Om Katarina Persson
Katarina Persson is a professor in biomedicine with focus on pharmacology at the School of Medicine at Örebro University. She received her PhD in experimental clinical pharmacology at Lund University and has spent two years as a research fellow at University of Virginia in Charlottesville. In 2008, Katarina got a position as a professor at Örebro University where she e.g., has been engaged in implementation of the Medical programme.
Katarina Persson is active in the research environment Inflammatory Responses and Infection Susceptibility Centre (iRiSC) and her main research interest is in the field of bacteria-host interactions during urinary tract infection. The focus of the research is to understand how activation of the host inflammatory response regulates bacterial colonization of the urinary tract. Characterization of different strategies used by uropathogenic bacteria to weaken or modulate the host immune response is one research area of major interest. The increasing prevalence of antibiotic-resistant uropathogenic E. coli (UPEC) together with the recognition of UPEC as intracellular bacteria confront our current treatment regimens of urinary tract infections. Many women suffer from recurrent urinary tract infections and one hypothesis is that the presence of intracellular bacteria in the urinary bladder is of importance for the pathogenesis. Intracellular bacteria that are protected from the host inflammatory response and antibiotic treatment may later exit the host cells and re-infect the urinary tract which enhances the risk of recurrent urinary tract infections.
Katarina Persson coordinates the education in pharmacology at the Medical programme. She mainly teaches basic pharmacology during the first three years of the curriculum including lectures in pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, cardiovascular and respiratory pharmacology. She also give lectures at the international Master’s programme in Experimental Medicine. Katarina is responsible for the biomedical area of knowledge (kunskapsområdesansvarig biomedicin) at the Medical programme.
Collaborations and assignments
- Project education manager of the research profile X-HiDE (Exploring Inflammation in Health and Disease)
- Member of the steering committee of the research environment iRiSC
- Member of the programme council for the Medical programme at Örebro University
- Responsible for the biomedical area of knowledge (kunskapsområdesansvarig biomedicin) at the Medical programme
Artiklar i tidskrifter
- Lindblad, A. , Johansson, C. , Persson, K. & Demirel, I. (2022). The role of caspase-1, caspase-4 and NLRP3 in regulating the host cell response evoked by uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Scientific Reports, 12 (1).
- Kapetanaki, S. , Kumawat, A. K. , Persson, K. & Demirel, I. (2022). TMAO Suppresses Megalin Expression and Albumin Uptake in Human Proximal Tubular Cells Via PI3K and ERK Signaling. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 23 (16).
- Persson, K. , Petersson, U. , Johansson, C. , Demirel, I. & Kruse, R. (2022). Transcriptional alterations in bladder epithelial cells in response to infection with different morphological states of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Scientific Reports, 12 (1).
- Kapetanaki, S. , Kumawat, A. K. , Persson, K. & Demirel, I. (2021). The Fibrotic Effects of TMAO on Human Renal Fibroblasts Is Mediated by NLRP3, Caspase-1 and the PERK/Akt/mTOR Pathway. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 22 (21).
- Demirel, I. , Persson, A. , Brauner, A. , Särndahl, E. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2020). Activation of NLRP3 by uropathogenic Escherichia coli is associated with IL-1β release and regulation of antimicrobial properties in human neutrophils. Scientific Reports, 10 (1).
- Lindblad, A. , Persson, K. & Demirel, I. (2019). IL-1RA is part of the inflammasome-regulated immune response in bladder epithelial cells and influences colonization of uropathogenic E. coli. Cytokine, 123.
- Eriksson, A. L. , Böttiger, Y. , Ekman, A. , Reis, M. , Persson, K. , Pettersson Kymmer, U. & Wallerstedt, S. M. (2019). Läkemedelsarbete behöver vara integrerat i klinisk utbildning: Att göra många läkemedelsgenomgångar ökar trygghet och reflektion över patientens behandling, visar enkätstudie [Preparing for the licence to prescribe in medical school: a questionnaire study on medical students professional confidence in the art of prescribing]. Läkartidningen, 116.
- Demirel, I. , Persson, A. , Brauner, A. , Särndahl, E. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2018). Activation of the NLRP3 Inflammasome Pathway by Uropathogenic Escherichia coli Is Virulence Factor-Dependent and Influences Colonization of Bladder Epithelial Cells. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, 8.
- Bang, C. S. , Demirel, I. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2017). Global gene expression profiling and antibiotic susceptibility after repeated exposure to the carbon monoxide-releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2) in multidrug-resistant ESBL-producing uropathogenic Escherichia coli. PLOS ONE, 12 (6).
- Demirel, I. , Rangel, I. , Petersson, U. , Persson, K. & Kruse, R. (2017). Transcriptional Alterations of Virulence-Associated Genes in Extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamase (ESBL)-Producing Uropathogenic Escherichia coli during Morphologic Transitions Induced by Ineffective Antibiotics. Frontiers in Microbiology, 8.
- Vumma, R. , Bang, C. S. , Kruse, R. , Johansson, K. & Persson, K. (2016). Antibacterial effects of nitric oxide on uropathogenic Escherichia coli during bladder epithelial cell colonization-a comparison with nitrofurantoin. Journal of antibiotics (Tokyo. 1968), 69 (3), 183-186.
