Services in Rwanda. I: Euripidis Loukis; Marie Anne Macadar; Morten Meyerhoff Nielsen; Mário Peixoto, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance. Konferensbidrag vid 14th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV 2021), Athens, Greece, October 6-8, 2021 (ss. 316-323). New York: ACM Press.
- Mukamurenzi, S. , Grönlund, Å. & Islam, M. S. (2016). Evaluating eGovernment Evaluation: Trend and Issues. I: Electronic Government and Electronic Participation. Konferensbidrag vid 15th IFIP Electronic Government (EGOV) / 8th Electronic Participation (ePart) Conference, Univ Minho, Guimaraes, Portugal, September 5-8, 2016 (ss. 123-134). Amsterdam: IOS Press.
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2013). Extending development: ICT for ‘sustainable freedom’. Konferensbidrag vid the 12th International Conference on Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries (IFIP Working Group 9.4), Ocho Rios, Jamaica, 19-22 May, 2013 (ss. 456-466).
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2012). Applying design science approach in ICT4D research: mobile phone based agriculture market information service (AMIS) in Bangladesh. I: Markus Helfert, Brian Donnellan, Practical Aspects of Design Science European Design Science Symposium, EDSS 2011, Leixlip, Ireland, October 14, 2011, Revised Selected Papers. Konferensbidrag vid European Design Science Symposium 2011 (EDSS 2011), Leixlip, Ireland, October 14, 2011 (ss. 132-143). Springer.
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2012). Investigating the relationships between accountability and governments’ transformation to eGovernment. I: Jose Ramon Gil-Garcia, Natalie Helbig, Proceeding ICEGOV '12 Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance. Konferensbidrag vid 6th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV '12), Albany, USA, October 22-25, 2012 (ss. 297-300). New York, NY, USA: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2011). Digital Bangladesh: a change we can believe in ?. I: Kim Normann Andersen, Enrico Francesconi, Åke Grönlund, Tom M. van Engers, Electronic government and the information systems perspective. Konferensbidrag vid Second International Conference, EGOVIS 2011, Toulouse, France, August 29 - September 2 (ss. 107-121). Berlin: Springer.
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2010). Agriculture market information services (AMIS) in the least developed countries (LDCs): nature, scope, and challenges. I: Maria A.Wimmer, Jean-Loup Chappelet, Marijn Janssen, Hans J. Scholl, Electronic government. Konferensbidrag vid 9th IFIP WG 8.5 International Conference, EGOV 2010, Lausanne, Switzerland, August 29-September 2, 2010 (ss. 109-120). Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- Islam, M. S. & Avdic, A. (2010). Knowledge management practices in e-government: a developing country perspective. I: Tomasz Janowski, Jim Davies, ICEGOV '10 Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance. Konferensbidrag vid 4th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance, Beijing, China (ss. 73-78). New York: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2010). The Bangladesh national biometric database: a transferable success?. I: Kim Normann Andersen, Enrico Francesconi, Åke Grönlund, Tom M. van Engers, Electronic government and the information systems perspective. Konferensbidrag vid First international conference EGOVIS 2010, Bilbao, Spain, August 31-September 1, 2010 (ss. 189-203). Nerlin, Germany: Springer.
- Islam, M. S. & Alawadhi, S. (2008). Sustainable Rural IS Implementation Process for Developing Countries: Agriculture Market Information Services (AMIS) in Bangladesh. I: John Sören Pettersson, Proceedings of The 1st International Conference on M4D Mobile Communication Technology for Development (M4D 2008, General Tracks). Konferensbidrag vid 1st International Conference on M4D Mobile Communication Technology for Development, Karlstad, Sweden, December 11-12, 2008 (ss. 127-137). Karlstad: Karlstad University.
- Islam, M. S. & Grönlund, Å. (2007). Agriculture market information E-service in Bangladesh: a stakeholder-oriented case analysis. I: Maria A. Wimmer, Jochen Scholl, Åke Grönlund, Electronic government. Konferensbidrag vid 6th International Conference, EGOV 2007, Regensburg, Germany, September 3-7, 2007 (ss. 167-178). Berlin: Springer.
- Bakunzibake, P. , Klein, G. O. & Islam, M. S. A Model for Process Improvement in the Implementation of e-Government Services : Plan-Do-Evaluate-Resolve (PDER).
- Mukamurenzi, S. , Grönlund, Å. & Islam, S. M. Designing eGovernment Service Evaluation in Rwanda.
- Choudrie, J. (ed.) , Islam, M. S. (ed.) , Wahid, F. (ed.) , Bass, J. M. (ed.) & Priyatma, J. E. (ed.) (2017). Information and Communication Technologies for Development.. Springer (IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology 504).
- Hellberg, A. , Islam, S. & Karlsson, F. (2018). Säkerhet vid molnlösningar. Karlstad: Myndigheten för samhällsskydd och beredskap.