- Sahlberg Bang, C. , Kruse, R. , Johansson, K. & Persson, K. (2016). Carbon monoxide releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2) inhibits growth of multidrug-resistant uropathogenic Escherichia coli in biofilm and following host cell colonization. BMC Microbiology, 16 (1).
- Demirel, I. , Kruse, R. , Önnberg, A. & Persson, K. (2015). Ceftibuten-induced filamentation of extended spectrum beta lactamase (ESBL)-producing uropathogenic Escherichia coli alters host cell responses during an in vitro infection. Microbial Pathogenesis, 78, 52-62.
- Önnberg, A. , Söderquist, B. , Persson, K. & Mölling, P. (2014). Characterization of CTX-M-producing Escherichia coli by repetitive sequence-based PCR and real-time PCR-based replicon typing of CTX-M-15 plasmids. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica (APMIS), 122 (11), 1136-1143.
- Kruse, R. , Demirel, I. , Säve, S. & Persson, K. (2014). IL-8 and global gene expression analysis define a key role of ATP in renal epithelial cell responses induced by uropathogenic bacteria. Purinergic Signalling Purinergic Signalling, 10 (3), 499-508.
- Bang, C. S. , Kruse, R. , Demirel, I. , Önnberg, A. , Söderquist, B. & Persson, K. (2014). Multiresistant uropathogenic extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli are susceptible to the carbon monoxide releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2).. Microbial Pathogenesis, 66, 29-35.
- Bang, C. S. , Kinnunen, A. , Karlsson, M. , Önnberg, A. , Söderquist, B. & Persson, K. (2014). The antibacterial effect of nitric oxide against ESBL-producing uropathogenic E-coli is improved by combination with miconazole and polymyxin B nonapeptide. BMC Microbiology, 14.
- Demirel, I. , Kinnunen, A. , Önnberg, A. , Söderquist, B. & Persson, K. (2013). Comparison of host response mechanisms evoked by extended spectrum beta lactamase (ESBL)- and non-ESBL-producing uropathogenic E. coli. BMC Microbiology, 13.
- Demirel, I. , Säve, S. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. (2013). Expression of suppressor of cytokine signalling 3 (SOCS3) in human bladder epithelial cells infected with uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica (APMIS), 121 (2), 158-167.
- Kruse, R. , Säve, S. & Persson, K. (2012). Adenosine triphosphate induced P2Y(2) receptor activation induces proinflammatory cytokine release in uroepithelial cells. Journal of Urology, 188 (6), 2419-2425.
- Demirel, I. , Vumma, R. , Mohlin, C. , Svensson, L. , Säve, S. & Persson, K. (2012). Nitric oxide activates IL-6 production and expression in human renal epithelial cells. American Journal of Nephrology, 36 (6), 524-530.
- Hälleberg-Nyman, M. , Johansson, J. , Persson, K. & Gustafsson, M. (2011). A prospective study of nosocomial urinary tract infection in hip fracture patients. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20 (17-18), 2531-2539.
- Säve, S. , Mohlin, C. , Vumma, R. & Persson, K. (2011). Activation of adenosine A2A receptors inhibits neutrophil transuroepithelial migration. Infection and Immunity, 79 (8), 3431-3437.
- Säve, S. & Persson, K. (2010). Effects of adenosine A(2A) and A(2B) receptor activation on signaling pathways and cytokine production in human uroepithelial cells. Pharmacology, 86 (3), 129-137.
- Säve, S. & Persson, K. (2010). Extracellular ATP and P2Y receptor activation induce a proinflammatory host response in the human urinary tract. Infection and Immunity, 78 (8), 3609-3615.
- Svensson, L. , Poljakovic, M. , Säve, S. , Gilberthorpe, N. , Schön, T. , Strid, S. , Corker, H. , Poole, R. K. & et al. (2010). Role of flavohemoglobin in combating nitrosative stress in uropathogenic Escherichia coli: implications for urinary tract infection. Microbial Pathogenesis, 49 (3), 59-66.
- Svensson, L. , Säve, S. & Persson, K. (2010). The effect of nitric oxide on adherence of P-fimbriated uropathogenic Escherichia coli to human renal epithelial cells. BJU International, 105 (12), 1726-1731.
- Säve, S. , Mjösberg, J. , Poljakovic, M. , Mohlin, C. & Persson, K. (2009). Adenosine receptor expression in Escherichia coli-infected and cytokine-stimulated human urinary tract epithelial cells. BJU International, 104 (11), 1758-1765.
- Mohlin, C. , Säve, S. , Nilsson, M. & Persson, K. (2009). Studies of the extracellular ATP-adenosine pathway in human urinary tract epithelial cells. Pharmacology, 84 (4), 196-202.
- Svensson, L. , Poljakovic, M. , Demirel, I. , Sahlberg, C. & Persson, K. (2018). Host-Derived Nitric Oxide and Its Antibacterial Effects in the Urinary Tract. Advances in Microbial Physiology, 73, 1-62.
- Demirel, I. , Kruse, R. , Önnberg, A. & Persson, K. Antibiotic-induced filamentation of extended spectrum beta lactamase (ESBL)-producing uropathogenic E. coli alters host cell responses during an in vitro infection.
- Sahlberg Bang, C. , Kruse, R. & Persson, K. Global gene expression profiling and antibiotic susceptibility after repeated exposure to the carbon monoxide-releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2) in multidrug-resistant ESBL-producing uropathogenic Escherichia coli.